Open Club  ·  90 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What is your best childhood memory?

shoppingnut

Every summer we would go to visit my great aunt, who lived at a lake in Michigan. We swam all day and played kick the can every evening with all of the kids up and down the shore. Some day maybe I will be able to get back there to see the place through adult eyes. My aunt died some years ago and her place has been torn down to make way for a luxury home...

Biting my cousin on the hand when I was maybe 4 years old because he took all of my big red blocks. Not because he wanted them but because he didn't want me to have them. He deserved it; he was always a jerk to me.

Roasting marshmallows on a stick over the dying coals of the grill on a summer night.

Waking up early and walking up the street to watch the morning glory's open in the morning sun.

Riding in the wheel barrow on top of the grass clipping when our neighbor was pushing it to the ravine.

My mom making homemade pizza and watching hockey night in Canada on Saturday night. Cleaning the house with my mom and stepdad and my brother every Saturday. Every Saturday my mom would turn on music and everybody would clean the house together. The year my mom took a year off work and I was able to come home for lunch from school and sit with my mom and have a hot lunch.

My eighth birthday. I felt like I was a princess for a day. I was so excited !I got taken to the most expensive place in town I got to have a lobster dinner and the place even had ballroom dancing. I got to pick out my own huge princess cake. Even though the day was more than 40 years ago I still remember the excitement of it. That day I felt like I really really mattered.

Swimming naked in the ocean, lol.

Eating bread drizzled with olive oil and salt

My grandfather picking strawberries with me

Watching a bee sting my youngest sister and not doing a thing about it. Because, funny.

Kicking the next door neighbor in the stomach for spitting on my new jacket. Saw the jerk a few years ago, he's still an arse lol.

BBQ's with my family

Trips to Italy

Cuddles from my grandmother

Playing cards with my nonno

Being force fed sweets every Christmas

Going into town every Saturday morning with my mum, buying my comic then standing in the shop window reading it while she bought the bread

Holidays in Devon

Getting our first video recorder and being able to rent films without waiting for them on TV

Watching the A-Team on a small black and white portable while eating sausage rolls

Too many to count, but the first time I rode a horse and they began to gallop and I knew exactly what to do, how to hold on, how to move to let the horse go faster. And we flew accross the desert floor. Pure bliss and a speed junkie and horsewoman was born that day. I was nine.

Also the really elaborate whole neighborhood nighttime hide and go seek fests we'd hold with kids and adults in the summer. We turned the game into a serious art form. I mean, people who wouldn't even talk to each other in the daylight would turn out for these things and be teammates. It was crazy, wild, stupid, dangerous and the most fun I think I ever had. I still miss it.

Having picnics in the backyard.

Going to the lake with my family.

Riding on my dad's back, piggy back style.

Playing with the dog outside.

Eating berries out of the berry brushes in the backyard.

Smelling the cow manure and fermented grapes.

I miss being more carefree than I am now. I wish I could go back to a time where I had maybe fewer worries. Now I am older and adulthood largely sucks. My family keeps me going and the memories do too.

I really like this memory mhowe. A great one.

Thanks to you for sparking it up! Our summer vacations when I was a late teen would be to charter a large sailboat for the last two weeks of the summer. We were each allowed to invite a friend for a few days and the kids all slept on the boat and my parents would get a hotel room.

They were awesome vacations...and I now live in the area we came to!

Archived