Open Club  ·  89 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Random Things that Frighten You

John John

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most horror movies frighten me. I have been known to sleep with the lights on after watching scary movies. I particularly can't stand horror movies that are also really gory or violent. My ex dragged me out to the theater to see one of the Saw movies a few years ago, and we had to leave half way through it. I had my eyes covered the whole time, but hearing the violence was enough for me, I started sobbing and we left, and then I had nightmares. I know in my head that it's all fake, but it still scares me.

Lol, yes! I get this one. The first episode of Walking Dead, I had nightmares for months...it took me so long to watch another episode. I'm working on desensitizing myself...because I get so scared I won't sleep for weeks. Supernatural used to do that to me too...I AM Legend....I don't know why I got so worked up. I would see an advertisement for The Ring or whatever on the tv, and I would have nightmares for weeks.

Most of my nightmares are of my girl getting hurt or dying...or me dying and leaving her to zombies I made my bf promise that if an Apocalypse ever happens, that if he's alive, he'll come for both of us. Poor guy probably thinks I'm nuts. That's my biggest fear. Not being able to watch my girl grow up. It used to be my parents dying when I was younger...but I'm hitting acceptance that one day that will happen. But...to lose my girl...or to die without seeing her grow up...that wakes me and leaves me cold in the middle of the night.

I am also now afraid of horse jumping . I used to do this, but then I had a bad accident where I ended up in the emergency room. It took me a year to get the courage to get back on a horse. I'm fine with riding now, I don't get scared if a horse spooks, rears or bolts on me--I can totally handle it, but I am still too scared to jump again.

I used to love Criminal Minds...and then it got too dark for me.

Agreed. I can no longer handle it. I'm getting needlessly paranoid and living in the country I do not need to be paranoid. Just well-prepared and security conscious.

And happybear, I understand about the horse jumping. Sorry you had that happen, I've never been very comfortable with that even though I live and breathe horses.

I also have a fear of quicksand after riding a horse into a patch of it once years ago while visiting friends in Louisiana. Fortunately it was a fairly shallow pool, but still pulling the terrified horse out was nearly impossible. I won't ride horses around rivers and lakes or near any body of water ever since, even in New Mexico. I know it's ridiculous, but I can't help but worry to the point of telegraphing my fear to the horse and that's always a very bad thing to do.

Are you sure? Because this scares the crap out of me.

That's nothing compared to this.

Sweet dreams.

I'm surprised many here are scared of scary movies/shows. I watch crime shows daily, love scary movies, etc. Do they make me scared? Well, maybe a little but that's part of the fun. I can usually get to sleep though.

Back when I used to have sleepovers as a young girl though, I would kind of freak my friends out. I've always gotten pretty philosophical at night sometimes. I remember my one friend, she told me, I guess we were sleeping together somewhere and I started talking about death and said something like "Have you ever looked at your hands and then imagined them turning into dirt and worms?" or something like that. Then I rolled over and I said goodnight and fell asleep. Apparently that thought kept her up ALL NIGHT. LOL.

Birds. I remember writing about it once someone else had this fear too I think hers? Anyway I hate hate birds! I'll take a picture of a colourful bird from really far but I don't want to be close to it!

My biggest fear is crows. They are so ugly and just eeekkk. I think about them attacking me and flying over my head and what of one lands on me... Seriously I think I'd have a heart attack.

I'm also afraid of rodents so mice, rats, anything that looks like a rat like guinea pigs. Ugh. No thanks. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to love Criminal Minds...and then it got too dark for me.

The scariest one was when a woman woke up in the middle of the night, and was sleeping in her own bed next to someone under the covers. Normal right? Until she turned to her right, and saw her husband tied up and gagged with a look of terror on his face, making her realize it was NOT her husband lying next to her under the covers!

I also don't do that well with horror movies. Particularly religious ones, like The Exorcist or The Omen....the latter still scares me as an adult man! The Exorcist was never that scary to me, except for the parts where they flashed devil's face!! To me, that is the scariest face I have EVER seen!

You guys are all giving me goose bumps! Especially the thing about the rearview mirror in the car when it's dark, and someone looking back at you!!

* Death by drowning.

* Having someone offer me a breath mint because I actually need it. (I chew gum all the time for this reason.)

* Someone's in my closet or behind the shower curtain waiting for me to get home so they can do unspeakable things to me. (Thanks, Forensic Files and Criminal Minds.)

* Losing my mobility, memories or cognitive ability.

Sorry if that stuff was too dark for this thread . . .

The scariest one was when a woman woke up in the middle of the night, and was sleeping in her own bed next to someone under the covers. Normal right? Until she turned to her right, and saw her husband tied up and gagged with a look of terror on his face, making her realize it was NOT her husband lying next to her under the covers!

Oooooh, I remember that one. For me the worst was the two guys using the dead cats ruse to get into the houses of families they targeted. "Hey, is this your cat? It jumped in front of my car..." It just freaked me out, because I would so open the door for anyone doing that. On the other hand, I can look at it as survival training--no serial killas getting into my crib anytime soon.

Bot flies and The Walking Dead are both just gross, not scary. Although I do love to sit with my son and predict whose going to be eaten for each episode although I have to watch it with a throw pillow up to cover my eyes from the gore. I love, love, love a good scary ghost story, but I hate those films and shows that go for the gross out instead and overdo that to the point of just gore for the sake of gore. It's why I refuse to watch the Saw films, which are just sickening. I simply can't buy the idea that one person is that all-clever and powerful and so far ahead of everyone else. If I can't eat a meal after watching a film or TV show then yeah, it's too much.

Also does anyone else love how no one ever learns anything in The Walking Dead. They all know and understand early on that noise attracts Walkers and yet that particular cast of characters will simply blunder around making more noise than a bunch of kids in a rock concert. And they do it all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Links posted for bot fly infestations - NSFW?

Jonty - that's amazing! Kudos to your sister for keeping the bugger!

The deep ocean and space scares the heck out of me. I can't watch space movies - I get so paranoid.

I don't like spiders either.

Ghosts. I've had a paranormal experience and I don't think I've been so scared in my life. And don't even THINK of asking me to do one of those "go sleep in a haunted hotel" things.

Archived