DepthOfField

Clinton, is it possible that your wife "forgot" to take them? As in, she actually wanted kids and pulled an 'oops' on you?

Because I've heard of that happening. Usually it's not malicious, more in terms of a couple being married and the man and wife are thinking about kids in the future, but the wife has ideas of her own.

I think if you're in a LTR and you're monogamous, and you have a reliable birth control method, you can go without condoms. The idea of everyone having to use rubbers unless they want children is crazy.

I used the pill for a couple years. I eventually switched to an IUD which I still have in me today. I think if you're worried about the woman messing up the birth control, then ask her how she feels about an IUD. I couldn't mess with this thing even if I wanted to. And unlike the Pill, it requires no pills so its effectiveness is never dependent on you taking a pill or anything.

So According to this logic ... Everybody should use condoms unless they're trying to conceive.

Right.

Keep in mind, I always always withdraw when I'm bare. The probably of getting pregnant and using the pill carefully, is virtually slim to none.

Withdrawal as a method of birth control is next to useless.

Ummmm ... Yes.

Why would we use condoms on the pill?

One good reason I can think of is to give yourself time to know each other better, to have more foundation for trust based on more time and facts, before potentially exposing yourself to health issues that can be transmitted by bare sex. And before trusting this woman with being the sole guardian of the birth control method.

That's just my thinking.

Withdrawal as a method of birth control is next to useless.

That's why they will also use the pill. Withdrawal can be a great back-up method of birth control, much like natural family planning. I would never use either method on it's own, but if you use it with another more effective method, it will statistically cut the potential failure rate down by 50-75%.

I really hate condoms. I feel like they pretty much ruin the whole thing. They are a barrier method of birth control, and thus create a detectable barrier. However, in the case of dating, I think they are absolutely essential when it comes to helping prevent pregnancy and STD's. The potential life-altering major consequences of NOT using them are far, far worse than any of the negatives of using them.

That's why they will also use the pill. Withdrawal can be a great back-up method of birth control, much like natural family planning. I would never use either method on it's own, but if you use it with another more effective method, it will statistically cut the potential failure rate down by 50-75%.

This is true. It's always good to use two methods of contraception. Back when I was on the pill, my Ex and I used condoms every time, no exceptions.

I don't like the pill and haven't been on it in years. My current boyfriend has very good control so when using condoms he also withdraws.

I can't really feel the difference. Just me??

I can feel the difference. Natural lubrication feels better with his skin; with latex tends to dry out more. That said, it's not a huge difference and certainly not motivation enough for me to consider going back on the pill or getting an IUD. Personal preference on both, as I don't like the effects of hormones on my body and I'd rather not undergo a procedure to get anything implanted.

Sex carries risks. You try to minimize as much you can, but ultimately every person has to decide what steps they're willing to take to prevent pregnancy/STIs and what they're willing do to their bodies to achieve that. For me, being monogamous and having sex with a partner that I trust is a biggest part of my strategy. If it wasn't for him and his control, I probably wouldn't be comfortable using withdrawal as a method with condoms (and on occasions without) because it's useless if your partner is prone to "accidents" in timing.

Archived