(Bratty) Children in libraries, a vent.

Moontiger

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No but opinions, such as yours, are the reason places CAN'T be kid friendly. Because when children are denied entry, someone screams "Discriminattion! Discrimination!" as I said, tolerance does not work both ways on the battle field.

But then by that logic that you can discriminate against someone for age, you are agreeing that they can discriminate against people for colour, sex, orientation or whatever, because it is ok for someone to say I hate whoever so I want to discriminate against them.The only criteria is that they annoy me and I don't want to deal with it.

But then by that logic that you can discriminate against someone for age, you are agreeing that they can discriminate against people for colour, sex, orientation or whatever, because it is ok for someone to say I hate whoever so I want to discriminate against them.The only criteria is that they annoy me and I don't want to deal with it.

Exactly.my point is there can not be any none kid friendly places adults can go to thst dont serve alcohol. So again, who is REAlLY being discriminated against?

I don't think it's really discrimination that adults have nowhere "adults only" they can go that doesn't serve alcohol. You do have adult only places - bars, strip clubs, certain high society clubs, etc. If you choose not to hang out there, that's your decision, it doesn't mean you're being discriminated against. Those places exist, they just don't fit your personal interests, so it's not really society's issue to take up.

Just playing devil's A here.

I don't think it's really discrimination that adults have nowhere "adults only" they can go that doesn't serve alcohol. You do have adult only places - bars, strip clubs, certain high society clubs, etc. If you choose not to hang out there, that's your decision, it doesn't mean you're being discriminated against. Those places exist, they just don't fit your personal interests, so it's not really society's issue to take up.

Following that up though, the same could be said of those who chose to have kids. That's a personal decision you make, therefore it's not society's issue to take up either.

I agree, get together all the people who want adults only places and create what you want.

I'm sorry but with the exception of bars, EVERYTHING has to be "kid friendly" these days. I'm sorry but WHY?

Kids grow up into adults someday. You can't grow out of your race, or gender. Truth is, some people just don't want kids around. It's not a horrible thing and honestly, I think it's fine if adults establish some places that are kid-free.

I've only known of like 1-2 restaurants that were 18+ and not just for alcohol, but because of the environment. They weren't bars or strip clubs either. I wrote the owners a nice note and they have my business because they are child-free.

There are many places which are "kids-only". Kids have their places. Let us kid-free adults have their own... If adults want to build their own place for ADULTS only, they have that right. I applaud them and will go to those places. The kid isn't going to DIE just because there are like 2 corners of the earth that they aren't allowed in. And then they are 18+, they can go there. No big deal.

When I was a child, I accepted that there were some places that were "not for kids". Guess what? My self esteem didn't suffer and I didn't melt. I UNDERSTOOD THAT I WAS A CHILD AND THERE WERE LIMITATIONS DUE TO MY AGE. It's part of life. I understood that I could be an annoying little sod at times and that people didn't want me around. Got it. I grew up and I'm fine now.

Here's the thing, its much easier for a place to remove a disruptive adult then a child. When you want to remove a child because of their behavior the parents scream about being discriminated against. When an adult is kicked out of acting up no one questions it. I was in a similar situation PhilliesFan and I leaned over and said, "Excuse, you bothering my friends and I." She got quiet after that.

I have confronted parents before, in polite ways, and ALWAYS they act annoyed tell their child to calm down once and then...everything goes right back to how it was.

Why dose a child have the right to scream at the top of their lungs in a library and not an adult? If your looking for total equality then neither has the right or they both do.

Following that up though, the same could be said of those who chose to have kids. That's a personal decision you make, therefore it's not society's issue to take up either.

Not really because you were saying it's discrimination that there are no adult-only places. There are, but you personally just don't like them. You can't cry discrimination just because you don't like the adult-only options available to you. I said I don't believe there's any real, good reason to bar kids from somewhere unless alcohol is being served or it's a sexualized environment - I don't believe that them being annoyances to some people is enough to warrant it.

Here's the thing, its much easier for a place to remove a disruptive adult then a child. When you want to remove a child because of their behavior the parents scream about being discriminated against. When an adult is kicked out of acting up no one questions it. I was in a similar situation PhilliesFan and I leaned over and said, "Excuse, you bothering my friends and I." She got quiet after that.

I have confronted parents before, in polite ways, and ALWAYS they act annoyed tell their child to calm down once and then...everything goes right back to how it was.

Why dose a child have the right to scream at the top of their lungs in a library and not an adult? If your looking for total equality then neither has the right or they both do.

I believe neither has the right to act up in public. But I also don't believe it's your place to say they shouldn't be there just because they happen to annoy you.

Not really because you were saying it's discrimination that there are no adult-only places. There are, but you personally just don't like them. You can't cry discrimination just because you don't like the adult-only options available to you. I said I don't believe there's any real, good reason to bar kids from somewhere unless alcohol is being served or it's a sexualized environment - I don't believe that them being annoyances to some people is enough to warrant it.

So....if an adult, who wants to open a restaurant with a romantic environment and NO kids allowed because HE feels that it's an annoyance, he/she is not allowed to do so?

Personally, I would go to that restaurant. A lot.

So....if an adult, who wants to open a restaurant with a romantic environment and NO kids allowed because HE feels that it's an annoyance, he/she is not allowed to do so?

I never said that - PERSONALLY, I don't believe there's any good reason to have an adults-only place unless it involves drinking or sex because the only other reason would presumably be "kids are annoying." But, I have no idea what the law says - they can do what they like for all I care.

All I was saying to OG is, you cannot say you're being discriminated against by there being no "adult only" places, because they do exist, she just personally chooses not to frequent them. That's her choice, it's not discrimination.

If somebody feels that strongly about it and wants to open their own non-alcoholic adult only place, then they should stop complaining about the lack of options and go ahead and do it. Be the change you wish to see and all that.

I never said that - PERSONALLY, I don't believe there's any good reason to have an adults-only place unless it involves drinking or sex because the only other reason would presumably be "kids are annoying." But, I have no idea what the law says - they can do what they like for all I care.

All I was saying to OG is, you cannot say you're being discriminated against by there being no "adult only" places, because they do exist, she just personally chooses not to frequent them. That's her choice, it's not discrimination.

If somebody feels that strongly about it and wants to open their own non-alcoholic adult only place, then they should stop complaining about the lack of options and go ahead and do it. Be the change you wish to see and all that.

Exactly. Be the action you want. Rather then just complaining which gets no one anywhere, do something about it instead.

Apparently McDain's has seen an increase in revenue since the ban started. There is a market for adult only CLASSY establishments but everyone is so afraid of getting sued these days few are will to try and establish them.

Laws don't make you allow kids in....thank goodness. So yeah, someone can make their own "kid-free" haven.

Of course, for me, I don't have the desire to make my own restaurant like that so my best "kid-free" place is my home now and my future home. I will not have them in my house and that's my right.

Apparently McDain's has seen an increase in revenue since the ban started. There is a market for adult only CLASSY establishments but everyone is so afraid of getting sued these days few are will to try and establish them.

Sad that adults can't make their own kid-free places with THEIR own money and THEIR own establishments. Parents need to get over it and stop suing. Not everyone wants their kids around. I'm glad to see that there are still places like that out there. I would definitely frequent them.

I'm not seeing it as discrimination, I'm only following through on the fact that if barring kids from adult places is discrimination, why can't it be discrimination the other way around? But again, having kids is a personal decision. Following your logic people can't cry discrimination if they have kids because it's a personal - and life style - decision they make. I would never expect a breast feeding mother to stay at home because she isn't allowed in public, but the same is not said for child free adults. I just find it odd and double standardish.

Of course it's your right, just like it's a parent's right to take their child out.

We all have to get along on this big rock.

Well, parents need to stop suing establishments that choose to kid-free. Then I will not complain.

I avoid places populated by loud, big families. I take issue with the fact that adults can't open up classy places and have a "no kid rule" without someone crying over it.

I'm not seeing it as discrimination, I'm only following through on the fact that if barring kids from adult places is discrimination, why can't it be discrimination the other way around? But again, having kids is a personal decision. Following your logic people can't cry discrimination if they have kids because it's a personal - and life style - decision they make. I would never expect a breast feeding mother to stay at home because she isn't allowed in public, but the same is not said for child free adults. I just find it odd and double standardish.

But again, nobody is forcing you to stay home or be around kids - you don't like to go to bars, so that is your choice. And for the record I never said not allowing kids is discrimination either.

But again, nobody is forcing you to stay home or be around kids - you don't like to go to bars, so that is your choice. And for the record I never said not allowing kids is discrimination either.

Point is, if you can't go to a quiet place that is kid friendly, you have to stay at home. So by product yes, parents who think their kids are the center of the universe and should be allowed every were are keeping adults, like me, at home. I don't go out period and love kids so as long as they aren't being bratty I'm okay - but I can see the side of people like Fudgie who don't want to be around kids. Yes, we all need to play on the big rock - not everyone plays fair though.

Me, personally, I believe once I become a parent I give up the right to just walk into any place. I have a child and with that comes the realization they shouldn't just go into places simply because I had them, there ar other people around me to consider.

Point is, if you can't go to a quiet place that is kid friendly, you have to stay at home. So by product yes, parents who think their kids are the center of the universe and should be allowed every were are keeping adults, like me, at home. I don't go out period and love kids so as long as they aren't being bratty I'm okay - but I can see the side of people like Fudgie who don't want to be around kids. Yes, we all need to play on the big rock - not everyone plays fair though.

Maybe you just need to find some new places then - I live in NYC at the moment and even there, I have been able to find a ton of quiet areas. Children aren't everywhere, and not because of rules, just because there are some places that children don't normally frequent, especially on school days.

If you don't go out period then what's the problem?

Parents should be able to bring their children places - restaurants and movie theatres included. Adults should be able to have quiet areas if they choose. They exist, you can find them. Not everywhere has strict no-child rules, but not everywhere caters to children so plenty of adults don't bring children to those establishments. If there is the odd annoying/loud child here and there, I believe that's just something people need to suck up. If there is a place you don't like, you find another one. Just like if a parent feels a certain establishment is NOT kid friendly, they should leave and go elsewhere. I don't believe it is discrimination either way around.

Archived