Do You Parent Like A Chinese Mom or A Western Mom?

RougeKali823

it is statistically true that African immigrants are more academically successful than any other group while Asian students (both American born and non-American) outpace their white counterparts.

As soon as I made it in I found that most of my classmates in my very white American city, were Asian. This was interesting considering they were only about 5% of our student population. Their parents were always present and encouraging them to push harder. So when we graduated the walls were littered with acceptance letters from UCLA, Reed, Columbia and etc which were all pretty much garnered by Asian students, myself and one Nigerian girl.

...In both of these posts you mention the underachieving white masses. You mask it as statistics or personal experience, but I see right through that. It's your personal opinion.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the posters, with the exception of 2, have challenged my opinions with respect and asked for clarification when needed. When you make an assertion it's necessary to define terms. In response to challenges to that post I explained that I am an American and that the school and experience I am referring to was peopled by Western students who were black, white, Latino and Asian American. I also went on to state that we had a few foreign students. So Westerners would consist of people who look like me ( as I'm a person of color) [and not just whites] and I certainly am not racist against my own race. I was speaking from my experience and concluded with a comment stating that I haven't found there to be a superior way. I just know my experience. I think the issue people have is less with my assertions about Western culture and more about their race (in this case the white race). I feel attacked because I realize that ENA is largely made up of whites and so the belief seems to be that since I am supporting a non-white parenting style, I am somehow racist. That is untrue and what I am surprise by is that someone is stating that I have asserted that whites are "inferior" when I never stated that.

Archived