Do guys go for personality or looks?

I'm an 18 year old woman who is going to college soon (UCF). I'm smart (graduated with a 4.0 GPA as valedictorian) and I love to laugh. My question is: is there really anything wrong with a girl that has a great personality but isn't 6'0" tall with blonde hair and long legs? Do guys go for personality or looks?

Well if u look at a thread in Attraction and Flirting, u will find a question asking whether guys like short girls. and it would seem the majority (inc myself) prefer short girls.

I dont know where that stereotype has come from. Myself and my friends all prefer smaller girls (thereforeeee small legs) and the majority of us prefer brunettes.

Unfortunately looks are what drives us to go over and chat to that girl/guy first, not personailty. U can't see someone the other side of the room and think "he/she aint great looking but i bet they have a great personailty, i'll go check". Finding someone for their personailty is more likely to happen through friends. where u meet someone who u are not attracted to, but they grow on u due to their personailty.

There are some men who are very physically oriented, meaning their primary criterial for finding a mate is physical attributes. Then there are men who are looking for a person who they find attractive both physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

Upon what criteria a person selects his/her mate has alot to do with their morals/values and character. For instance, if YOU are a woman who selects a mate based on just physical attributes, it's likely that you will attract a person who has those same values. Someone who has deeper values when it comes to relationships will see through the fact that your attraction is purely physical, and will not likely be interested in anything long term.

What one person finds attractive in a person, other people may not. It's all very subjective. When it comes right down to it, in the end, all that matters is that ONE person thinks you are beautiful, and rest assured he is out there.

-A

I'm 6' 2 " tall, and my ex GF was 5"4" and once had a GF 5'2", I prefer petite women. but it all boils down to personality and how we get along, height, is such a small factor.

now if you are insecure, that is unattractive, so its not so much how others see you, its really how you see yourself.

if your thinking I haven't had luck with guys because I'm short, you are wrong, finding and keeping a partner is just plain hard to do for everyone, don't blame your looks.

UCF as in Central Florida? Well anyhow, people are all the same... What do girls go for? Guys believe it or not, look for pretty much what girls look for in a mate. It depends on the person. I say if it's UCF in Orlando, then you can always find guys there. (44% male 55% females.)

I personally need a mix, I need to have some fun yet be able to talk to about serious issues.

P.S If you are in FL, why go to UCF?

Sure I admit i'm attracted to the way girls look on the outside but I don't think twice about asking anyone on a date until I talk to them for quite awhile. My main thing is personality though I do judge looks under the basis of, "Does this girl take care of herself."

Ok, as for what guys go for, it depends on the guy. I'll say as a general rule, personality is more important, but looks are also important. Generally its looks that catch a guys eye, so he then trys to get to know them.

Another thing to consider is what guys find attractive varies from guy to guy. My g/f doesn't think shes very good looking at all, but to me shes the most beautiful girl I've ever met. Basically what I'm trying to say is, no matter what you look like, some one will find you attractive, and if you have a greqat personality your set.

Looks are a factor, its what catches their attention, but what keeps them with you is your personality.

Some guys like tall women, others like petite, some are chubby chasers, others go for the athletic bods.

Some guys like smart women that they can talk to, others are just looking for big breast to talk to (just kidding) .

you get the picture.

but no matter what you look like, if you have an un attractive personality, your partner will be gone soon enough.

• 2 years later...

5ft 7ins brunette/dyed black hair, havn't been single for years.

So no problem at all.

Other points:

Everyone is different. Some people like the Bimbo look. Some people like Cute Nerd types. And those are just two extremes...there are as many types of woman as there are guys, and there is a good reason for that - different people fancy different kinds of traits, in terms of both looks and personality.

I'm not one to deny the power of looks. I know I wouldn't have even considered my boyfriend if I had met him in his Fat Days - I've seen the photos. I wouldn't say I was overly shallow, but I simply wouldn't have f ound him attractive at that heavy weight. And I'd be lying if I said I'd find him as sexy as I do if he gained 50lbs. However, I spend a lot of time keeping myself thin, so it isn't double-standards.

Ultimately, personality IS over looks. Unfortunately, personality isn't so obvious in busy environments/fleeting meetings socially.

I'm an 18 year old woman who is going to college soon (UCF). I'm smart (graduated with a 4.0 GPA as valedictorian) and I love to laugh. My question is: is there really anything wrong with a girl that has a great personality but isn't 6'0" tall with blonde hair and long legs? Do guys go for personality or looks?

Are you black? I'm just curious. Lots of black women complain that they are smart, have a great personality, but dont have lots of guys running after them, or the right type of guys. Anyway to deal with your question, as a guy am I interested in looks over personality. No, personality also defines the looks, because if you are too difficult, then I'll pass. But difficult or easy doesn't seem contingent on being smart or able to laugh. Low maintenance personalities are favoured over medium and high maintenance ones.

But I'm not interested in a 6'0" tall blond girl with long legs and blond hair. How can you say that. I'm intererested in a 5'1 to 5'7 (tops) girl, with big boobs or big bust, can have a bit of extra weight, but not too much, and has at least one or two sexy features that stand out. I'm very flexible in terms of looks. I have fetishes for all sorts of ethinc minorites including Asians, Indians, and other non-white people. I think I'm very flexible in terms of looks and have no stereotypical ridgid standard, and think most guys would be the same.

Guys DO value looks more than women, and probably many go for looks over anything else. But women do the same, just to a lesser extent.

Looks are important to both sexes (especially men) but they only attract people together. Good looks don't keep couples together. Similar personalities, goals, values, etc. keep them together. So while we can't ignore how imporant a factor looks are in the initial stages of a relationship, they aren't everything, nor are they the most imporant factor in a long-term romance.

It goes like this.

Initially: 1) Looks 2) Personality

If you have the looks, that gets you into the door, if you then have the personality to back it up things will follow.

Not always. You could get to know someone as a friend first, and then become attracted to them because of their personality, regardless of looks. Looks then personality is mainly only the case if the first thing you do when you see someone of the opposite sex is wonder if you could date them.

You'd be surprised at how many guys fall for girls when looks>personality. For example, there is this girl at my workplace. When I first met her, I of course treated her like a colleague and wasn't attracted to her. Actually the two girls in the cubicle area next to her are very cute.

But as time went on, I realized this girl is a riot! A silly, goody, playful individual who I can't get enough of. Needless to say, those two "hot girls" don't exist to me. They are clouded out as the foggy fantasy centers on my joker.

Too bad she's married. Ah well.

For me, looks help with the initial attraction.....but the older I get the more personality counts.

Feminine mannerisms matter a lot.

In other words, no matter how good a woman looks if she acts like a dude or doesn't know how to carry herself like a lady in a respectable manner then it's a big turn off.

And then again, I've ran into women that I initially weren't attracted to but after 5 minutes of conversation with them I began finding them attractive.