Anyone else feel coffee makes them manic or crazy?

Ive grown to like coffee unfortunately. I was a late bloomer 26 when I started drinking it because I had to work really late at a job one night a week. But I noticed that as much as I like it and sometimes the effect of it it feels like when I get off of it my life feels much, my body and my mind as well too.

Anyone else experience this?

Caffeine is a stimulant and it's effects are dose related. Cut back, drink something with less caffeine later in the day

I noticed that as much as I like it and sometimes the effect of it it feels like when I get off of it my life feels much, my body and my mind as well too.

My body and stimulants don't get along. Or they get along too well, depending how you look at it. Caffeine is strictly an emergency measure for me.

We had caffeine gum in the Army for long field ops or 16-on 8-off QRF shifts. One 100mg stick gave me the jitters, and one was all I ever needed.

Caffeine is a poison designed to kill insects feeding on coffee plants by attacking their nervous system, I wish I'd known this years ago when as a result of drinking lots of proper coffee shop cups I ended up at hospital on a ECG. The amount of caffeine in a proper coffee shop cup is around three times the amount of that in an instant type. Everybody reacts differently to caffeine, but it's not uncommon to end up with a racing heart and palpitations if you overdo it. I tend to have one cup a day now, first thing in the morning.

Caffeine is a stimulant. That means that you get a high and a low once it wears off. Having said that, how your body responds to it is going to be highly individual. Some people can't take it or tolerate it because the high/low is too extreme. Some people are roughly unaffected. I'm in the latter category in that I can drink a shot of espresso and pass out 15 minutes later like nothing. Most people fall somewhere between the two extremes.

If you find that you are getting a sharp high/low, then you need to cut back on it as it's not agreeing with your body chemistry. Meaning either drink less or drink weaker coffee.

As for working late, you are really better off giving yourself healthy energy, which comes from food, specifically protein. That will help you keep going without a high/low hit that you would get from things like sugar or caffeine.

I used to drink a lot of coffee. I mean a lot but i cut it because even if i were exhausted i could only sleep 5-6 hours . Personally i couldn't function very well with 5-6 hours of sleep. Now i sleep around 6,5-7,5 hours but it's "deep" sleep and i feel great. Maybe i don't have this alertness but ok I compromised .

Yes, Dancing. I remember drinking the stuff by the quart, at night, in my student days in order to study into the night. I still slept like a log.

But the OP is only drinking half a cup to a cup. Perhaps OP only have that cup in the morning?

Coffee in small amounts is said to be good for you.

My brother can't drink coffee at all. It makes his heart race dangerously fast. Coffee has little effect on me. I can, and have, drink two cups of coffee right before bedtime and sleep like a baby for eight hours. I just drink it for the taste. I love it! Everyone metabolizes it differently.

Agree. What about other caffeinated drinks, do they bother you? Some are very high in caffeine. a 12 oz can of red Bull has 111 mg of caffeine, more than than most cups of coffee.

Try lower or no caffeine alternatives like green tea, herb tea etc.

I also find ironically I'm usually actually less tired when I stop drinking coffee in part I think because I sleep much better.

]

I stick to no more than 12 ounces a day, dark roast preferrably. If I drink more than that I get sweaty and twitchy. Dark roast has less caffeine than light roast.

Prior, I used to drink strong black tea by the gallon each day, I never noticed any side effects from it, so maybe switch to a lower caffeine alternative like tea, or try decaf coffee.

OP, do you take any other meds? Ones that already increase your heart rate as a side effect?

Last year I was on meds for a couple months that did that, and I couldn't drink anything with caffeine in it - made me feel like my heart was pounding in my chest.

I'd suggest the same as others - and perhaps maybe try half and half (half caffeinated, half decaf).

I drink decaffeinated in the morning... and have switched to cups of tea if I need a caffeine hit and the odd cup of hot water...

I had massive headaches for a week when I first weaned off and was a horrible grumpy toad.

Was on 4-5 - I just loved the taste - so much more creamier than tea, sleeping much better since I switched and my teeth are bright white again!

"See off four cups of coffee a day and you’ll slash your cardiovascular risk by an impressive 53%, according to research from Brooklyn College. Probably best not to neck them all at once though."

Forget neon sports drinks – to raise your running endurance by 26% an espresso is a better bet, according to research from the University of Birmingham. You could even take a tip from top long-distance runners and suck on coffee beans as you pound the pavements.

I don't drink either caffeinated drinks other than tea... Have never even tried a Red Bull... that stuff sounds scary.

I also noticed that my hair and skin is a lot less dry and internally as well. Coffee really drives me out. I love coffee like a macchiato... And I think sometimes it was more the sweetness I was craving so now I just do caramel and black tea with cream when I want that sweet fix.

It sounds more like a sugar addiction than caffeine. Macchiatos?!?

That's a lot of sugar.

I love black coffee. I would drink it all the time if it didn't make me anxious, but it does have that effect on me of amplifying the smallest anxiety, so I stick to just a cup of good joe now a day ( some days none, which is a amazing to past me

Yes, caffeinated coffee made me irritable, short tempered and anxiety prone. Before I made that connection, I also had heart palpitations at night.

I gave it up and went to caffeine free tea. It was like I'd been given a gentle tranquilizer. My patience and joy returned. I've since taken up decaf coffee. There is still some degree of caffeine in decaf, but I limit my intake and alternate with caffeine free tea.

I use half and half or soy creamer with no sugar. Sugar is worse than caffeine, and it will amplify the effects and the crash.

Nebu. Coca leaves are still used by indigenous people, chewed and the "cud" kept in the mouth. To stave off hunger and allow to keep working. In South America I have seen the bags of leaves on sale.....

IMO most people drink coffee (and I mean moderately) without any bad effects. Perhaps if there is an underlying health problem already it might not be advisable to drink several cups a day.

Archived