Would you marry someone who proposed with no ring?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering because my husband proposed with no ring some 21 years ago. It was just so spur of the moment, I was so stunned I never noticed he did not have a ring.....lol. It was about as sweet as he gets. He just did it because he felt a rush of emotions. ( we looked for the ring about 5 months later)

Technically my fiance proposed without a ring. A month before he proposed he bought me a beautiful ring which I fell in love with and said one day I want this to be my engagement ring, he of course disagreed and wanted to get me what used to be my dream ring. However, we were about to leave for out trip and that night he asked my parents for this blessing, we left so he didn't have time to go ring shopping and wasn't comfortable buying the ring elsewhere and we were together 24/7 so he proposed without a ring. He still insists on getting me the ring I told him I liked (way before we got engaged) but it would just be a waste since I really love my ring. He tells me it's coming, I keep telling him I don't want it.

Happy anniversary Victoria.

Yes I would accept but it also would depend why there was no ring - I did want a ring so if he didn't want me to have one that would be a concern. Actually um now that I remember I did accept a proposal with no ring - it was spur of the moment and I accepted. He then went out ring shopping with a friend of mine (I learned years later) and a few days after that I broke up with him realizing that it wasn't right. (nothing to do with the ring -I never saw it and never asked about it - heard about it years later from my friend).

It is on Saturday. Everyone is sick at the moment so we probably won't do anything,but it will be ok to just remember the day.

I got to pick the ring, it was not anything fancy because he was just a poor 21 year old student but I loved it. It got lost some 4 years ago now. But we replaced it 2 years ago and I got a new band this past Christmas.

Yes I would accept but it also would depend why there was no ring - I did want a ring so if he didn't want me to have one that would be a concern. Actually um now that I remember I did accept a proposal with no ring - it was spur of the moment and I accepted. He then went out ring shopping with a friend of mine (I learned years later) and a few days after that I broke up with him realizing that it wasn't right. (nothing to do with the ring -I never saw it and never asked about it - heard about it years later from my friend).

My husband never had a ring because he did not know he would be proposing, he just blurted it all out............lol.......that is so him.

Technically my husband proposed without a ring. We actually thoroughly discussed marriage before becoming engaged and we were "pre-engaged" to the point that we actually both knew when he would "officially" propose. My grandmother gave me a gorgeous ring that has been in the family for about 150 years so I gave that ring to my husband and I told him I wanted to use it as my engagement ring. I love that ring and I felt it wasteful to have him buy a different ring for our engagement. We were only engaged for about seven months prior to marrying, and now I just wear my wedding band. I put my engagement ring in a lock box to keep it safe for future generations. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Technically my husband proposed without a ring. We actually thoroughly discussed marriage before becoming engaged and we were "pre-engaged" to the point that we actually both knew when he would "officially" propose. My grandmother gave me a gorgeous ring that has been in the family for about 150 years so I gave that ring to my husband and I told him I wanted to use it as my engagement ring. I love that ring and I felt it wasteful to have him buy a different ring for our engagement. We were only engaged for about seven months prior to marrying, and now I just wear my wedding band. I put my engagement ring in a lock box to keep it safe for future generations. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Awwww that is lovely. Yes, I would put such a ring away too.

I had taken mine off and they got knocked off the table some how and got sucked into the central vac and into the pipes in the walls of the house. I did not see because I was vacuuming without my glasses on. I am literally blind without them.

Given that there have been a number of threads where the woman has complained that she hated the ring her fiance/husband bought to propose with, it seems the man would not be wise to buy one first. And he certainly should not if there is a possibility she would turn him down unless the jeweler has agreed to allow him to return it for what he paid for it.

Given that there have been a number of threads where the woman has complained that she hated the ring her fiance/husband bought to propose with, it seems the man would not be wise to buy one first. And he certainly should not if there is a possibility she would turn him down unless the jeweler has agreed to allow him to return it for what he paid for it.

I am thinking that.

I was not insulted he had no ring, I was just so flabbergasted and delighted he proposed........lol. I kind of like I got to pick it later.

Would you accept?

I suspect anyone would who answer "No" is remaining quiet and not posting. My impression based on previous threads I've seen on these boards is that there's likely a healthy population of women who would be upset and/or turn the guy down. Sad but true.

For what it's worth, my best friend's boyfriend proposed without a ring because he didn't have the money for the kind of ring she wanted, and she turned him down. They have been together for almost five years now and he does not want marriage with her anymore. She "claims" she is okay with the outcome but I think it really eats at her. I agree that anyone who would not accept a proposal without a ring probably will not post here.

I suspect anyone would who answer "No" is remaining quiet and not posting. My impression based on previous threads I've seen on these boards is that there's likely a healthy population of women who would be upset and/or turn the guy down. Sad but true.

Then I'll go against the grain here. Unless there was a good reason for not having the ring, I don't see why a woman would accept. Some good reasons:

1. He plans to buy it next week, with her input

2. She has informed him that she doesn't want a ring

3. They absolutely cannot afford it and still want to get married

But if the woman would like a ring and there aren't really unique circumstances, it is a bit inconsiderate to propose without the ring.

Since I was proposed to with a ring, I really don't know what would have happened if he had done it without a ring. I guess I can't envision myself in any other situation, or with anyone else to try and imagine what would have happened.

We talk about everything under the sun, were open about getting engaged long before it happened, and both felt the same about things. We shopped for rings, and he said when he felt the moment was right and found the ring he wanted, he would propose. For us, that was how we envisioned it.

But I do admit, during those few months of us seriously talking and searching for a ring, I did already 'feel' engaged and was talking about wedding planning because I knew it was coming and was just waiting for the formality of the actual proposal before announcing.

So I guess he could have asked without a ring, and then took some time to find the ring afterwards.

Then I'll go against the grain here. Unless there was a good reason for not having the ring, I don't see why a woman would accept. Some good reasons:

1. He plans to buy it next week, with her input

2. She has informed him that she doesn't want a ring

3. They absolutely cannot afford it and still want to get married

But if the woman would like a ring and there aren't really unique circumstances, it is a bit inconsiderate to propose without the ring.

My husband really could not afford one at the time, so I understood. I really did not mind.

My husband really could not afford one at the time, so I understood. I really did not mind.

We always said we would wait and get something nice when we could afford it, as our daughter was 3 months old when we got married. Now we've been married 4 years and I finally told him to forget it. If it was that important to him, he would have bought me one by now. I don't need a fancy, expensive ring when it's perfectly convenient for him. The whole point of the expensive ring is that it's supposed to require a financial sacrifice on his part. Also, it's going to look awkward if I start walking around with a huge rock on my finger out of the blue. People will probably start rumors that I've found a new man! lol...

The whole point of the expensive ring is that it's supposed to require a financial sacrifice on his part.

Really? Why? I thought it was supposed to symbolise love and commitment.

Is there a financial sacrifice on your part?

We always said we would wait and get something nice when we could afford it, as our daughter was 3 months old when we got married. Now we've been married 4 years and I finally told him to forget it. If it was that important to him, he would have bought me one by now. I don't need a fancy, expensive ring when it's perfectly convenient for him. The whole point of the expensive ring is that it's supposed to require a financial sacrifice on his part. Also, it's going to look awkward if I start walking around with a huge rock on my finger out of the blue. People will probably start rumors that I've found a new man! lol...

LOL...see we got engaged I think too quickly. We barely knew each other not even a year I think, we did not get married for another 4 years though,he dragged his feet on that one.

Archived