Favorite Quotes- Shares Yours As Well

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe." -Carl Sagan

"I'd rather live my whole life assuming there is a God, only to find out that there isn't, than to live my whole life assuming there isn't a God, only to find out there is." -Peter Barry

"People who sin say this: They had to, to survive. People who sin say this: It's too late now to stop. The shadow called Sin dogs them steadily from behind, without a word. Remorse and Agony are repeated, to finally end up at Despair. But sinners don't know that if they turn around, there is a light... a light which keeps shining on them ever so warmly. A light that will never fade" -Trigun (an anime series)

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." -Romans 12:21

"The desire to reach stars is ambitious; The desire to reach hearts is wise" -- Maya Angelou.

"The final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands."- Anne Frank

"I think I would like to do something for somebody. I think it's good if someone smiles when you smile at them. The beauty of voluntary acts can foster goodwill in the hearts of others. Love which doesn't ask for collateral gives us respect as people. However, it is wrong to try to sustain that, control love. In time, the strain will bloom into the flower called Lie, the thorny flower which hurts people."- Trigun

"A choice between two things. The forked road every person brought into the world must eventually face. A crossroad. Whichever path they choose, they lose something. Whichever path they choose, they are unable to find happiness. But are there really only two paths to a forked road? No. There are infinite paths we should take. There is more than one path we should take. There is more than one path into the future."-Trigun

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change to world."- Harriet Tubman

"May the love deep inside your heart find love waiting in your dreams. May the laughter that you find tomorrow wipe away the pain you find in your yesterdays." -anon

"Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You have to really love yourself to get anything done in this world." - Lucille Ball

"You are what you think, or so you become." -anon

“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves”. Victor Frankl, psychiatrist and Holocaust survivor

"This is really the only reason people are ever mean. They have something hurting inside of them, a claw of unhappiness scratching away at their heart, and it makes them hurt so much that they have to push it right out of their mouth to scratch someone else, just to give themselves a rest, a moment of relief."- The Center of Everything (a novel)

When all else fails, just believe.

Comforting song: "Look After You"- The Fray.

And finally I twist my heart round again, so that the bad is on the outside and the good is on the inside, and keep on trying to find a way of becoming what I would so like to be, and could be, if there weren't any other people living in the world.

Anne Frank

Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.

Anne Frank

Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!

Anne Frank

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.

Anne Frank

I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains.

Anne Frank

It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart.

Anne Frank

Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction.

Anne Frank

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.

Anne Frank

Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.

Anne Frank

We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same.

Anne Frank

Who would ever think that so much went on in the soul of a young girl?

Anne Frank

Whoever is happy will make others happy too.

Anne Frank

If you think about disaster, you will get it. Brood about death and you hasten your demise. Think positively and masterfully, with confidence and faith, and life becomes more secure, more fraught with action, richer in achievement and experience.

---Edward Rickenbacker

Edward Rickenbacker is a famous aviator. I found this quote without attribution and tracked down its source, and coincidentally, I was born at (now closed) Rickenbacker Air Force Base in Ohio!

Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.

---Albert Einstein

When you're learning to face, your path and your pace, every choice is

worth your while...

---Indigo Girls

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

---Abraham Lincoln

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

---George Eliot

Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.

---Mahatma Gandhi

You have to accept whatever comes and the important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best you have to give.

---Eleanor Roosevelt

As life is action and passion, it is required of man that he should share the passion and action of his time, at peril of being judged not to have lived.

---Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

QUOTES FROM OG MANDINO:

Never again clutter your days or nights with so many menial and unimportant things that you have no time to accept a real challenge when it comes along. This applies to play as well as work. A day merely survived is no cause for celebration. You are not here to fritter away your precious hours when you have the ability to accomplish so much by making a slight change in your routine. No more busy work. No more hiding from success. Leave time, leave space, to grow. Now. Now! Not tomorrow!

Realize that true happiness lies within you. Waste no time and effort searching for peace and contentment and joy in the world outside. Remember that there is no happiness in having or in getting, but only in giving. Reach out. Share. Smile. Hug. Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.

To be always intending to make a new and better life but never to find time to set about it is as to put off eating and drinking and sleeping from one day to the next until you're dead.

And more: link removed

• Like 1
The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.

Anne Frank

I loved all of your quotes....but this one brought tears to my eyes. How beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

"Life isn't measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away."

"When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks into you."

"Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."

"Birds sing after a storm; why shouldn't people feel as free to delight in whatever sunlight remains to them."

"When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him."

"A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind."

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe."

"We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves."

"It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone."

"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you, the less you know."

• 1 month later...

I'm calling my book series the 'with God series.' And this next 'with God' book is Friendship with God, which comes out in November. This books challenges us to bring about the end of 'better' on this planet.

link removed

No life is pointless! And I tell you that no life is hopeless. Fear and guilt are the only enemies of man.

--Neale Donald Walsch, Friendship With God

How do I discover who I am? It is not a process of discovery, it is a process of creation. Do not be who you thought you were, be who you wish you were.

- How can I change behaviours that have become habitual, or character traits that have become ingrained?

- By asking yourself one simple question: Is this Who I Am?

There are two five-word magic questions. These questions, asked at the right moment can propel you forward in your own evolution faster than you might ever imagine. The questions are: Is this who I am? What would love do now?

If you require a certain result in order to be happy, you have an Addiction. If you simply desire a certain result, you have a Preference. If you have no Pre-ference whatsoever, you have Acceptance. You have achieved mastery.

"You must be willing to suspend what you imagine you already know about God in order to know God as you never imagined" - Page 65

"...true self love disappears the ego, it does not enlarge it. Put another way, the larger your understanding of Who You Really Are, the smaller your ego" - Page 77

"Confusion is the first step toward wisdom. Folly is thinking you have all the answers" - Page 77

"...if you do not believe that you create your own reality, then you will experience your reality as something you did not create . . . proving that you create your own reality" - Page 82

"Laughter is good for the soul" - Page 84

"Do not seek to forget your past, seek to change your future" - Page 85

"Every decision you make—every decision—is not a decision about what to do. It's a decision about Who You Are" - Page 88

"The secret of life is not to have everything you want, but to want everything you have" - Page 109

"Nothing inhibits your loving each other more than the thought that you have something to lose" - Page 168

"Live your life for a new reason. Understand that its purpose has nothing to do with what you get out of it, and everything to do with what you put into it. This is also true of relationships" - Page 174

"Honesty is the highest form of love" - Page 180

"The less you need from someone, the more you can love them" - Page 184

"How can you need nothing from someone you love?

By loving them not for what they can give you, but simply for who they are" - Page 185

"Reject nothing of the world, and no one in it. Yet while you are in the world, and the world is in you, remember that you are larger than it. You are the creator of it, for you are creating your own reality as surely as you are experiencing it. You are both the creator and the created" - Page 209

"Nothing happens in life by accident. Nothing.

Nothing occurs in your life by chance. Nothing.

Nothing takes place without producing the opportunity for real and lasting benefit to you. Nothing at all.

The perfection of every moment may not be apparent to you, yet that will make the moment no less perfect. It will be no less a gift." - Page 241

image removed

We can only learn to love by loving.

Iris Murdoch

The best relationship is one in which your love for each-other exceeds you need for each-other

Dalai Lama

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Oscar Wilde

Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward.

Lost time is never found again

Benjamin Franklin

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have.

Doris Mortman

• 3 weeks later...

"Your life is shaped by your intentions."

I don't remember his name, but the one who said it was a Buddhist teacher/Venerable that I listened to online a few months ago. The above statement caught my attention so much that I had to jot it down. There is certainly truth behind it.

"God doesn't play dice" - Albert Einstein

"In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends" - Martin Luther King

"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world" - C.S Lewis

"As far as men go, it is not what they are that interests me, but what they can become."

Jean-Paul Sartre

"Spread love everywhere you go: first of all in your own house. Give love to your children, to your wife or husband, to a next door neighbor... Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting."

Mother Theresa of Calcutta

"A cynic is just a man who found out when he was ten that there wasn't any Santa Claus, and he's still upset."

J.G. Cozzens

"We have, in fact, two kinds of morality side by side: one which we preach but do not practice, and another which we practice but seldom preach."

Bertrand Russell

"One thousand Americans stop smoking every day - by dying."

Unsourced

"Whoever has the luck to be born a character can laugh even at death. Because a character will never die! A man will die, a writer, the instrument of creation: but what he has created will never die!"

Luigi Pirandello

"Eternity gives nothing back of what one leaves out of the minutes."

Friedrich Schiller

"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."

Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman "Good Omens"

"Maybe it's all part of a great big ineffable plan. All of it. You, me, him, everything. Some great big test to see if what you've built all works properly, eh? You start thinking: it can't be a great cosmic game of chess, it has to be just very complicated Solitaire. And don't bother to answer. If we could understand, we wouldn't be us."

Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman "Good Omens"

• 1 month later...

Realize that true happiness lies within you. Waste no time and effort searching for peace and contentment and joy in the world outside. Remember that there is no happiness in having or in getting, but only in giving. Reach out. Share. Smile. Hug. Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.

Og Mandino

It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness.

Confucius

Surrender yourself humbly; then you can be trusted to care for all things. Love the world as your own self; then you can truly care for all things.

Lao Tsu

I place a high moral value on the way people behave. I find it repellent to have a lot, and to behave with anything other than courtesy in the old sense of the word -- politeness of the heart, a gentleness of the spirit.

Emma Thompson

H e best keeps from anger who remembers that God is always looking upon him.
Plato