Attraction Attire

So.....I just had a nice talk with my friend's girlfriend who tells me that the first things the girl looks at when she sees a guy is:

His watch and his shoes. From there she starts deducing his style. I told her that when I see a female, I don't really look at what she's wearing. Rather, I focus on how attractive her face is and then how attractive her figure is.

She tells me that it's different with women - that women will observe a guy's attire and style more than his figure. She thinks that having nice pecs are grand and all, but it's clothing attire and style that do it for her.

Is this a similar thing for other women? Or would one deduce that she comes off as materialistic?

Be honest now ladies - how much does a man's attire affect his initial attractiveness?

watch and shoes? Not so much for me... I notice his pants when it comes to clothing... if he's wearing

a. black denim

or

b. too tight jeans

I'm sorta repulsed

I dont really notice clothing RIGHT away... i notice his smile, his laugh and his posture...

I know a couple of my girlfriends have they mentioned that the first thing they notice is their shoes, but I've never heard of watches. For me, I think I would prolly notice his physical features first rather than clothing, ex. his eyes, smile, etc. Clothing is secondary but it plays an important role too. And I agree with the above poster that yes, tight clothing (jeans and top) would be a major turnoff . . .

most women tell me how my shirt hugs my muscles and how nice my shoes are. i'm a skater, but i dress very clean. my shirts are somewhat tight which show off my upper body. my pants are baggy, but not out of control baggy. my shoes are always nice clean skater shoes. not funky colors like posers wear. i spike my hair (this is part of your attire by the way). but i do wear a watch. it is nice too. women do comment on it a lot.

........................................................................................................................................................................................

watch and shoes? Not so much for me... I notice his pants when it comes to clothing... if he's wearing

a. black denim

or

b. too tight jeans

I'm sorta repulsed

I dont really notice clothing RIGHT away... i notice his smile, his laugh and his posture...

Same here (especially on the too-tight jeans!) I tend to notice teeth a lot as well.

for me the first thing i notice about a guy's appearance is his height

lol

i like it when the guy is taller than me

but seeing how as i'm 5'10"...

it makes things a little hard for me

haha

the first thing about a guy's personality i notice is whether or not he can make me laugh

i think a lot of girls like it when you can make them laugh

i'm more interested in those things than what he is wearing

unless of course its something that is so obviously not matching that i find it hard to look at him...

lols

i also agree with those who don't go for tight pants

thats just weird

Well, I was wearing some nice blue jeans with some white new balance running shoes - which my friend and girlfriend said was an eyesore. They said it's what old men / father types wear.

So I got some sandy colored wallabees to shut them up.

awww

thats kinda harsh on their part

i wouldn't worry about it though

friends always seem to be more harsh than other people

no no, I like the honesty.

This same friend helped me have a better eye for dressing up earlier last year.

I used to always buy oversized clothing, and I never liked paying more than 20 bucks for any particular article of clothing. I always figured that all these clothes came from the same sweatshops in Asia, so why pay more when I didn't need to?

Well, my metro friend convinced me that my clothing looked crappy on me, and took me to Banana Republic, Gap, Express, Kenneth Cole, and some other places. Tighter fitting clothing looked much better on me and showed off my physique a bit better. People I've known for years were telling me I "lost a lot of weight" from having clothing that was thinner around the waist and stomach, and other people telling me that I was getting buffer from having shirts that were form fitting.

I won't wear tight-tight stuff (like those guys who wear girl jeans), but I see the advantage of form fitting clothing and form tailored suits.

Also, there's issues of layering and color coordination, which I'm not quite that solid on yet.

I need a girl to shop with me

What's with the shoes and watch thing? How boring. I don't care about his feet unless, they're exceptionally hairy. And watches, that sounds like a gold-digging kind of thing.

Usually the first thing I notice is a guy's face, then I'll look to see if he knows how to dress himself.