What's wrong with old people?!

So I asked my dad if I could clean the garage last year and he said yes. He specifically said "throw away anything we don't use." So this year, overcome with bordem and a sense of tidiness I decided to clean it. I threw out random chairs, broken items, and books from 1991+. Today they yelled at me! They were furious that I threw away all the old crap in the garage. I asked if they were looking for specific things? If they even remember anything in the garage that they wanted--they couldn't give me an answer and yelled at me more. They then yelled at me for things that weren't even missing either!

What is wrong with old people?!

I don't think age has anything to do with it. Some people just have a harder time getting rid of things in general. The most common reason: They often fear they "might need it" one day (even if it is a useless or broken item) and it gives them anxiety to throw it away. The finality of throwing something out scares them. I have a few family members who are like this- one of them has reached the point of having a real hoarding disorder.

BellaDonna

Young people do things to annoy them ...

Seriously, you'll get a better handle on this type of issue when somebody tosses out all your stuff that they interpreted as old junk. I'm willing to bet some of the stuff you threw out they didn't classify as something they don't use anymore. It's odd the bits and pieces that can have sentimental value.

I've learned in life that regardless of what somebody says at the time, it's never actually a good idea to dispose of an item that is theirs without them specifically saying it's okay to get rid of that particular item.

After the age of 30, your brain starts shrinking and you lose 2/3 of your common sense each year thereafter.

So, at 31 you have only 1/3 of your common sense.

At 32, you have only 2/3 of 1/3 of your original common sense - or 2/9

By the time you get to 45, you're doomed. But then wisdom and experience start kicking in around 65 and your common sense starts to increase again. It's all very scientific.

But then wisdom and experience start kicking in around 65 and your common sense starts to increase again. It's all very scientific.

That would be sooooo cool if just by the very nature of turning 65 meant you suddenly got common sense and wisdom. I guess there is hope for me - provided I live to 65.........

Hi Puff,

I used to do jobs around the house for an elderly lady who was a pack-rat extrodinair...

She struggled to raise her family during the Great Depression, and would always complain about things like disposable razors and paper towels...

She saw it as waste.

There was a gigantic pile of garden hoses in her backyard.

They were all brittle and dry rotted, absolutely worthless, and an eyesore.

"You want me to throw them out Hilda?"

"Oh no! We can put new ends on them and use 'em... "

Jeff

After the age of 30, your brain starts shrinking and you lose 2/3 of your common sense each year thereafter.

So, at 31 you have only 1/3 of your common sense.

At 32, you have only 2/3 of 1/3 of your original common sense - or 2/9

By the time you get to 45, you're doomed. But then wisdom and experience start kicking in around 65 and your common sense starts to increase again. It's all very scientific.

Well .... based on that, at 32 you'd only actually have 1/3 of 1/3 or 1/9 so it's already extremely bleak. Roughly 10% left!!

Awdree, you're down to 1/3 ofr 1/3 of 1/3 of 1/3 or 1/81 which isn't a whole lot more than 1%

But don't listen to me, I'm less than 1/1000000 according to the math so I'm completely done for. But I never had much to begin with so I've lost less!!

On the other hand, FWIW, my dad tends to throw my stuff away. So what IS up with our elders?

Well I wanted them to stop yelling at me so I started insulting myself. I told them I was worthless and stupid and a piece of crap. And that they should yell at me more. Guess what they said! "What's the point of yelling at you, it won't bring the stuff back!" I was giggling inside but then I said "so then stop yelling at me." Then they started yelling at me more. Damn reverse psychology stuff.

Hopefully they will get over it. Though I have to admit- there's one relative of mine who is a major hoarder and I once helped her clean and threw away a totally useless, cracked and broken dangerous lantern which was leaking kerosine....

That occurred over 3 years ago and I still occasionally hear about it today. Example: "That lantern was an antique"... etc. ](*,)

In fact, when I help this person clean now, I have to have my husband pretend that he is picking this person up "for lunch" just to get them out of the house so that I could have the opportunity to throw more things away (without them noticing)....

If you must throw things away again in the future, try to do so slowly and without being noticed. The whole garage being cleaned probably sent them into a state of distress since it was such a major change.

that's not reverse psychology - that's talking back - and you shouldn't do that to people who are verbally abusing you because that will just make them tongue lash you even more.

What you SHOULD do to people who are verbally abusing you is become better than them - don't let it get to you. That'll REALLY tick them off!

So I asked my dad if I could clean the garage last year and he said yes. He specifically said "throw away anything we don't use." So this year, overcome with bordem and a sense of tidiness I decided to clean it. I threw out random chairs, broken items, and books from 1991+. Today they yelled at me! They were furious that I threw away all the old crap in the garage. I asked if they were looking for specific things? If they even remember anything in the garage that they wanted--they couldn't give me an answer and yelled at me more. They then yelled at me for things that weren't even missing either!

image removed

link removed

Don't mess with the elderly.

Not wanting to totally hijack the thread, but am apparently doing so anyway ... I'm sitting here for the first time in my life and it's easier to see the monitor wearing reading glasses ... I'm hoping it's just that my latest set of contacts are just a tad on the strong side since they're a different brand. Heavens, I hope so!!!

I think the older people get, the less they like change. no matter if the intent was good or not.

Ha!

I see it from another perspective. Aging forces you through constant changes, until your hard drive needs defragging. Some kid tweaks your file allocation table and expects you to act like a clean install.

It really comes with age: don't throw that, we might need it one day.....and even if it comes to encyclopedia that dates before people landed on the moon.

Well never throw things that are not yours.

Live with that fact till you live alone - than you can throw as much as you can.

For now, throw your own stuff, from your own room.

I think the older people get, the less they like change. no matter if the intent was good or not.

It's true. I'm getting old enough that since I was about 35, I find that change is starting to bug me and upset me. However, I'm a computer professional. So I think I have some legitimate gripes about unnecessary change. Like when Billy Gates changes the interface and vocabulary on things for no valid reason, and then I have to relearn stuff.

Course, I am getting old too. I don't like some societal changes either. For example, I can't stand seeing young guys' boxers and butt cracks when their pants are halfway off their butts.

Does that mean I'm getting old, have some class, or both? Probably both. I only feel young when I see a hot young babe. Then, all my aches, pains, and gripes with the world melt away and I feel 20 years younger.

Otherwise, I feel old and cranky, even if I do look younger than I am. I look 28 to 30. I am 38. I sometimes feel 58 or 68. My life is all about 8's, apparently.