why do girls dress to show off cleavage?

er this may be a sensitive issue, idk. sometimes it bothers me a little when my girlfriend wears shirts that show off a lot of cleavage. it honestly probably stems a little from my own insecurity in our relationship. of course id never try to tell her what she can and cant wear, im just trying to understand why girls do this.

the answer i got from her was that girls need to dress like that to be "socially accepted". idk if i quite buy that... sure girls usually show more skin than guys, and are expected to wear not quite as baggy clothing, but tehre are plenty of ways to dress for girls that dont involve a lot of cleavage showing.

is it that girls want to show off their breasts? possibly to other men? idk it just bothered me when i started to think that maybe she was trying to attract another guy cuz she knows she doesnt want to be with me indefinitely... she gets hit on/asked out alot and has a lot of guy friends (she was a bit of a tomboy when she was younger

is it just that girls like to feel and be attractive, and arent necesarily trying to attract a guy, or even realize how much men look at womens' breasts? (and please noone turn this into an argument about whether or not its ok for men to look at womens breasts if they're wearing clothing that shows them off)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought it's because they enjoy their bodies and are proud of them.

Why do women wear tight jeans? Why do they wear short skirts? Why do men wear tight shirts that show their big, sexy muscles? Because it's fun to look sexy.

It doesn't mean that we are horny and looking for someone to do us.

But if your girlfriend is doing this to be accepted by society, she might have some issues to work through.

I would tend to think yes, it's because we like to feel attractive. And we feel attractive by putting emphasis on what we're proud of. I don't have big enough boobs for clevage & not so proud of them since having a baby....But I do wear tight pants cause my butt is what I'm proud of.

I totally agree with Hazey Amber. If you're girlfriend does it because she believes it's the only way to be accepted by society, she's got some other issues & does it to be liked.

I think it really depends on the woman, just as guys have different styles. Some are Emo, some are skaters, some are GQ....you know what I mean?

The women that do show off their sweater puppets do it for varied reasons. I was always more attracted to women that dressed more conservatively because I favor the classy look. Less is more.

I also feel that being with a girl who dresses skimpy sometimes has an unfortunate backlash on the guy. When I was younger I dated a few women that loved to dress skimpy and that being so, put me into some uncomfortable and sometimes violent situations.

Girls - and guys, too, I'd imagine - like to feel attractive and some low-cut blouses can be very pretty. That's why I wear them, anyway. Doesn't have anything in particular to do with wanting to attract someone - I just like feeling I'm looking nice. E.g., I'd still wear one when just going for a dinner with just old female friends.

I think you're on the money saying your being bothered by her tops now is more about your insecurity in the relationship than about anything she's intending. Did you find the way she dressed attractive when you first met her, did you not notice it, or did you think it was over-the-top attempt to meet men?

"I also feel that being with a girl who dresses skimpy sometimes has an unfortunate backlash on the guy. When I was younger I dated a few women that loved to dress skimpy and that being so, put me into some uncomfortable and sometimes violent situations."

im sorry i dont quite follow... are you saying u got in fights with other men because she dressed like that?

so what im getting here is that shes not specifically trying to be sexy to other men? idk i guess i dont like other guys oggling her but if she likes that i guess thats my problem and i have to live with it?

You don't want to be that guy that tells his girlfriend how to dress, so you either have to deal with it or move on to someone a little more conservative.

As for why she is dressing that way, you never really know. I doubt she would come out and tell you she likes the looks she gets from other men.

so what im getting here is that shes not specifically trying to be sexy to other men? idk i guess i dont like other guys oggling her but if she likes that i guess thats my problem and i have to live with it?

No, no, no! She is - or at least should be - dressing for _herself_ first and foremost. Extrapolating from her enjoying how she looks in close-fitting or low-cut tops to her liking to be oggled by other guys is way off base!

I hate it when women dress with their boobs hanging out and then get so offended when men stare at her boobs. I have huge boobs that I am proud of, but I really don't care for the rest of the world to have a peak...and I feel very sexy wearing normal, conservative clothing. I don't need to show lots of skin in order to feel sexy.

She just wants to show them off and it is something she likes doing. She probably gets attention for doing it and this reinforces why she does it. I dont buy the social acceptable thing but I think you need to think in perspective. You are 17 years old and you shouldnt be thinking about getting married or long term relationships. NEVER be insecure about a relationship, just dont fall into those traps. It is easier to start it now than to try to implement it later. Realize that you are probably not going to end up with this girl and all you should be worried about is having fun. Truth be told this wont be your last relationship and you need to act like it.

im sorry i dont quite follow... are you saying u got in fights with other men because she dressed like that?

Yeah, that is what I am saying. For example, I have never been one to start fights, however one time I was at a club with an ex girlfriend that wore a dress to the club. It was kind of a seedy place and I didn't really want to go, but I went anyways just to be with her.

Now, I had been going to clubs since I was 17 and have seen some pretty messed up stuff at clubs, (including seeing several attempted rapes on dance floors) so when I saw what she was wearing, I thought to myself "oh man, this isn't the place to wear that kind of dress".

Sure enough, after a fun night of catcalls and men grabbing at her, as we are leaving, I was walking behind her (because the walkway was narrow) and some guy leans over the railing and pulls up her dress. I stared him down and he looked away, but then one of his friends pushed me and it was me against 4 guys until a bouncer broke it up.

Iceman.. first of all, I gotta say.. thanks for the big side-splitting chuckle man.

women that do show off their sweater puppets do it for varied reasons. I was always more attracted to women that dressed more conservatively because I favor the classy look. Less is more."

Their sweater puppets????? ROTFLOL.. oh my gawd!!! that's too funny.. .

but no.. seriously, going back to the incident where your gf wore something too sleazy to a club. Yeah.. i can sure see where that would stir up alot of testorone that would make it really uncomfortable for a guy to deal with. This story illustrates that to a tee.

It's too bad that other guys cannot respect that your are with your lady.

I was with my bf one time way back, and this guy came up to me after the concert and acted like he was going to try to cop a feel! What I was wearing wasn't that bad.. but obviously he felt different. It was not a nice feeling having some strange guy pawing after me, I can tell you.

And the guy I was with was a good 6 foot tall.. so that should tell you something about the mood of the concert afterwards.

Sometimes liquor and tight fitting clothing are a bad mix.

i think that some women like the attention that the skimpy clothes gets them...they thrive on it...i like to dress sexy every once and a while but am more concervative b/c i don't like to be stared at by other guys...i guess i am more conservative though...we all have our individual styles...but if it makes you uncomfortable, you should be able to express your opinion...it is up to her whether she does anything about it or not...

Well, in my case, I can't help having these huge things and I try to hide them........but my choices are slim these days. I can wear really baggy sweatshirts or tops or cute blouses and tops that kind of show them off. But, hey, doesn't matter what I wear, they seem to always STICK OUT!!!

Believe me, some of us don't like to show off our assets, they are just there.

i think that some women like the attention that the skimpy clothes gets them...they thrive on it...

I agree with you. Some women do. But that's not necessarily what it's about.

Personally, I would love to walk around half-naked all the time. Unfortunately, I live in Canada where we walk around looking like polar bears under layers of coats and scarves and clothes. I loved being in Rio de Janeiro, where I saw women wearing thongs on the subway! Other Latin American countries were less drastic, but you will still see women walking around in very skimpy clothes.. And not just young women going clubbing. Women of all ages, pregnant women, happily married women, basically anyone. That's so beautiful, IMO.

I had an ex whom once criticized me for always showing my breasts.

Not necessarily cleavage mind you, but just wearing shirts that made others aware I had well, boobs. When asked for clarification, he said that I wore tighter shirts, or sweaters that clinged, or v-necks (I hate wearing shirts that are tight around my neck as I find it uncomfortable, but I don't wear stuff with a "v" down to my navel..lol). I was totally stunned and perplexed by his comments as I am not someone whom dresses "skimpy"! I tend to dress rather casually most of the time, except for work which is more professional. Sure, sometimes I would dress up and you would see cleavage, and I wear bikinis on the beach and such, but heck even just wearing a regular t-shirt cannot hide the fact they are there!

I reminded him that I wore a C (and I am rather tinyframed so they seem larger), and that ANYTHING I wore would show that I had breasts and I was not prepared to dress like a nun or wear giant sweatshirts to hide them. They are part of me, and I should not be ashamed of them. I work out and am in good shape and have curves, and am not going to cover it all up with way too loose stuff!

That ex did not last very long.

Usually if a girl has nice looking breasts (read: big enough, but still not too big) she is going to show that they look great. In which amount is the matter of taste.

If she has great legs, than she'll wear a skirt.

If she has great hair she'll be showing that.

If she looks good in super tight jeans, she'll wear that.

So your gf has that part of the body pretty much good looking and she's proud to wear v - neck shirts.

You have to learn how to live with that.

As long as it is done in a nice way that icludes word good taste in it it's o.k. And even if it isn't you can't change it.

is it just that girls like to feel and be attractive, and arent necesarily trying to attract a guy, or even realize how much men look at womens' breasts? (and please noone turn this into an argument about whether or not its ok for men to look at womens breasts if they're wearing clothing that shows them off)

Yeah thats more or less it. I often wonder what others are thinking of me. If I'm showing off cleavage it will distract the other persons attention away from my flaws.

I have great cleavage.heaps and heaps of it.i'm not ashamed of it and i like to show it off because one day they're going to be around my ankles and then i won't be able to show off anymore.My thought is if you have got it then flaunt it and all you men don't try and make out like you can't stand it because you love sneaking a peek and i love it when you do.

I don't know depends on the girl. Some girls wear that because they want to and if thats the reason then good on them. But if its because they think they have to they need to open their eyes. Sorry if that sounds rude but seriously. Up until two months ago i never ever wore a skirt or shorts above my knee i was so scared and thought it was disgusting. I dressed like i was going to church every day. I was terrified to wear what i thought looked good on others cuz i was sure it would look horrid on me. I have a little more confidence now. I still complain when things are short because i'm scared of what others think. My point is society is ruining peoples self confidence. People should be able to dress the way they want without people bearing down on them saying your to fat to wear that or you have large breats show them off. Its stupid. Tell your gf that you love her and she doesn't have to be anything society wants her to be. I know it won't work or stop her but at least she'll know your thoughts.