girls would u date guy who had less education , made less than u

joe45

any girls out here hmm would date a guy with a dilpoma-2 years from a community college and took like business/marketing or even a guy that went into trades at a technical instuitue-like plumbing, construction....., but u are a girl who went to university and has a degree in B sc, accounting, engineering... -would u date and continue it with him . date or marry . and why or why not. if he was asian guy would u, or if he was white guy would u ....

please tell me if ur asian and what kind of asian or if ur white...etc.

or how about if he has a degree but from a commuity college-would it hurt his chances.

any girl here ever dated or would date a guy who made less $$ than him- i bet most white men with aisan women couples are like that. lol hehe or even with the education too WM less educated than AF . g

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is wrong to generalize like this because it only perpetuates the stereotypes you so obviously despise. Not all asians think the same way, not all women prefer the same things, not all people with a certain education prefer the same type of partner and so on.

Dating is an individual choice.

I would date a man who had less education as me, but only if he was as intelligent as me (and of the same kind of intelligence).

That sounds really conceited, I'm no genius but there is nothing worse than having a prolonged conversation (which is what relationships partly are) with someone who is at the same level as you and is not 'clicking' with you.

A degree hanging on the wall makes someone employable, not attractive.

Being the best that you can be and being comfortable with who you are is more important. If you find yourself in a situation where you are being judged in this manner, walk away. What does it now say about someone with a Master's degree you can't hold the interest of someone with an AA?

Relationships and love are about you the person, not educational achievments, checking account balances and initials before or after names.

RC

If you think it's going to impede you in any way, why don't you go ahead and get your bachelors?

For me personally, I like to be with someone who has a similar level of intelligence and general knowledge. There is nothing worse than being with someone when all your jokes are way over their heads. In my opinion, knowledge comes with education. Now that I'm getting through college, I find it hard to relate to people who haven't been. They just haven't been exposed to the same ideas and ways of thinking.

That said, there are plenty of people who have been to college that bore me to tears, or have heads completely filled with air.

It sounds like you have some education and that won't hinder you in any way. If a girl likes you, and you have chemistry, it won't matter about your education.

I'm white by the way.

Yes i would, just because they are smart or might not be that smart doesnt have anything to do with them, it depends how they act, treat you, and how you feel about them.

Asfor money, i make my own and i dont needs a guys money to live so i can just sit on my * * *, i dont care if the person i love is broke, money doesnt matter to me, never has, aslong as i love the person thats all that matters

I am full Asian (born in the states). I am Chinese. I would date a guy who had less education and made less than me. My last bf had only an art degree from a community college and worked as a salesperson in a luggage store. He was four months older than me and he lived at home. I didn't mind dating him, although our disparity in income and him living at home caused trouble in our relationship. He felt weird doing stuff that I liked to do and could afford, and I didnt like his childish way of living (playing computer games all the time, collecting action figures and toys, etc). Other than that, he treated me well and cared about me a lot. He was also very understanding, generous, and caring about his family and friends, much more than my first bf (who had a degree in engineering and made good money) did.

To me, how a person treats me and how he is as a person is more important than what kind of degree he has or what kind of job he has, car he drives, etc.

There is more to life than money and degrees.

BTW, I do have a bachelors degree in English and History and am working towards a MA in elementary education.

I have no college degree. Intelligent women interest me, whether they earned a sheepskin or just have a clue through their own devices.

I realize there's a cultural value placed on education, career and income.

In some cases. that's an ignorant prejudice.

People are more than their degrees or bank account. I'm not just saying that to comfort my uneducated, working class self.

Don't sweat it.

Intelligence is attractive. It does not matter if they have a degree though. Some university grads are idiots and some who barely finished high school are very intelligent. A piece of paper means more for employment than it does for relationships.

As for wages, I would not avoid someone who made less than me. However, that person would have to be employed and find good things to like about his job (already went the route of being with a welfare-sponge who thought every job he had was steaming crap within two weeks). I want someone who can support himself and finds some pleasure (even if he does not entirely enjoy his job) in the activity that consumes a good chunk of his day!

Because I value higher education (and want any children I might have or adopt to learn those values from "us") and want financial stability as part of a long term relationship leading to marriage (and I don't date just for fun) I would not date a man who hadn't finished college (I have a graduate degree). I would date a man who made less $ than me. I would not date a man who I thought was less intelligent than me (intelligence broadly defined - academically, social, emotional) because I wouldn't have the right kind of chemistry with that person.

I would be friends with and am friends with people who do not have a college degree and I would not judge anyone for dating someone who did not go to college.

I would. Why because money isn't everything. I want finanical support for my children as well as a good home life true but i also am very passionate and i want to be proud of myself for making that possible. Also come on in the end money means nothing compared to love and support. (yesh im like a marshmellow im full of mush but hey its my opinion. As you can see i'm white but race doesn't matter either. As long as you like someone theres nothing more important (In the idealistic world anyway - still race doesn't come into it.)

I don't know where my BS diploma is right now (where ever it is, it's probably dusty).

As an engineering grad student I happen to know that there are quit a few idiots that have degrees. Education means nothing if you don't use it for something worth while and I don't consider making money worth while. I don't care what a guy does as long as he's a caring, considerate and loves life.

I'm going to have a PhD in a couple years, sure there might be lots of guys that have PhDs, but that doesn't make them special in my book.

i don't think it may necessarily matter to the girl, but from what i've seen, it affects the guy, whether they admit it or not... i think it can really affect the outcome of a relationship unless both people really do not care about/aren't affected by outside input and influences, and i don't think that's true for many people

I don't know where my BS diploma is right now (where ever it is, it's probably dusty).

As an engineering grad student I happen to know that there are quit a few idiots that have degrees. Education means nothing if you don't use it for something worth while and I don't consider making money worth while. I don't care what a guy does as long as he's a caring, considerate and loves life.

I'm going to have a PhD in a couple years, sure there might be lots of guys that have PhDs, but that doesn't make them special in my book.

I completely agree with the fact that people with formal education are not necesarily intelligent and that people without can be very intelligent/brilliant/successful. To me, personally, getting a higher education is a value that I want my future spouse to share and to share with a family we might have. I also want him to have a strong work ethic and be ambitious in whatever job, career or profession he has chosen.

So, by definition, that would mean that he is doing something worthwhile with his education (even if his job is not directly related to what he has his degree in - from what I have seen what you learn in college and/or grad school enhances your experience at whatever you do). Every serious boyfriend I have had has done something very worthwhile with his education and his chosen profession or career has been directly related to what he studied.

It's also important to me because I want those things in common with my future spouse - like my grandfather (who was a window cleaner for 40 years) and my parents, I have a very strong work ethic, have been ambitious my entire life, and without my education I would not have been able to accomplish what I have for many other people and for myself (both in terms of self esteem, challenging, fulfilling work for the most part, and financial independence and stability).

I don't think making a lot of money is a worthwhile result of an education but if you want a family having a formal education makes it far more likely statistically that you will be financially stable and financial stability is very important to me. Just my humble opinion.

Most importantly I am asking for nothing more than what I have accomplished and believe in (and as I mentioned I would have no issue dating a man who makes less than me - my boyfriend makes less than me).

Mostly, congratulations on what you have achieved and best of luck in getting your PhD - from what I have heard that is a long road but worth it.

I have an MSc, but have not once fallen for an academic. I go for smart artistic types with a lower level of education or no education beyond secondary school at all. I'm not saying that i have anything against academics, I simply haven't fallen for one. I don't give a damn about a person's income, so no, that wouldn't make any kind of difference.

I'm caucasian, btw.

I completely agree with the fact that people with formal education are not necesarily intelligent and that people without can be very intelligent/brilliant/successful. To me, personally, getting a higher education is a value that I want my future spouse to share and to share with a family we might have. I also want him to have a strong work ethic and be ambitious in whatever job, career or profession he has chosen.

Just because a person hasn't gotten a higher education does not mean they don't value it. I'm from a farming community where there are many people in the two-three generations before mine that don't have high school or college educations, they; however, vehemently want their children to have all the education they can get. They worked themselves to death practically in factories and on the farm trying to make the money to send their children to a good college.

There are more than a few cupcake majors that are nearly useless in the real world. The people in college taking nothing classes earning a degree that shows they spent a bunch of money to party and really do nothing should have no more advantage in life than the people who spend those 4 years working like crazy to pay the bills.

Bill Gates dropped out of university.

Winston Churchill, statesman, orator and recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature, did not attend university.

Many entrepreneurs, successful business people, artists, artisans, writers, soldiers and politicians also did not attend post secondary education. A few of them can even string together a couple of coherent sentences.

Just because a person hasn't gotten a higher education does not mean they don't value it. I'm from a farming community where there are many people in the two-three generations before mine that don't have high school or college educations, they; however, vehemently want their children to have all the education they can get. They worked themselves to death practically in factories and on the farm trying to make the money to send their children to a good college.

There are more than a few cupcake majors that are nearly useless in the real world. The people in college taking nothing classes earning a degree that shows they spent a bunch of money to party and really do nothing should have no more advantage in life than the people who spend those 4 years working like crazy to pay the bills.

I agree they might value it strongly but I prefer to be with someone long term who values it strongly and has achieved it on his own. Most people in my area (meaning where I live) and who are of the same religious background as me and in my general age group (in the last 15 years - meaning mid to late 20s to early 40s) have at least completed college.

In truth, since I was 23, I have never met a man from my religious background who did not complete college, was the same level of intelligence as me and was interested in dating me. Indeed, I can't really think of any man who has been interested in dating me who was less intelligent than me and did not complete college.

If I met someone who had not completed college and was the same religion as me and wanted to date me I would want to know "why" and perhaps if I could tell he valued higher education I would consider dating him. A few men through on line wanted to correspond with me who had not completed college - and their reasons for not completing or going to college was because they wanted to make a lot of money and did not feel a college degree would help them in that way.

Their values were thereforeeee not consistent with mine because I value higher education apart from how much money you can make as a result and thereforeeee we would not have had that in common.

Just to repeat - my standards only have to do with who I would marry - not who I think is a good person generally or who I would be friends with. I agree that some people spend their college years partying and working on useless majors - those people would not be suitable for me as a marriage partner because I value higher education, I worked extremely hard to excel at my degree, get into a good grad school and worked hard to pay for grad school (college was mostly free as it was an inexpensive public university and I won a scholarship).

If I lived in a farming community or in a different era (i.e. my grandfather's) and met people who wanted to go to college but couldn't for financial reasons I am sure I would take that into account. These days however, in the major city I live in, many colleges are very inexpensive, there are scholarships and even if it means going later in your 20s or 30s, it can be done (and with few exceptions, in my personal opinion I think a person should go if at all possible for several reasons including greater financial stability and for the education itself).

I do not judge your standards or views on higher education - you are entitled to those and again I wish you all the best in your studies - what an accomplishment on your part!

I have dated men, and been involved with men, whom had less education and made less money.

Intelligence is not something you gain through a degree alone. And a degree does not guarantee intelligence!

One of my friends is a lawyer, she has been with her husband for ten years; and he never went to college or whatever. He does very well though as a contractor now in the trades.

My mother has her BA, as well as a couple college diplomas. My stepfather started working as a mechanic at a railroad right out of high school and never went to school. They have been together over 20 years, and very much love and respect one another; and he is a very interesting, smart man.

My boyfriends father has been a farmer all his life, but he is witty, intelligent and loves to figure out how things work.

I have gone to school with many people there just because they were having it paid for, and they did not want to work yet. Many of them I can say are definitely not more intelligent than someone whom did not have the same opportunity afforded them; or whom chose a different path in life maybe due to different interests, talents and dreams.

A job is a job, I'm not my job, just as I am not my degree, or my research. Nor would I want to date someone who is their job or a degree. A person can't be defined by degrees, they are individuals with ideas, minds, and emotions all their own, they have loves and joys. Pigeon hole people based on any one aspect of their person and the result is missing the vast differences that make up each person. Every person has the own facets that we can or can not see by the little we know of them, the only way you can find out who they truly are is take in every thing about them and look at the whole and not each little flaw or brilliance. No one will ever be perfect or have the same advantages as others. College is not cheap and there are many people in this world that want to go to college and could do so much at college, but because of money, family, culture, which ever they can not go. They are still amazing and wonderful people.

it doesn't seem like anyone here is saying that a degree makes a person, because of COURSE not everyone who is intelligent has gone to college and not everyone who is in college is necessarily intelligent (or interesting)... it's just whether or not you personally would want to date a guy who had less education..

i have, and i would again but for me the limiting factor is a man's intelligence, character, and ambition. I think a lack of ambition is unattractive, i want to be with someone who is driven toward SOMETHING and actively working on his own personal goals and not just letting life pass him by... and that does not necessarily include or exclude everyone who has been to college.

a friend of mine told me that guys want to feel that they are at or above the "level" with the woman that they are with , so if it's not financially then it's educationally or whatever is important to them, but it's easy for a man to feel threatened/vulnerable in some way when he cannot bring as much to the table as the woman he's with... i tend to agree with that and i dont' think that only goes for chauvanists, i think it is just a male instinct.

I know for me a degree or education does not make the person - or his or her job or career (I am not a workaholic and would not want to date one). When it comes to choosing a marriage partner I know from my own personal experience that when I have tried to date men who are less intelligent than me, or did not finish college (and don't plan to) or who do not have a solid work ethic and ambition, we would not be compatible for the long term. Just wanted to make it clear that any exaggeration of what I wrote to be interpreted as my believing that education or a degree or a career or a job "make" a person what he or she is is not at all what I said.

I know people who are compatible with partners who have less education or less intelligence or less ambition or less of a work ethic. That's great that that works for them. I also know people who overlooked those types of differences and now regret having done so.

I also know people who won't date someone who is shorter than them, or who is more than 20 pound overweight, or who is too skinnny, etc. I am proud that my preferences for a future spouse are not shallow - they represent for me deeply held values and represent compatibility on a deeper level than looks (looks, attraction and chemistry do matter to me but I am not particular about specific features, height, weight, etc).

What I do find is that it is for some strange reason far more acceptable to express preferences that have to do with looks than those that have to do with intelligence or level of education. Not sure why and it doesn't really matter much to me why, just interesting.

I totally agree. However, those wonderful and amazing people who did not finish college likely would not be a good match for me as a marriage partner. I never had time or wanted to date everyone because I don't date just to date - so I narrow it down and screen out based on certain preferences - education being one of them, religion another, desire to have children, intelligence, financial stability, etc. As I mentioned, since the vast majority of the people I know who I would be able to date (i.e. I do not interfaith date) at least graduated college the issue has never really come up.

My college was very cheap - basically, free and I am so thankful that my parents made it a given that we were going to at least finish college if at all possible. I realize it can be a financial burden for people who need to work full time. I have seen many people go later in life or go part time if that is a value they hold. For those who choose not to attend college or who do not think it is worth it to go to college I respect that and that person likely would not be a good match for me in a marriage.

I do not define people by any one thing, including degrees. I've never met a person who did not have certain preferences for a future mate - whether that be looks, religion, ethnicity, cultural background, level of education, intelligence, sense of humor, etc - ranging from the shallow to the deep. If you have no such preferences that's great for you. I do think it's a bit unrealistic to expect others never to have such preferences when it comes to choosing a marriage partner.

It sounds again like you are construing my comments to refer to who I would choose to be friends with or associate with rather than my preferences when choosing a spouse. I celebrate peoples' differences and take each person as a whole person.

When it comes to choosing a spouse I have certain things on my "list" because marriage to me is not only a romantic relationship but also a practical and financial relationship.

I potentially could fall in love with many people based on how I view people (much the same as you do) but when it comes to choosing a marriage partner I have certain basics, including religion, intelligence, level of education, ambition, life goals, attitudes about children and financial stabilty. Others will simply choose who they fall in love with or who they are attracted to and risk that they will not be compatible when it comes to values. That's great if that works for them - I know it would not work for me.