What to say when you run out of things to say?

So you're talking to your gf/bf for 2 hours over the phone. For once, there's an awkward silence cause you can't think of anything to say.

However, sometimes you may feel like carrying on the conversation anyways cause you don't want to throw in a crappy excuse to hang up. Then the awkward silence gets noisy and you can't think about anything to say to stop it.

So what do you say when there's nothing to say? (goodbye doesn't cut it)

Don't talk for two hours?

I usually limit my phone conversations with my g/f to about an hour, unless we're really engaged in some subject or another. This is to avoid the silences, which in turn, could lead one or both of you to thinking that there is something wrong with the communication in your relationship, when, infact, there is not.

You've just said everything there is to say!!

Hope this helps...

My first ex who is now my best friend, when we got to that point, he would fall asleep on the phone and pretty soon I would hear him snoring. Then I'd hang up on him or I'd yell at him to WAKE UP!!!!

My current ex, if we got to that point, he would start playing a computer game and ask me for pointers or he would suggest that we get off the phone and go online to play a computer game together.

I think you should get off the phone when or, hopefully, before you run out of things to talk about. Don't bore your man or woman to death, don't try to keep then on the phone to keep them on the phone. Leave them wanting more. Get off the phone earlier.

Girls can yak on the phone all night. Longest I have been on the phone is about 5 hours with my friend from high school.

My best friend, if he is in a good mood, he can yak on the phone 2-3 hours.

I once had a 14 hour conversation with a good friend on the phone. lmao And I'm a guy.

My first ex who is now my best friend, when we got to that point, he would fall asleep on the phone and pretty soon I would hear him snoring. Then I'd hang up on him or I'd yell at him to WAKE UP!!!!

okay, i think that's really funny! needed a good laugh, thanks Ren!

I personally don't like to talk on the phone a lot, to anyone...so i think 2 hrs. is a long time -BUT i usually don't time my phone calls and i don't really worry about running out of things to say, if the converation is over or slowing down, then we'll just call it quits for then...not a big deal.

i also think that maybe if it feels awkward when your talking to your SO, maybe the silence is just cause you miss them and you just don't want to get off the phone? does that make sense? and then that's where you start worrying - OMG, i need to keep talking, what to talk about......i don't know, just my thoughts!

well if you're calling everyday or close to everyday sometimes there just isn't that much to talk about that's new and exciting. sometimes it's best to just end a phone convo when it gets stale with the understanding that there is nothing wrong with the relationship or a person in the relationship, but you have just run out of things to talk about for the moment!

don't forget that one of the signs of a good relationship is when there is a comfortable silence between two people after they have been talking for a while. it's a sign of contentment with each other. also phone conversations with people are very different than conversations face to face. when you're on the phone with someone there can be many distractions that the other person isn't seeing. and you can't really pick up on their body language that's saying they are bored or are done talking for the moment - you have to rely on tone of voice. isn't it true that 60% or so of all communication is through body language alone?

Then the awkward silence gets noisy and you can't think about anything to say to stop it.

Doesn't happen. I don't love the phone, but I don't have a problem keeping a phone conversation going. When there's nothing to say but you both want to keep talking, you joke about how awkward and silly the situation is. It reduces tension and turns you into conversational teammates instead of dance partners. Then you point out that the two of you are going to have to dig deeper for new material. Ask about your partner's first grade teacher, his/her childhood nemesis, or favorite planet. If you're curious about each other, it's all good. Random bits help complete the picture. Even silly stuff leads places. 'Do you like puzzles, or hate them?' can lead to a myriad of nooks and crannies--forgotten stories, complaints about siblings, childhood hospital trips, etc. But I'm a goofball and like that sort of miscellaneous info. If the other person is the same way, it works out.

yeah my boyfriend is away atm, so i talk to him everyday around 4 hrs a night. I get worried that maybe if i talk to him for too long he'l just get sick of hearing me, itll be like im with him anyway and then he wont miss me! lol i still do it tho....... hmm... im not really much help lol

So you're talking to your gf/bf for 2 hours over the phone. For once, there's an awkward silence cause you can't think of anything to say.

However, sometimes you may feel like carrying on the conversation anyways cause you don't want to throw in a crappy excuse to hang up. Then the awkward silence gets noisy and you can't think about anything to say to stop it.

man how do you feel uncomfortable when you already have a relationship? I guess everyone is different handling relationships. I know I would be extremely comfortable if I had a g/f, I'd just let her know honestly that there's nothing else to talk about or something around that. It would seem easy for me, I mean I can do it with my friends, so I'd guess that it'd be just like that with a g/f. Well I've never had a relationship before so who am I to speak? But yeah...

really? i've topped 4 on a three way once.

That can be taken in sooo many ways.

Remember the Seinfeld episode when George always wanted to leave on a high note, so as soon as he said something and then heard the room laughing, he'd bolt for the door to leave on a high note. So when that stuck moment comes for you, say something laugh out loud funny, then say goodbye. You'll be on her mind long past the conversation after that tummy tickler and she can't wait to speak to you again.

I believe I've talked for 7 hours in a row as my personal record. And if we count total for the day, the number would probably be a little higher.

What do you say when you run out of things to say? Impossible. You can never run out of things to say.

Play each other songs over the phone.

Read each other quotes.

Ask random and bizarre questions, like how does ink get into pens.

Share an amusing story from when you were young.

Get into an argument over who loves the other more. (Love you. Love you more. Love you most. Love you mostest.)

When you really have a connection with someone, you can make a conversation out of anything and it will be fun. And you can go on for hours and yet it seem like only a short time.

Fender,

I imagine that if there is "akward silence" and it's your girlfriend you're talking to, then you haven't been together that long.

Getting off the phone IS an option and a good one. What is she going to break up with you if you don't stay on the phone?

I usually try to limit my phone time with women. So, when I do talk with a woman on the phone I'll let her do some talking. I'll shoot back some, then I'll cut to the chase and arrange another "hang out" session. It usually goes something like, "hey (insert her name here), let's hang out sometime this week." She agrees, then I give her the details.

Remember, being in person with your "target" is a better investment than talking into an object for hours.