Is a diamond important to you?

Are you talking a long term relationship gift here Water? Or for a girlfriend? Something like that?

It really depends on the gal! 

The thing about good quality expensive jewellery is that, well, you can actually pass it down through inheritance. There is a practical way of looking at it. Or re-sell, it has a value. Wearing diamonds has gone out of fashion. I can actually see it coming back in at some point! There was a time when old Hollywood maybe it was fashionable for women to sport their best at cocktail parties or events. Classic jewellery like that never goes out of style really but, it’s seen as uncool and tasteless to pile in your best if you go out.

Diamonds are a girls best friend? Oooo depends on the gal! I think most women are generally impressed by them though. I think what takes someone back gift wise is when the gift given really expresses the depth and uniqueness and personal tastes of the person gettin’ in the gift! From the heart type gifts are always the best.

My husband knows I love antiques - even antique jewellery and watches. I don’t have many but if I am buying something like that, gold is great value second hand, and Art Deco rings and what not, there are some fab things out there. My engagement ring is basically just second hand! We got it at an antique jewellers in York. It was special to me because he didn’t go and get a platinum big shiny thing from a modern jewellers in a modern cut. But, the only diamond I own is my engagement ring and I have a vintage Gucci cocktail watch that has a lot of tiny tiny diamonds all encrusted on it. That is it. My husband bought me it for my 21st birthday. It sounds gaudy but I actually used to wear that watch to the office everyday. With it being so delicate it was understated and looked great with suits. But that’s it for me, diamond wise! Like other women here, I’m not blown away! Maybe I just don’t suit them! 

I think, corny and bland as it sounds - it really does depend on the gal!

x

• Like 1

Hmm does an engagement/wedding ring NEED to have a diamond in it? Absolutely not. This stuff costs a kidney lol

But, if my SO went out of his way to save money and buy one for me, gosh, I would be thrilled and super happy. I'd be happy if he got it within an antique design (like @mylolita) as it is the only kind of accessory I fancy diamonds with!

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, DarkCh0c0 said:

Hmm does an engagement/wedding ring NEED to have a diamond in it? Absolutely not. This stuff costs a kidney lol

But, if my SO went out of his way to save money and buy one for me, gosh, I would be thrilled and super happy. I'd be happy if he got it within an antique design (like @mylolita) as it is the only kind of accessory I fancy diamonds with!

Well Dark you obviously have great taste 😜🤣

x

• Haha 1

I have to admit, when I was young I might have viewed diamonds and size of them as some sort of status.  My ex bought me a beautiful engagement ring with a rather large diamond (at the time) The size is probably considered conservative no adays'   But I got a lot of attention over it.  It was quite a prize.  

Several years later I realized it was not a measure of much, other than the money spent.  The larger the diamond didn't mean you were privileged in any way and it certainly didn't mean you were loved more. Post divorce I took it to a jeweler and traded it in for a few pieces of smaller jewelry and a gift for my mother.  My ex asked what I did with it, I thought he was going to faint.   

Today, yah it means nothing.  For me, maturity teaches you what's really important.  That isn't it.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, LikeWater said:

A diamond is a gemstone, but what do you prefer?

You're right!! 😅 Hehe, maaan was my brain tired when I wrote this, lol. Yeah, I was thinking more of Green Jade, Rose Quartz... those sort of stones. They look very nice in jewellery. For example, a simple drop earring with Green Jade. 

Are you thinking of getting a lady something? 🙂

I think as others have pointed out, every woman has a different preferences. Big stones aren't necessary to show someone how much you care about them. To be honest, opulence isn't for me.

Some stones have more resale value than others if you're thinking of long term investments.

I generally don't wear rings, but if I were to get engaged I'd like a simple and elegant white gold ring. I love to wear silver items and white gold doesn't require as much polishing / cleaning.

Well darling an emerald will do because I have green eyes - please note!

Thank you 🤣

I’d prefer a fast car or, just a house. Not much - LOL! 

This discussion makes me think of this scene:

“My lady, a woman of your beauty has no need for such…decorations.”

x

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Well darling an emerald will do because I have green eyes - please note!

Thank you 🤣

I’d prefer a fast car or, just a house. Not much - LOL! 

This discussion makes me think of this scene:

“My lady, a woman of your beauty has no need for such…decorations.”

x

Love that scene lol. 

• Haha 1
Just now, itsallgrand said:

Love that scene lol. 

😍 Go Kevin! Hahahaha!

And she didn’t, did she! When you have a gorgeous, naturally beautiful woman, instead of enhancing, I find over powering, diamond clad jewellery detracts instead of emphasises her beauty. I also find them ageing. Wearing a big diamond anything isn’t a youthful thing.

But, that’s just me! I would rather buy furniture; art! Flowers! Bonsai! But I do get it. Most women are little magpies! We go - ooooo! Gorgeous! I have admired plenty a stand out ring. Bigger isn’t always better. Quality and cut; that’s what is important when it comes to diamonds.

Hey; maybe Marilyn was right huh! When you’re old and wrinkly, at least you can sell a few! 🤤😘

Hey! Where are my diamonds?!?!?

x

Since my hubs has never gotten me jewelry ever, or even tried, the first thing I look at is a woman's hand, to check out their rock (diamond).  I am so beyond envious - anniversary diamond bands, engagement rings, diamond rings.  I will have to wait for my mom's passing which could be like decades from now for her beautiful, beautiful engagement ring.  I have huge rubies and emeralds, but I love the sparkle in that BLING. But, there is no way I am spending money on a diamond ring (🤣)

So, in short, yes...if the person you are buying for wants one, then yes.  I would honestly ask what they prefer.  My hubs would never think to ask me or look for one, so I think it's more of an effort thing too.

• Like 1

Many years ago now , I even wrote about it on here I lost my original engagement ring. I was beyond devastated, not because of the value as it wasn’t expensive but it was a gift from my husband and he had bought it out of his work and sweat as a 20 year old student. That is what hurt me most . Did we replace it ? Yes. 

• Like 1

I'll go against the grain here, for me personally, yes, my fiance now husband knew I wanted a diamond engagement ring.  It was 1/2 ct. and years later, we upgraded the solitaire to 1 ct. in a white gold setting.  My accompanying wedding band has little diamonds on it.  It's a very pretty, understated yet elegant set.  I love it and it's still in mint condition with nary a scuff nor scratch on them.  I baby my rings! 😊

My husband's white gold wedding band has 4 tiny diamonds encrusted in it at an angle.  Each tiny diamond represents the four of us in our family of sons.  Unfortunately, he accidentally lost his first plain wedding band while playing baseball with our sons.  He tucked it into his pocket and we couldn't locate it after that.  Hence, we have since replaced it with the 4 tiny diamond ring which was my design.  Nowadays,  he gives me his wedding band for mowing the lawn, car repairs and the like.  I store it for safekeeping in my velvet lined jewelry box. 

I only wear my engagement and wedding rings for going out to restaurants and anytime I can be very gentle with my rings.  My rings never get scratched nor banged up. 

For local errands, I wear my cheap Walmart glass stone ring.  I am ring-less at my house. 

Fortunately, our rings did not cost a king's ransom.  My friend is a jeweler and gave us a huge discount plus wholesale.  It was affordable back then.  I realize it's not affordable nowadays though.