Broke my rib & downhill from there.

Hi Everyone, just wanted to see of anyone has had any of the symptoms I have.

It all started when I over reached for my dropped phone & broke my rib. It literally popped, and I had extreme pain. After an xray it was confirmed I had broken it.

Since then I have had numerous blood tests, a bone density scan, a chest CT, spine CT and I'm going to have a colonoscopy & endoscopy.

It was discovered that I have very low iron. I am a 4, when I should be 64. I have had 2 iron infusions in 6 weeks, and still have immense fatigue. I can sleep for 8 hours & still wake up exhausted.

I have been through menopause, so the low iron isnt from periods. It looks like I have an internal bleed, but they cant find where. 

The broken rib & low iron is very troubling, and I am under the care of a hematologist in a Hospital. I am in Australia, and we are in a strict lock down and most surgeries have been cancelled.  My Dr is trying to find a local surgeon who can operate on my asap, so I'm currently waiting with fingers crossed.

Has anyone had anything like this? I'm trying not to over think it & worry too much, but its easier said than done.

12 minutes ago, melancholy123 said:

I had been diagnosed with low iron 2-3 times in my life and was put on iron supplement tabs, 3 a day for a while then 2 a day then 1 a day and eventually my level was where it should be.  Is that an option for you?

Hi, thanks for your suggestion, but no, unfortunately I cant take iron tablets at all, they really upset my stomach. I have had to have 2 iron drips straight into my veins. 

9 hours ago, shellyf62 said:

My Dr is trying to find a local surgeon who can operate on my asap, so I'm currently waiting with fingers crossed.

What exactly are they working you up for?  What exactly do they need to do surgery on? 

It seems like they're trying to find a malignancy but that would require more than a colonoscopy. 

A hematologist/oncologist should be able to give you better answers than what you're getting.

Never heard of anemia being treated with urgent surgery. Nor rib fractures.

You're entitled to honest accurate information from your physicians, so just ask what is going on.

Wow, that is crazy. I have never had bad iron levels in my life. Do you lead a vegetarian life style ? Either that or there is something really going on here because no rib should break just reaching for something. It sounds like they are looking for a bigger issue here other than post menopause and bone density. Either a bleed somewhere or a bigger issue. 

I am post menopausal as well but have great iron levels far better than most women but bones do have issues as all the females in my maternal line have osteoporosis. 

I hope you find the answer soon and it is fixable. 

12 hours ago, Rose Mosse said:

I'm sorry to hear this, Shelly. I don't have any advice on the health issues you're facing but just wanted to lend support and here to listen anyway. I hope they can find you a surgeon asap.

I feel exactly the same and wish you the best.

Likewise sending support. Just want to let you know that your doctors are doing the right things in terms of testing.

It may seem scary, but it might not be. Lots of GI tract issues that are quite minor and easily managed can cause these kinds of problems if left unmanaged or unnoticed/unknown. The testing is a bit of a process of elimination, so please be patient and just do the tests and let the doctors figure it out even if it takes some time and you get a lot of "we can't find anything." Keep going and keep on testing. The "we can't find anything" usually points to something minor that's causing big issues but once found, can be easily taken care of.

thank you all for your support! I really appreciate it. 
The surgery I mentioned was the colonoscopy & endoscopy. Not really “surgery” as such, I probably should have said “procedure”. 
Because we are in such a tight lockdown it’s going to be hard to find a surgeon to do it,  but I hope it’s soon. 
I am not vegetarian. I eat chicken & seafood. I’m not a big meat eater only because I don’t like the taste. 
The broken rib & the loss of blood is the major concerns & hoping they can find the cause soon! 
I will keep you posted. 

2 minutes ago, shellyf62 said:

The surgery I mentioned was the colonoscopy & endoscopy. Not really “surgery” as such, I probably should have said “procedure”. 
Because we are in such a tight lockdown it’s going to be hard to find a surgeon to do it,  but I hope it’s soon. 
I am not vegetarian. I eat chicken & seafood. I’m not a big meat eater only because I don’t like the taste. 
The broken rib & the loss of blood is the major concerns & hoping they can find the cause soon! 
I will keep you posted. 

I hope you find someone soon! My stepdad is having both scopes on the 16th because they suspect either cancer or a bleeding ulcer.

Oh, OK.  That won't be done by a surgeon as there are no incisions involved.  It will probably be a GI doctor.

I've had multiple colonoscopies and a couple of endoscopies.  They are actually very easy.  You'll be "asleep" and won't remember any of the procedure.  The worst part is the "cleansing" before the procedure.  That's unpleasant, I'm not going to lie.  But your insides will be squeaky clean afterward!

Hopefully you can get it done soon and get the results.  And I hope you're not in too much pain from the broken rib.

5 hours ago, shellyf62 said:

, I probably should have said “procedure”. 

Yes, it's a simple outpatient procedure and a good place to start for an anemia of unknown origin work up.

The fracture in itself can be common in your age group. More pressing is the anemia. Particularly since you've had blood tests which would reveal how long standing or acute it is.

Simple blood tests also tell you whether the anemia is metabolic (hypothyroidism,etc.) Nutritional (not in your case) or due to occult blood loss (which they are investigating).

Eventually they'll have to do a PET scan to determine whether this is a benign or malignant fracture.

It seems like you went to the Dr for the rib fracture and the anemia was incidentally found?

Whatever it is, it seems you are catching it early and that's a good thing.

13 hours ago, shellyf62 said:

I will keep you posted. 

I'm glad you're in good hands. Yes, do keep us posted. ❤️

12 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Yes, it's a simple outpatient procedure and a good place to start for an anemia of unknown origin work up.

The fracture in itself can be common in your age group. More pressing is the anemia. Particularly since you've had blood tests which would reveal how long standing or acute it is.

Simple blood tests also tell you whether the anemia is metabolic (hypothyroidism,etc.) Nutritional (not in your case) or due to occult blood loss (which they are investigating).

Eventually they'll have to do a PET scan to determine whether this is a benign or malignant fracture.

It seems like you went to the Dr for the rib fracture and the anemia was incidentally found?

Whatever it is, it seems you are catching it early and that's a good thing.

Can you be my physician Wiseman ? lol

I had a bone density scan & it found I have osteopenia (sp), the precurser to osteoporosis, but this wouldnt cause the rib fracture, that is why they are looking further into it. 

Yes, they found my anemia by doing a blood test after my rib fracture. It was always lowish, but all of a sudden to drop to 4 was very scary. I had my second iron infusion on Saturday, and I dont feel any better yet. 

I do have a hiatus hernia, and while eating I have noticed food is getting stuck more often. This scares me, as a esophageal cancer came up in one of my searches. Good old Dr Google!!

I have another phone consult with the Dr on 17/9. Hoping I can get in for the procedure before then, so I can have more info.

3 hours ago, shellyf62 said:

Can you be my physician Wiseman ? lol

I had a bone density scan & it found I have osteopenia (sp), the precurser to osteoporosis, but this wouldnt cause the rib fracture, that is why they are looking further into it. 

Yes, they found my anemia by doing a blood test after my rib fracture. It was always lowish, but all of a sudden to drop to 4 was very scary. I had my second iron infusion on Saturday, and I dont feel any better yet. 

I do have a hiatus hernia, and while eating I have noticed food is getting stuck more often. This scares me, as a esophageal cancer came up in one of my searches. Good old Dr Google!!

I have another phone consult with the Dr on 17/9. Hoping I can get in for the procedure before then, so I can have more info.

Please don’t Google you will scare yourself silly . 

Archived