Should I sign this lease?

RuedeRivoli

Well, the reason why I'm doing the back and forth is because my notice period is currently running.

My notice period is 56 days, so I am bound until mid-January. The length of the notice period is a regulatory stipulation depending on the duration of your rental. Not my own choice unfortunately. You can't just give 28 days and leave, otherwise you're facing penalties.

This means that my rent for December is paid already. I'm not going to let this amount of rent go down the drain without me being there. I would do my roommates a huge favor, which I'm not willing to. I'll return the keys once the notice period is up or in the instance where a tenant is found before the end of the notice period. Until then, I'm tied to this place. I could choose not to be there, but I'm still awaiting for the bed to be delivered to the new place as well.

I will definitely need a clean break. I thought about sub-letting, but it will just drag out the inevitable ... meaning terminating the lease and it is an added burden.

I definitely get it, I've had those awkward periods where I am in-between places and essentially paying rent on 2 places while I wait for the lease to be over on one.

December rent is paid. You say you don't want the rent to go "down the drown" with you not being there, but you don't want to be there, so what is the point of staying? You have to pay the rent regardless so why not just pay, give the keys to the landlord (he can give them to a new tenant if they find out), and move all of your stuff out? How would your roommates be benefited from you not being there? It doesn't seem like they give a damn either way.

Just the way I'm reading it, it sounds like you are feeling a bit spiteful and that's fine (given what happened with them, I'd be too) but it makes no sense to me to keep going back to the shared apartment and making yourself miserable when you can just make a clean break for your own mental health and sanity.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the benefit you're getting from continuing to return to the shared apartment? It sounds like it actually makes you feel sad and upset.

I paid the last month of rent at my previous home but didn't actually live there because I'd already moved to the new place. It can be done.

December rent is paid. You say you don't want the rent to go "down the drown" with you not being there, but you don't want to be there, so what is the point of staying? You have to pay the rent regardless so why not just pay, give the keys to the landlord (he can give them to a new tenant if they find out), and move all of your stuff out? How would your roommates be benefited from you not being there? It doesn't seem like they give a damn either way.

My thoughts exactly. You're paying whether you go there or not. What, besides stress, do you achieve by going there?

Thank you, all!

This week has been quite busy, but a few things happened that made me realize this shared accommodation phase is truly over. This shared apartment as great as it is does not feel like a "home", but just an apartment. I've started putting things together in my new apartment and it definitely feels like a "home" which represents my personality quite well. 

We received a call from the agent managing the shared apartment and there will be a change in both agents and lease. The lease will be such as one of us will become the master tenant whilst the two other two are not on the lease and are merely sub-tenants (there goes my chance to have any control on who I want) in addition to joint liability in case of default of payment (we didn't have this clause in our original lease). This was definitely an additional factor in my decision to move on for good. 

The rude roommate has increased the frequency of bringing her boyfriend over while the other tenant has increased his drinking after I told him I'm moving out. The rude roommate is suddenly trying to act all nice since I told her I'm moving out (throwing my trash, cleaning when it's supposed to be my turn, doing me favors, trying to initiate chit-chats). I think she clearly is trying to redeem herself, but it is far too late. She has been rude since she moved in not to mention the few incidents I highlighted previously. Who does she think she is fooling trying to act all nice? Whenever I'm in the common area to pick up something, she always tries to engage now when she couldn't even bring herself to say "hi" in the past. 

I cannot wait until this partnership is officially terminated. 

Archived