Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

I think it's wrong to ridicule anyone for taking whatever precautions they need to in order to feel safe and comfortable. Wearing a mask hurts no one and is actually a considerate thing to do.

Some businesses in my city still have signs on their doors saying a mask is required. I walked past one yesterday and a shopper was inside with his mask pulled down under his chin. And I thought, how selfish, disrespectful and inconsiderate. He was probably only in there for 15 minutes. It won't kill anyone to wear a gosh darned mask for a quarter hour. I plan to stop by that same store on Friday and I'll be happy to wear a mask. Doesn't bother me a bit.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, boltnrun said:

I think it's wrong to ridicule anyone for taking whatever precautions they need to in order to feel safe and comfortable. Wearing a mask hurts no one and is actually a considerate thing to do.

Some businesses in my city still have signs on their doors saying a mask is required. I walked past one yesterday and a shopper was inside with his mask pulled down under his chin. And I thought, how selfish, disrespectful and inconsiderate. He was probably only in there for 15 minutes. It won't kill anyone to wear a gosh darned mask for a quarter hour. I plan to stop by that same store on Friday and I'll be happy to wear a mask. Doesn't bother me a bit.

I agree. I'm still masking up, and doing everything as I have been.

18 hours ago, Angelle said:

I agree. I'm still masking up, and doing everything as I have been.

Didn't the CDC just admit like last week, what most people understood from the beginning?  That cloth masks don't work at all (I get it that maybe you're talking about the higher medical grade masks).  

Look at where the most illness has occurred, and you'll find that the places with the highest mask mandates have had the worst rates of illness and deaths.  It could also be due to people trusting in only their cloth masks (that the CDC has finally admitted don't do sh*t), as well as people not regularly washing their masks and breathing in dirt, contaminated air, bacteria etc. straight into their lungs (which happened in the Spanish flu of 1918).

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/14/health/cloth-masks-covid-cdc.html

• Like 1

I've been using surgical masks and KN95 masks since early 2020.

My city has some of the strictest mask mandates and also was on the lower end of infections and hospitalizations.

I think it's possible to find examples of masks "working" and masks "not working" if you look.

Bottom line, it's not hurting anyone if someone chooses to wear a mask. If it makes them feel comfortable then why not? I see people walking around outdoors with masks on. I don't have a problem with it even though I choose not to wear one outdoors. 

On 3/10/2022 at 10:00 AM, boltnrun said:

Bottom line, it's not hurting anyone if someone chooses to wear a mask.

It is though.  It's very much affecting kids negatively.  They're even getting tooth decay in some cases and all kinds of things.

Plus, most kids aren't wearing N95... this is a recent pic from Los Angeles (one of the strictest places since you mentioned your area)

image.png.35391c3f252d478f38f218ffce134333.png

That's not preventing the illness and it's actually more detrimental to their health, teeth, lungs, etc.

On 3/10/2022 at 10:00 AM, boltnrun said:

Bottom line, it's not hurting anyone if someone chooses to wear a mask. If it makes them feel comfortable then why not?

I think people are more upset about the mandates.  Forcing people to do things they don't agree with, or even see any sense in.  If there weren't so many mandates, no one would care.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, maritalbliss86 said:

It is though.  It's very much affecting kids negatively.  They're even getting tooth decay in some cases and all kinds of things.

Plus, most kids aren't wearing N95... this is a recent pic from Los Angeles (one of the strictest places since you mentioned your area)

image.png.35391c3f252d478f38f218ffce134333.png

That's not preventing the illness and it's actually more detrimental to their health, teeth, lungs, etc.

So, the word I used was "chooses". I didn't say anything about mandates.

5 minutes ago, Angelle said:

I don't see how masks contribute to tooth decay. 

I saw some articles that maintained masks cause tooth decay. Interestingly, all of them were written by dental care providers who have large, multi-location practices.

I also saw articles debunking the "masks cause lung and tooth damage" assertions.

It's possible to find articles online that support any point of view that a person might have. Flat Earth, windmills cause cancer, Bigfoot is real... anything you want to look for can be found on the big, wonderful world wide web.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about support, not debate. I too feel bad for the kids for whom masks have been the norm for a couple of years. But I feel worse for those we lost to Covid and their loved ones. I'm lucky that so far no one I love has died of Covid despite many of us contracting it.

• 2 weeks later...

Mandates ended about two weeks ago here.

Warnings going out about a new, fast spreading variant in the UK and China. Saying it's already in the US. Conflicting info. Some say a huge wave is coming, others say it's probably not.

I expected a wave after restrictions were lifted so I'm not surprised.

We went out today for the first time in 2 years without masks. I would say 95% of the people at the store were masked. Some scuttled away from me in fear. As long as people live and let live . My son is going to his cards tonight. They have dropped the mask requirements. It is good to see my son happy and laughing today. Something he hasn’t been or done in 2 years. He was genuinely happy. 

• Like 3

Apparently you aren't supposed to use disinfecting wipes to clean your hands! I stopped wearing gloves inside stores and instead was using wipes to clean my hands when I got back into my car. I noticed yesterday the skin on my fingers was peeling off. So I read up on it and yep, it's a really bad idea to do this. I hate hand sanitizer because it makes my hands sticky and it causes a rash. But I don't want to go back to wearing gloves!! But I don't want to cross contaminate the inside of my car either. What a dilemma!

On 3/28/2022 at 8:58 PM, boltnrun said:

I hate hand sanitizer because it makes my hands sticky

I made hand sanitizer myself as per the recipe of the WHO. I bought all the ingredients early on in the pandemic. It is totally liquid, not gel and it does not stick to my hands. I have a big bottle in my car, so when I come back from shopping, I clean my hands first before touching the steering wheel. It works good.  

22 minutes ago, Blue_Skirt said:

I made hand sanitizer myself as per the recipe of the WHO. I bought all the ingredients early on in the pandemic. It is totally liquid, not gel and it does not stick to my hands. I have a big bottle in my car, so when I come back from shopping, I clean my hands first before touching the steering wheel. It works good.  

That sounds really good. I have an extreme sensitivity to alcohol so anytime it gets onto my skin it causes a peeling rash. My hands are a mess for several days after grocery shopping. Maybe I should go back to wearing gloves.

I made a hair appointment with someone I've never been to before and she made a comment about "now that the pandemic is over". Who said it was over lol! It's not over, we just gave up on trying to stop it. This is our new normal. 

2 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I have an extreme sensitivity to alcohol

Yeah, in every hand sanitizer there is alcohol, because that is the ingredient that does the trick. My hands are also very dry, and I don’t like using hand cream, because that is sticky as well, like the gel in most hand sanitizers, lol. So, I put some cream on my hands before I go to sleep and let it work over night.

The pandemic is not over at all. Where I live here in Europe, the mask mandate was lifted in most places, except public transport, hospitals and nursing homes, 2 ½ weeks ago. Since then, the numbers are going up again…….

44 minutes ago, itsallgrand said:

How did your hair appointment go?

I haven't been in over 2 years now. About a year ago I let a family member cut it... Ended up with a straight up mom haircut. And my hair curls up. It was horrendous, I rocked a toque when our though. Now it just is let wild. 

My appointment is for Friday.

It's been about a year and a couple of months since my last haircut. The last time I got it cut the lady gave me a Dorothy Hamill wedge cut, which I did not ask for. Imagine how that looked growing out 🙄

• Haha 1

My hair dresser broke her wrist now I have to wait to get my hair cut. I have given my son at least 8 mom cuts over Covid. Both our hair grows extremely fast and are very short styles so we begin to look like a hedgehog in about four weeks. 

No, the pandemic isn’t over but we can’t bubble forever. That just isn’t feasible either.