Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

31 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

My hair dresser broke her wrist now I have to wait to get my hair cut. I have given my son at least 8 mom cuts over Covid. Both our hair grows extremely fast and are very short styles so we begin to look like a hedgehog in about four weeks. 

No, the pandemic isn’t over but we can’t bubble forever. That just isn’t feasible either. 

Im laughing thinking of your son getting the mom hair cuts. Lol. I'm sure we all took our turns with some home haircuts that didn't quite work out.  

7 minutes ago, itsallgrand said:

Im laughing thinking of your son getting the mom hair cuts. Lol. I'm sure we all took our turns with some home haircuts that didn't quite work out.  

I have become quite good at hair cuts now 😀. I even buzz my husband’s hair if he doesn’t get to it first. I have cut my own hair a few times . I have never been one of those people that can just go to a random person to cut my hair. It just floods me with total panic and if my hair isn’t exactly exactly exactly exactly the way I want it I can cry for weeks. I could never walk into a discount hair place and just pick any stylist and say cut my hair would never happen I would rather die. So for me to find a hairstylist is a total nightmare. It was one of the things I cringed about I was even willing to drive three hours to go to my same stylist. But I find somebody here then she breaks her wrist. Horrible for her I totally understand she’s losing out on so much business because she’s always booked up. Horrible for me too. 

I just read online that China is requiring some workers in investment companies to live at the office so they don't have to shut those businesses down during their current Covid surge.

I can just imagine the outcry if anyone even tried to suggest such a thing in the US. I saw some pretty awful things in my previous workplace during the pandemic (which is a primary reason I quit despite being in an upward trajectory at the company and being very well compensated) but they didn't try to have us live at the facility!

• 2 weeks later...

Some major US cities are bringing back mask mandates because of a surge in cases. I mean, why are they surprised? Of course there will be surges when unmasked people are together in crowds and groups.

I thought everyone knew it's just something we have to accept. People are still going to get Covid, some will be seriously sick, some will be sick enough to be hospitalized, some will sadly die, and others will have mild to no symptoms. I thought they realized it's never going to go away, like the flu or chicken pox. We can't stop it without drastic measures and even when drastic measures are taken people will still get sick, like in Shanghai.

I still do some things to protect myself like wearing a mask inside stores and when buying takeout food. I'm double vaccinated and boosted. But I'm not going to extremes like staying at home all the time. I've just accepted that it's likely I'll get sick again. And if I do I'll stay home until I'm well so I don't expose anyone who might be vulnerable. That's all I can do at this point.

I think people will not adhere to mask mandates anyway. It seems kind of pointless IMO.

With the new surges happening, the people who are really at risk are those who are 1) unvaccinated and/or 2) immunocompromised with some pretty significant medical concerns. 

I feel badly for the elderly and immunocompromised, the unvaccinated less so. If it were just the unvaccinated getting sick and staying home, then I wouldn't worry. However, unvaccinated folks are statistically more likely to need hospital care, which means they are now filling up the hospitals, clogging them up, and preventing proper care for other people who need it. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I finally get my anxiety under enough control to travel with my brother and his kids (I talked them into going on this trip with me) and go to restaurants and meet up with friends and go to a bar...and my friend who I met up with last night and spent five hours with told me she tested positive for Covid today. She told me last night she had been feeling sick for a few days but said she was sure it was allergies. She was coughing pretty badly and had terrible congestion. I told her it seemed to me like she had Covid but she assured me she didn't. Well, she does. And she's all, whoops, I have Covid! My bad!! 

Who the hell feels sick these days yet chooses to ignore it and go out with friends? She also went to a party the night before. She said she was feeling really sick so she only stayed at the party for about an hour. And yet she still chose to meet up with me.She's a freaking one woman super spreader event.

Now I've exposed my brother and his kids. I shared a bed with my niece and was in a car with my brother for almost six hours with the windows up. I definitely exposed them. Yeah, we're all vaccinated and I am double boosted, but we could still get it. And it's all my fault.

I feel so, so guilty. And now I just want to go back to hiding in my apartment again.

Thanks, so-called friend. 

1 minute ago, Seraphim said:

I am sorry. 😓 I hope you guys are ok and don’t get it again. Giving you guys my best thoughts and prayers. 

Try not to let this hold you back. Hugs. 

Thank you. But I believe this is the universe or whatever telling me that I need to go back to just staying at home. I guess I got too cocky and overconfident and now I'm paying for it.

But exposing my family? That's next level punishment right there. I don't care anymore about me but God please don't let my family be sick 

4 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I would try not to feel guilty. We do have to live life. We can’t stay in boxes forever. This thing is here to stay unfortunately. 

But my friend knew she was sick and chose to go out anyway. And I talked my family into going on this trip and I chose to hang out with my friend. So it is my fault.

I'm probably not going to stay friends with this woman. She easily could have tested herself before she met up with me but she decided to wait. It's so irresponsible of her. And believe me, she was so obviously very sick. She looked and sounded awful. But she kept saying it was just her allergies and I trusted her. That's also my fault. I should have walked out as soon as I saw she was sick.

Just really down and depressed. After finally getting so much better I feel like I'm back at square one.

Sorry, this isn't my journal. I'll stop now.

4 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

But my friend knew she was sick and chose to go out anyway. And I talked my family into going on this trip and I chose to hang out with my friend. So it is my fault.

I'm probably not going to stay friends with this woman. She easily could have tested herself before she met up with me but she decided to wait. It's so irresponsible of her. And believe me, she was so obviously very sick. She looked and sounded awful. But she kept saying it was just her allergies and I trusted her. That's also my fault. I should have walked out as soon as I saw she was sick.

Just really down and depressed. After finally getting so much better I feel like I'm back at square one.

Sorry, this isn't my journal. I'll stop now.

It is hard I understand. Hopefully you guys will be ok. If you have had this strain before I am not sure how quickly it would be possible to get it again. Totally irresponsible of her I agree. Normally allergies shouldn’t make someone so horrendously sick that they can’t go somewhere. And if it was just allergies she should’ve taken an antihistamine and felt fine. So she was totally irresponsible there. 

I had Covid back in 2020 so definitely didn't have this strain. And definitely don't still have the antibodies.

I'm not worried about me. I'm upset because I exposed my brother and his kids. I feel stupid and guilty and so angry at my friend for deliberately going out when she was obviously very sick. She should not have taken the chance of exposing her friends and their families. Very selfish and inconsiderate of her. She likes to think of herself as some kind of rebel but this isn't rebellion. It's selfish and irresponsible. Not a good friend at all.

My niece and I have recently become very close but now she's not answering my texts. And I don't blame her one bit.

• 3 months later...

Getting my second Covid booster today. ( so shot # 4 in 2 years )

I feel mostly back to normal s far as doing everything without a mask. The only time I wear one is public transit in the big city . It is not required though. The only place in my province now where a mask is required is medical facilities. I have to wear a mask for my shot today because the pharmacy office is considered a medical space . 

As soon as they're available I'm getting my winter booster.  And that will make a total of 5 shots.  Yeah, that's a lot of shots.  But I take two pills every single day to stay healthy so a shot every few months doesn't seem excessive, not to me anyway.

I just reread the first 80 pages of this thread.  It's interesting how things have evolved over the past 2 1/2 years.

38 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

As soon as they're available I'm getting my winter booster.  And that will make a total of 5 shots.  Yeah, that's a lot of shots.  But I take two pills every single day to stay healthy so a shot every few months doesn't seem excessive, not to me anyway.

I just reread the first 80 pages of this thread.  It's interesting how things have evolved over the past 2 1/2 years.

For sure ! We are all learning to live with it . It is the history of a pandemic world wide and should be saved. 

1 hour ago, Seraphim said:

For sure ! We are all learning to live with it . It is the history of a pandemic world wide and should be saved. 

And hopefully learn from so many poor decisions made by worldwide leaders and citizens of their countries.

Politicizing the pandemic was the worst possible thing. Millions died who didn't need to. So much selfishness and using the pandemic for political and financial gain. Terrible.

I hope we can take from this that caring for one another is vital. 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
Just now, Seraphim said:

Anyone worried about the new variant ? I am kinda meh , but at the same time don’t want to get it . 

Not really. I certainly don't want to get sick but I'm at the point now where I realize I can only do what I can. I still don't like touching things in public like door handles and communal ketchup bottles (WHY are those a thing???) and I still take a shower after returning home from a public event, dining out or working in the office, but I stopped wearing a mask at the grocery store a few months ago. 

I am fortunate to live alone and to have the ability to work remotely if I do get sick. And I can do grocery pickup if needed.

Ironically, the few times I was directly exposed (and the one time I actually got Covid) it wasn't out in public but from a family member or close friend. In fact, I was exposed two weeks ago by my son! 

10 minutes ago, itsallgrand said:

I'm mostly worried for my FIL who is in his 70s and traveling! 

I am still reluctant to fly and to use public transportation. Being trapped for hours in a metal tube with hundreds of people, some of whom are guaranteed to be Covid infected, is not something I am comfortable doing. And forget riding a bus. No way.

I am traveling next Spring. I am spending way too much money to get either business class or premium economy flights. And I got TSA precheck so I won't have to take my shoes off and walk on the filthy airport floor in my socks. I always shudder at the people who travel in flip flops and walk on that nasty floor barefooted. 🤢

16 minutes ago, itsallgrand said:

I'm mostly worried for my FIL who is in his 70s and traveling! 

I am worried for elderly family for sure. So far my MIL has not caught it . She is 89 in two months and has A Fib and a pacemaker. 

My mom had it in January and was super sick . She has fibrosis of the lungs and asthma and is 77. 

I have asthma and diabetes but I am not so worried for my self . I had it last Sept and was pretty sick but did well.