Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

23 hours ago, Seraphim said:

How are you doing?

Thanks for asking 🙂

Much better.  Metformin twice a day and watching what I eat.  It took about 10 days but my numbers are now "excellent"  I've good from 300's, as high as to 425. To in the last couple days staying under 100.

-recap of the story of my bf's son and gf showing up announced after being home sick all weekend.  She has covid.   Makes me mad all over again.

7 minutes ago, reinventmyself said:

Thanks for asking 🙂

Much better.  Metformin twice a day and watching what I eat.  It took about 10 days but my numbers are now "excellent"  I've good from 300's, as high as to 425. To in the last couple days staying under 100.

-recap of the story of my bf's son and gf showing up announced after being home sick all weekend.  She has covid.   Makes me mad all over again.

I am glad you are doing well with your management. 😀 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Seraphim said:

I think eventually it will end. Hopefully before we are all crazy depressed and anxious. 

Struggling a bit myself.  Having quit my miserable job, hoping to be free from the house arrest of covid and sitting for endless hours staring at a lap top at home dealing with miserable staff.  I pictured myself a caged bear, being poked by a stick all day long.   I still find myself housebound more than I care to.  I imagined quitting my job I'd be free to come and go.  Not sure why I am caught off guard that didn't work out the way I pictured it.

I naively used to think my friendships would just resume to where they were prior.  But now, the realization that living entirely different lives with differing priorities for closing in on 2 years, we won't go back to the way it was.  Makes me sad.  They are still my friends, but we've strayed just far enough we likely won't go back.  At least not to the way it was.

One close friend has never changed her activity and has lived like there wasn't a pandemic.   She has spent the last two years surrounding herself with likeminded people and has formed solid friendships with them.  After this amount of time it's highly likely she won't come back to her original circle of friends.  It's not personal.   It's just the way it's all played out.

My best friend moved 3 states away, will be in town the 18th of this month.  She hasn't come right out and asked, but she usually stays with me.  Considering my recent health issues I don't think I will be able to see her, let alone have her stay with me.  She works in the optical dept at Costco in idaho and is exposed to the masses daily.  That and being cavalier about covid and flying in, I am not looking forward to this talk.  Luckily, she has other people she can stay with. 

Prior to the recent covid wave, when things were looking good, one friend made the effort to host the ladies annual pre Christmas dinner at her house.  (3x vaccinated only)  Every year in the past, no less than a dozen attendees. This year, 3 of us total.  The same 3 of us that have seen each other  sporadically this entire time.   

Still makes me sad.  I miss my social life.  It's hard to say no to the very thing that would bring me some comfort.  Right now my physical health is my priority.  My mental health is another thing.  Nothing dramatic.   Just a little anxious and blue at times.  I am sure I am not alone.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I am glad you are doing well with your management. 😀 

I am very sensible about covid and all the misinformation out there, but there are scores of articles making a connection between extreme hyperglycemia and covid.  I didn't get covid, that I am aware of.  But I did have a pretty good reaction to the booster in Nov.

Who knows.  This seemed to come out of nowhere.  I mentioned it during my dr appt.  No surprise he immediately dismissed it   Ultimately, in the end it doesn't change outcome.

20 minutes ago, reinventmyself said:

I am very sensible about covid and all the misinformation out there, but there are scores of articles making a connection between extreme hyperglycemia and covid.  I didn't get covid, that I am aware of.  But I did have a pretty good reaction to the booster in Nov.

Who knows.  This seemed to come out of nowhere.  I mentioned it during my dr appt.  No surprise he immediately dismissed it   Ultimately, in the end it doesn't change outcome.

True. Once diabetic always diabetic. I was diagnosed before Covid and I do have a long family history of diabetes and I didn’t help myself out with my diet or exercise before diagnosis. So I understand how I ended up this way . Plus , I wasn’t extreme. I was under the medication necessity.

I hear you about friendships and relationships. Once this got politicized relationships were toast.  

I'm seeing a lot more people wearing masks outdoors. Also seeing a lot of KN95 masks. My city is pretty well known for being a real community minded place where everyone legit cares about one another, so it doesn't surprise me there's more mask wearing. I still don't wear one when I walk outdoors, but definitely anyplace indoors other than my home, my son's home or  my brother's home.

I'm waiting for this most recent awful wave of infections to get better before I do things like go to the dentist (desperately need) or get a haircut.

Hope everyone is hanging in there and is safe and healthy.

I ordered some 3D N94 masks weeks ago (prior to current covid wave) through amazon and just got them last night.   I started that new parttime job yesterday and wanted to be better prepared.  Wednesday, I went to several different places and finding anything other than fabric masks was similar to searching for a unicorn.  Minimally decent masks are today's toilet paper, it seems.  Even fabric masks appeared picked over.   At RiteAid the fabric masks were protected behind the cashier counter.  That was an eye opener.

I work two days a week for the time being, 5 hours a day.  I had so much anxiety about starting during this spike the night before I couldn't sleep, but ultimately feel good about it.  I am doing office work for a local equestrian center and the young lady training me is 3x vaxed as of 3 weeks ago. Next week, I'll be in the office alone. We kept our masks on and kept our distance.  Boarders do stop by the office to ask questions, but seem to stand in the doorway 10ft away from where I sit.

I'm relatively certain I had Omicron. A few days after my family Christmas gathering, where my cousin attended while sick and another cousin had tested positive right before the party and another unvaccinated cousin attended, I started having the classic symptoms of Omicron. Sneezing, sore throat, headache, body aches and fatigue. I felt sick for about 3 weeks.

Honestly, I kind of hope I did have it because that means my chances of getting it again are very small. I'm triple vaccinated too.

I do think this latest awful wave will decline in a few weeks. I hope so because I desperately need to get to the dentist.

Reinvent, your new job sounds very interesting!

I just ordered some KN95 masks from Amazon. A pack of 20. They're supposed to be delivered around the 28th. I figure I'll use them at the grocery store and the doctor's office, places where I'll be in a confined space or around a lot of people indoors. I'll use my regular surgical masks for quick shopping or dining outdoors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Most mask protocols have been lifted here. Of course they're asking unvaccinated people to still wear masks but no one bothered last time so I don't see them bothering this time either.

I'm going to wear a mask at the grocery store (crowded) and if in the very unlikely event I use public transportation and probably in the waiting room at the doctor's office, but otherwise I'll skip it.

I feel weird going maskless, TBH. I kind of got used to it.  Not liking it, but got used to it.

Interestingly, many, many people in my city are still wearing masks even when walking outdoors. People here are extremely cautious and considerate of others. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Most mask protocols have been lifted here. Of course they're asking unvaccinated people to still wear masks but no one bothered last time so I don't see them bothering this time either.

I'm going to wear a mask at the grocery store (crowded) and if in the very unlikely event I use public transportation and probably in the waiting room at the doctor's office, but otherwise I'll skip it.

I feel weird going maskless, TBH. I kind of got used to it.  Not liking it, but got used to it.

Interestingly, many, many people in my city are still wearing masks even when walking outdoors. People here are extremely cautious and considerate of others. 

We have had masks for 2 years and vaccine passport since vaccines started and some kind of capacity limit. No the vaccine passport is finished and  capacity limits are done, so it is just masks to go. No mind you an independent business can always ask for you to do those things. My son is finished and he won’t wear masks again and if anybody requires to see your QR code or anything he will probably just walk out. 

Me, I am probably done with everything and my husband too. 

Grocery shopping was interesting.  I go to a store that's in a nearby city because the ones in my neighborhood are way too expensive.  The mask mandate has been lifted, but I decided to go ahead and wear one even if I was the only one.  I would estimate about 75% of the shoppers had masks on.  The rest did not.  What was annoying was the two unmasked people inside the store who were coughing non-stop.  If you're sick or have a cough, have some common courtesy and either put off your shopping until you're better or wear a mask.  It's not that hard.

There are still people in my city who are wearing masks when walking outdoors.  I stopped doing that over a year ago. But it doesn't harm anyone and if it makes them feel safer, why not?

• Like 1

Welp, we are getting called back into the office. Three days a week in the office, two remote. I don't mind except for the super high gas prices that are going to increase more. I understand why and I support the reason. But it does mean more $$ out of my pocket.

Oh, and I have to be up at 5:00 am on office days and it means my after work walks probably won't happen. I can still walk three days a week, so that's something.

My prediction? Spring and summers will be OK, then small surges in the fall and huge surges during and immediately after the holiday season. And probably yearly vaccines will be recommended but not mandatory. My totally unscientific opinion.

2 years ago today, my Facebook reminded me, I was on a trip in the US. So it's been almost exactly 2 years since the first lockdown and Covid life here. I remember getting off the plane coming home, and within days the poop hit the fan. I'm pretty sure I had Covid at the beginning after my trip. In those early days, when no one really knew too much, I tried to contact my doctor and got reception telling me he'd call back. He never did. I get it, I can only imagine his situation at that point! So after trying a few times, I tried to go a few clinics. I was literally told to leave. I remember the fear on people's faces. So go home and that's it. No one would see me. I was super sick for a while there and so was my SO but thankfully I came out of it ok. 

And soon like you said Seraphim, no mask or other mandates. It'll be an adjustment again, feel like I'm conditioned now to this sort of isolation and all. 

• Like 1

The last remaining mandate, being required to show proof of vaccination to enter certain indoor businesses, is probably going away this week.

Still see a few holdouts walking around or bike riding outside with masks on. I'm going to keep mine on while grocery shopping but that's about it.

I think it's going to go the way of chicken pox. People will still get it, but except during the holiday season it won't be in large numbers. Hopefully the hospitals and clinics will gear up before the holidays to prepare for the massive surges that are likely to happen.

Oh, and I still have zero interest in airplane travel. I disliked flying before due to extreme motion sickness and now I'm even less inclined. Car and train travel for me!

1 hour ago, itsallgrand said:

2 years ago today, my Facebook reminded me, I was on a trip in the US. So it's been almost exactly 2 years since the first lockdown and Covid life here. I remember getting off the plane coming home, and within days the poop hit the fan. I'm pretty sure I had Covid at the beginning after my trip. In those early days, when no one really knew too much, I tried to contact my doctor and got reception telling me he'd call back. He never did. I get it, I can only imagine his situation at that point! So after trying a few times, I tried to go a few clinics. I was literally told to leave. I remember the fear on people's faces. So go home and that's it. No one would see me. I was super sick for a while there and so was my SO but thankfully I came out of it ok. 

And soon like you said Seraphim, no mask or other mandates. It'll be an adjustment again, feel like I'm conditioned now to this sort of isolation and all. 

Me as well. I seldom leave my house anymore except for necessary items. So life will be different as I want to get back out there . I am at a count of 724 days of restrictions now. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ And now gas is so expensive you can’t go anywhere. We are at $1.86 a litre right now which is about $5.60 a gallon. And it is expected to go up another $.10 just in the short term never mind the long term we are expected to be over two dollars a litre pretty soon which would be about six dollars a gallon. 

On 3/6/2022 at 3:58 PM, boltnrun said:

Grocery shopping was interesting.  I go to a store that's in a nearby city because the ones in my neighborhood are way too expensive.  The mask mandate has been lifted, but I decided to go ahead and wear one even if I was the only one.  I would estimate about 75% of the shoppers had masks on.  The rest did not.  What was annoying was the two unmasked people inside the store who were coughing non-stop.  If you're sick or have a cough, have some common courtesy and either put off your shopping until you're better or wear a mask.  It's not that hard.

There are still people in my city who are wearing masks when walking outdoors.  I stopped doing that over a year ago. But it doesn't harm anyone and if it makes them feel safer, why not?

I went to the library last night, for the first time in a few years (I was ordering books in before, and my dad was picking them up for me, I stopped ordering books when covid hit, just in case). I wasn't sure if one woman was someone who had insulted me on social media, for wearing a mask, and taking precautions, so I was glad when the woman who checked my books out for me, was wearing a mask. She told me that she isn't ready to give everything up, because it's still out there, and there are new variants.

Local families have lost both parents to covid. I've seen gofundme pages for them, and others who can't work because of long covid, as well. 

40 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Me as well. I seldom leave my house anymore except for necessary items. So life will be different as I want to get back out there . I am at a count of 724 days of restrictions now. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ And now gas is so expensive you can’t go anywhere. We are at $1.86 a litre right now which is about $5.60 a gallon. And it is expected to go up another $.10 just in the short term never mind the long term we are expected to be over two dollars a litre pretty soon which would be about six dollars a gallon. 

Yes exactly, now can't afford gas! But I'm really really looking forward to swimming in a pool, better weather so I can take walks and explore outside again.. Looking for positives here. Seeing friends and fam!! 

I've heard some people can't afford to drive to work, and people are having trouble just affording life honestly. So it's new challenges ahead.