Boyfriends sister moving in

cotalava

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was trying to form a compelling response and you all threw me off with this. . LOL :D

This is all negotiable. There are 3 of you in the mix and 3 differing ideas. You sit down, hammer this out and compromise. Sorry if she doesn't like the terms, but that's life.

If she doesn't like the idea of compromising with those she will be living with then she can live on her own and compromise isn't even an factor. Everything can be just the way she likes it.

Who pointed out the jet ski? Painfully obvious starting point for saving money.

Seriously. Impose on the kindness of family who will take you in when you are struggling and get uppity about where to put your jetski?

Please?!$#

There's not "three of them". There is the OP and her boyfriend - who is the homeowner. The sister lives there or doesn't based on the pleasure/whims/good graces of the home owner and the terms are not dictated by the sister. The terms are presented and if she does not like them, she doesn't stay. The other thing you might want to consider is if she is "planning" to move in in six months, its not an emergency. Who knows, she may not have filed for divorce and her husband could end up agreeing for her to stay in their house. If it was a domestic violence issue where she had to leave immediately - that's one thing, but it seems long calculated.

I would suggest he stipulates that she must have a job offer in the area before she comes

BTW, if she has a job, i don't understand why she needs to move to your area?

There's not "three of them". There is the OP and her boyfriend - who is the homeowner. The sister lives there or doesn't based on the pleasure/whims/good graces of the home owner and the terms are not dictated by the sister. The terms are presented and if she does not like them, she doesn't stay. The other thing you might want to consider is if she is "planning" to move in in six months, its not an emergency. Who knows, she may not have filed for divorce and her husband could end up agreeing for her to stay in their house. If it was a domestic violence issue where she had to leave immediately - that's one thing, but it seems long calculated.

I would suggest he stipulates that she must have a job offer in the area before she comes

BTW, if she has a job, i don't understand why she needs to move to your area?

That has been part of my confusion all along. She has been planning to leave her husband since last December, they have their issues and she has stuck around trying counseling etc but says he hasn’t changed and so she is leaving, as of now they have different rooms in their house and she just wants out but she is trying to get a certain amount of experience before she applies to new jobs as she’s a new grad nurse. My boyfriend has told her to start applying and see where she gets a job and go from there. There is no particular reason she has to come over to our city aside from the fact it is more affordable than where she currently lives.

He told her that three years is too much because he plans on progressing and taking the next steps with me like getting married and starting a family she became upset at this and now is potentially not moving in at all because he rejected her staying for three years.

Good. I'd spell out to BF that I'm proud of him for resisting sister's demands, and I hope he will continue until he shuts her down from moving in at all. This is not some rescue mission for a woman who has nowhere else to go. It's catering to a much larger agenda that needn't involve the two of you.

Good. I'd spell out to BF that I'm proud of him for resisting sister's demands, and I hope he will continue until he shuts her down from moving in at all. This is not some rescue mission for a woman who has nowhere else to go. It's catering to a much larger agenda that needn't involve the two of you.

^This. Maybe one way to approach this is to be supportive of his decisions by positively reinforcing that he is making the right choice. His sister is not in any need and so not his job to support her. If she was in need, that would be different. Perhaps, he needs to hear just that in those simple terms and needs some validation like that so he doesn't get lost in confusion about a situation that's really not that confusing. Just a pat on the back of "hey, you are doing right by telling her no."

My boyfriend has told her to start applying and see where she gets a job and go from there.
Good on him for reinforcing to her that she can't just be codependent on him but rather she needs to have a good plan in place and stop flying by the seat of her pants.

I agree that communicating to him that you two are on the same page about this is the way to go so that his misplaced guilt doesn't overrule his good sense.

That has been part of my confusion all along. She has been planning to leave her husband since last December, they have their issues and she has stuck around trying counseling etc but says he hasn’t changed and so she is leaving, as of now they have different rooms in their house and she just wants out but she is trying to get a certain amount of experience before she applies to new jobs as she’s a new grad nurse. My boyfriend has told her to start applying and see where she gets a job and go from there. There is no particular reason she has to come over to our city aside from the fact it is more affordable than where she currently lives.

Part of her divorce settlement should be a place for each of them to live. She could end up getting the house with a place for him paid for partially with equity or vice versa, or they could sell the house and each have enough to rent comfortably or a good downpayment on a condo or house. Unless they are both working minimum wage jobs and renting, she has been calculating this for quite some time so i am sure there is another way aside from sponging off her brother. If they rent, then they both have their own incomes and divide the savings.

Part of her divorce settlement should be a place for each of them to live. She could end up getting the house with a place for him paid for partially with equity or vice versa, or they could sell the house and each have enough to rent comfortably or a good downpayment on a condo or house. Unless they are both working minimum wage jobs and renting, she has been calculating this for quite some time so i am sure there is another way aside from sponging off her brother. If they rent, then they both have their own incomes and divide the savings.

They own a condo and her husband will likely be buying her out of this. She is not financially struggling so that does raise the question of why she wants to come stay with us but it sounds like it’s because she wants to pay off all her student loans to be able to buy a house in a very expensive city. It sounds like at this point she does not plan to come stay with us after my boyfriend shot down the idea of her staying for three years.

They own a condo and her husband will likely be buying her out of this. She is not financially struggling so that does raise the question of why she wants to come stay with us but it sounds like it’s because she wants to pay off all her student loans to be able to buy a house in a very expensive city. It sounds like at this point she does not plan to come stay with us after my boyfriend shot down the idea of her staying for three years.

Good!!

Its a luxury to live with family to pay down debt in that case. She can rent just like many other people.

She is not financially struggling so that does raise the question of why she wants to come stay with us but it sounds like it’s because she wants to pay off all her student loans to be able to buy a house in a very expensive city.

I want that deal! Can I come live with you so I can by an expensive house?

She benefits at your expense? Uhhmm, no.

from the sounds of it, she can do just fine on her own. She probably can't pay off her student loan any time soon, but divorces are terribly inconvenient that way. She is probably fortunate enough to support herself just fine without taking advantage of everyone else.

Archived