Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver’s Seat (extended)

My son wants to invite one of his best friends to his birthday this year. Unfortunately, the friend lives FOUR TO FIVE  HOURS up North from us. His friend can’t come down on his own now because Greyhound stopped all services in Canada permanently months ago. I would have to drive and pick up his friend drive back and again Maybe on the Sunday or take a Monday off work to take him back. My husband can’t do it because he is the base duty officer that week. He can’t go 50 KM beyond the base. His friend lives in a place called Temiskaming  Shores. My son doesn’t really understand the complexity of getting his friend here and back because he doesn’t think about distance etc. 😭😭😭

I swear this move is going to be the death of me. The Packers are coming today and our power just went. there’s thousands of people without power across the province today because of storms and I have no idea why we have no power because we had no storms but now apparently most of the town has no power. 
and the Packers can’t pack my basement with no light. 

So my cats are utterly ridiculous, never move with cats. We got them into the hotel and Ernie immediately found a way into the bed. I mean behind the boards and all. Impossible but ok. So I had to buy a dog cage before they destroyed the hotel room. And these cats are medicated too!

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

So my cats are utterly ridiculous, never move with cats. We got them into the hotel and Ernie immediately found a way into the bed. I mean behind the boards and all. Impossible but ok. So I had to buy a dog cage before they destroyed the hotel room. And these cats are medicated too!

I moved with my cat and it had been a few hours in the moving truck and she was hollering so I thought she had to pee. So I fixed up her litter box and opened the back of the moving truck and set her down so she could use it. Instead she ran to the very front of the truck behind all the furniture and boxes and crap where the only way I could get her out was to unload everything.  We still had 2 hours to drive and it was hot so no way could I leave her in there. My friend who had come with me somehow managed to crawl under the furniture and boxes and drag the cat out.

The last time I moved with her I put her in her carrier. She proceeded to puke all over her carrier, so I had to stop and get her out and clean her up  and throw away the carrier. Then she spent the rest of the trip trying to get in my lap while I drove. 

Yeah, moving with cats is fun /s

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I moved with my cat and it had been a few hours in the moving truck and she was hollering so I thought she had to pee. So I fixed up her litter box and opened the back of the moving truck and set her down so she could use it. Instead she ran to the very front of the truck behind all the furniture and boxes and crap where the only way I could get her out was to unload everything.  We still had 2 hours to drive and it was hot so no way could I leave her in there. My friend who had come with me somehow managed to crawl under the furniture and boxes and drag the cat out.

The last time I moved with her I put her in her carrier. She proceeded to puke all over her carrier, so I had to stop and get her out and clean her up  and throw away the carrier. Then she spent the rest of the trip trying to get in my lap while I drove. 

Yeah, moving with cats is fun /s

Yup! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I spent 3 hours last night looking for said cat who was hiding inside an empty box near the ceiling. Here are said idiots . 

D8E3A63D-B5DF-4024-9E9E-21652EEFBE14.jpeg

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Wow, 11 years. Is it unusual for a military family to be in the same place for that long?

I'm sure you and your family will make the new place a home soon.

Very unusual, but the air craft my husband worked on and taught about are only based on two bases in the whole country. Plus he was what was called a “ hard blue trade”. We were posted 4 times in this time period but to different Squadrons on this base so we never moved . 

Now as a “ purple trade” we can be moved anywhere even international every two years if need be. And officers get moved around far more .

We drive away from here tomorrow morning.