Is this normal? If not, is there anything I can do about it?

Applewhite

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm on the East Coast. I don't have traditional cable. I use a service called "Playstation Vue". It's a misnomer. You don't need a Playstation to use it. If you just have an Amazon Fire TV stick (it's like a Roku, costs like $30 or something) then you can activate it just fine.

Internet costs me $35 (going away soon though, as my apartment complex is installing fiber for me for free) and the Vue TV is $30.

I don't get local channels through Vue but I get all of my standard cable channels. It's live TV too, no cable service, no taxes/fees, and outside of whatever you're streaming it on, no extra equipment. It even has OnDemand and cloud DVR for up to 30 days. You can pause live TV for a few min if you must, if you need to go to the bathroom or get a drink. I watch my local stuff (ABC, Fox shows) via OnDemand on Vue and it's all good.

You can get the same service. It's available nationwide. It may even have local channels for you.

Thank you! I am gonna have to look into that! My rent just increased $100 per month, to just shy of $1,500!

For a one bedroom. Granted it's very nice, close to restaurants and the bay, but geez!

So thank you!

Have you actually tried talking to him about how you feel? As in, explaining exactly like you did here? Perhaps it's a "guy thing", maybe it's just everyone, but most of us are not mind readers. Some people are better at picking up on non-verbal cues than others, but he may have no idea this is bothering you, no matter how obvious your dissatisfaction with his behavior seems to you. If you bring it to his attention in a polite, positive, and constructive way, while making it clear how much you'd like things to change, he might just surprise you. And if you aren't, at least you can decide if this is a lifestyle you can live with because you'll know whether he can/will change or not.

I can't speak for your boyfriend, but I know how much I appreciate a partner with the ability to express her concerns and engage in open and honest discussion. I've had more than one relationship end because the woman would never speak up about things that were bothering her, expecting me to just know somehow. What is worse, most were things I would have happily addressed had I know they were a problem, but never got the chance.

Suggesting he find tv shows that you might both like is a start, but it may just be too indirect for some people. Moving from that to cutting off the cable would seem passive-aggressive because you aren't being clear and honest about your concerns.

Have you actually tried talking to him about how you feel? As in, explaining exactly like you did here? Perhaps it's a "guy thing", maybe it's just everyone, but most of us are not mind readers. Some people are better at picking up on non-verbal cues than others, but he may have no idea this is bothering you, no matter how obvious your dissatisfaction with his behavior seems to you. If you bring it to his attention in a polite, positive, and constructive way, while making it clear how much you'd like things to change, he might just surprise you. And if you aren't, at least you can decide if this is a lifestyle you can live with because you'll know whether he can/will change or not.

I can't speak for your boyfriend, but I know how much I appreciate a partner with the ability to express her concerns and engage in open and honest discussion. I've had more than one relationship end because the woman would never speak up about things that were bothering her, expecting me to just know somehow. What is worse, most were things I would have happily addressed had I know they were a problem, but never got the chance.

Suggesting he find tv shows that you might both like is a start, but it may just be too indirect for some people. Moving from that to cutting off the cable would seem passive-aggressive because you aren't being clear and honest about your concerns.

I do think this is a great post. However i cant get over thinking that if we are unable to find a ahow we can both enjoy and watch when together at my place then i just really dont want to have a tv. I just want to cancel it or maybe get what was suggested above as an alternative.

I didmt have tv when he met me and if its making me unhappy then not having access to tv the one night we sleep over at my place should not be an unreasonable request. If it is then some serious thinking is in order.

Not sure if you can find it On Demand, but my BF and I watched Designated Survivor and really enjoyed it. We looked forward to watching it together. He likes the Walking Dead which I thought was kind of gross but I will sit through some episodes with him. The HGTV shows I like a lot too - and ID channel, like you. So there is bound to be something out there you both like. I curl up next to the BF and enjoy the TV time. We hug and snuggle during this time and it pleases me. Sometimes the BF will pause the show and we will discuss briefly something cool that happened. I consider it good quality time. If you share a show you both like I think it will improve things. Good luck and Happy New Year.

Not sure if you can find it On Demand, but my BF and I watched Designated Survivor and really enjoyed it. We looked forward to watching it together. He likes the Walking Dead which I thought was kind of gross but I will sit through some episodes with him. The HGTV shows I like a lot too - and ID channel, like you. So there is bound to be something out there you both like. I curl up next to the BF and enjoy the TV time. We hug and snuggle during this time and it pleases me. Sometimes the BF will pause the show and we will discuss briefly something cool that happened. I consider it good quality time. If you share a show you both like I think it will improve things. Good luck and Happy New Year.

Thank you - I will look up designated survivor now.

Has anyone watched the O.A. on netflix?

I haven't but I highly recommend Black Mirror on Netflix. Think of it as a darker, more surreal Twilight Zone show. Each episode presents dark scenarios and lots of thought-provoking questions. I think you'd have quite a bit to talk about.

My boyfriend and I watch a lot of documentaries together. We always have a lot to talk about. He's had me stay up too late many nights by now because we just get engrossed in conversation.

I haven't but I highly recommend Black Mirror on Netflix. Think of it as a darker, more surreal Twilight Zone show. Each episode presents dark scenarios and lots of thought-provoking questions. I think you'd have quite a bit to talk about.

My boyfriend and I watch a lot of documentaries together. We always have a lot to talk about. He's had me stay up too late many nights by now because we just get engrossed in conversation.

By the way I am trying to find the apple tv remote now so i can see if i can activate playstation vue - it seems like basic channels are $40- then if I change my fios service to just internet with optimum (i hate verizon anyway they suck) that bill should be like $25 so it is a bit of a savings I guess. I think my current bill now is over $100 and they make it impossible to pay because their website sucks and has all these errors so they keep charging a late fee too. To be able to pay you need to log in through a different device every time because their website makes you stay logged in but saves your password wrong (verizon admitted this on the phone to me!) - clearing cookies etc wont even help somehow

But the digital antenna is FREE once you buy it for $15 or so dollars. No monthly bill. None!

That is a good idea too if you can get all of your wanted channels locally OTA. (Over-the-air)

I can't get ID/Oxygen/CNN/HLN/AMC from that though so I gotta pay $30/month.

Fudgie, wondering if it includes CNN, TCM and Food Network (I am learning to cook lol)?

That and AMC are virtually the only channels I watch.

I have a Netflix subscription and watch On Demand. Movies On Demand are $4.95 each, on top of the bill.

I called my cable company and if I got rid of cable, my internet would be $50 per month.

So not sure if it's worth switching over for a $40 savings.

Right now I have a packaged deal that includes both cable and internet for $120.

Still thinking about it though!

Fudgie, wondering if it includes CNN, TCM and Food Network (I am learning to cook lol)?

I have a Netflix subscription and watch On Demand. Movies On Demand are $4.95 each, on top of the bill.

I called my cable company and if I got rid of cable, my internet would be $50 per month.

Right now I have a packaged deal that includes both cable and internet for $120.

Seems like optimum has a very basic internet plan for less - i think its $25 for like 10mbs so trying to figure out if thata fast enough

TCM is on their "Core" plans and above (I think that's $10 more a month) but AMC, CNN, and Food Network are all on the basic "Access" plan. I have the "Access" plan and I watch those channels so yep, they are on there. PS Vue also allows you to "log into" network apps, like on your tablet, so you can watch more content that way if you want.

I hate how companies want to rip you off with jacking up internet prices when you want to get rid of TV. That really irks me!

For Vue, I believe the recommended speed is AT LEAST 5Mbps download, that's the bare minimum needed. 10 Mbps is plenty. I have 15 Mbps internet myself and it works just fine, even when I am doing other things on the internet as I am streaming Vue.

Sorry to t/j, I feel a little bad.

Boyfriend and i are going to a NYE party tonight at my friends house. Neither of us almost ever drink so this will be a first and im excited like a kid

Thank you guys for all the TV suggestions. Im definitely going to actively look into some of these ideas.

Does it make me shallow that i am sooooo physically attracted to this man 😍😍😍

I'm so excited!

I hope you have fun at the party! Have you two drank around each other before? What is he like when he drinks?

My boyfriend kind of turns into a friendly (not flirty, just smiley/friendly) happy drunk. He talks more to his friends and really likes to play darts. It's kind of cute. I turn into a total ditz.

While I don't drink much, I find that I have to "like" my SO when he's drunk because it would annoy me to be with someone who is awful/annoying/morose if they have a beer or two.

Well neither of us really drink ever normally so even if i didnt like him when drunk i guess it wouldnt matter. He claims he is a happy/social drunk. I dont even know what im lile lol i guess we will find out tonight.

We both had half a beer on our first date

I drink so rarely that i dont even know what drink i prefer. I wonder what i should get on our way.... Theres this drink that tastes and looks lile orange soda. Maybe ill find some of that!

Its been such a long time (like half a decade) since ive been so excited about being with someone.

Boyfriend and i are going to a NYE party tonight at my friends house. Neither of us almost ever drink so this will be a first and im excited like a kid

Thank you guys for all the TV suggestions. Im definitely going to actively look into some of these ideas.

Does it make me shallow that i am sooooo physically attracted to this man 😍😍😍

I'm so excited!

It's good to be physically attracted to your bf.

Time will tell how well the relationship will work out. It always does.

In the meantime, have fun!

Saving pictures of women on his phone.

Knowing it upsets me why would he continue this? Is it really that important to him that he would risk losing me over?

If something made him this upset, I would stop doing it especially if it was a meaningless activity to me.

Looking is one thing but looking regularly to the point of saving? At age 38???

Archived