Looking for 2nd job

I work full time (m-f 8-6) and go to school between 6 and 12 hours each semester depending on class availability with my work schedule.

I really need a 2nd job to help pay for school and knock out some other debts. I feel like I'm drowning. The problem is, I only have a few hours at a time here and there to devote to another job. I'm not picky about the job, its supplemental and hopefully only about a year or so, but am having a difficult time finding something that is flexible enough to fit-even retail and restaurants.

Minimum wage would be fine since this is purely supplemental income to help out. Any suggestions?

Good thinking, anything you can do to increase cash flow is smart whether it's saving or getting more income. What about checking out the campus for work study or odd jobs?

A roommate would be perfect for my situation, but I've had no luck finding anyone yet.

Do you have a car that has 4 doors and is 2000 or newer? If so you can drive for uber or Lyft to make extra money. You can work whenever you want 24 hours a day and just go on for a few hours or even just one hour if you want. You're not obligated to work any amount.

If you want to drive for Lyft use my code Amanda6846 or for Uber use the code 4BCFUUE and you will get a sign on bonus of $500 after completing a certain amount of trips.

If you drive strategically during the busiest times you can make a few hundred dollars per week easy. It's a great second job. I average about $20/hr.

Hope this helps!

Actually, I'll advise against a second job because you already have A LOT on your plate. You might want to go to your university's financial aid office and see what kinds of grants or fellowships you may qualify for. You need to get good grades and maintain good work performance AND get sleep/exercise/do laundry/see friends, etc.... Don't overload yourself.

I work full time (m-f 8-6) and go to school between 6 and 12 hours each semester depending on class availability with my work schedule.

I really need a 2nd job to help pay for school and knock out some other debts. I feel like I'm drowning. The problem is, I only have a few hours at a time here and there to devote to another job. I'm not picky about the job, its supplemental and hopefully only about a year or so, but am having a difficult time finding something that is flexible enough to fit-even retail and restaurants.

Minimum wage would be fine since this is purely supplemental income to help out. Any suggestions?

What kind of debt do you have?

Also, what fixed expenses do you have? (cell phone, car insurance) and what is variable (cell phone based on how you use it, etc, food, entertainment)

Actually, I'll advise against a second job because you already have A LOT on your plate. You might want to go to your university's financial aid office and see what kinds of grants or fellowships you may qualify for. You need to get good grades and maintain good work performance AND get sleep/exercise/do laundry/see friends, etc.... Don't overload yourself.

Bang on. Lose your health and you lose your wealth.

You need to cut down somehow on outgoings (or get a roomate) rather than working yourself into bad health (which could be semi-permanent).

No one should work more than 8 hours a day. If you do find you have to, something's wrong.

What kind of debt do you have?

Also, what fixed expenses do you have? (cell phone, car insurance) and what is variable (cell phone based on how you use it, etc, food, entertainment)

In the last year, I had to replace the AC unit at my house and buy a new refrigerator. Those 2 things I financed. I also had a variety of unexpected expenses, they add up really quickly! I bought a car about 6 months ago. (I knew it was coming, so I saved a little and financed the rest.)

I have the typical expenses, mortgage, utilities, car payment, car insurance, etc. Really, they only extra things I have are netflix and internet.

I'm definitely responsible with my money, its just been a rough year. I've cut back on my extra spending. The AC unit and the refrigerator are the debts I really want to get rid of.

Oh, and my bank messed up on my escrow, so my mortgage went up 100.00/month for the next year. So between that and the fridge and ac, my bills went up about 500/month.

Do you have a car that has 4 doors and is 2000 or newer? If so you can drive for uber or Lyft to make extra money. You can work whenever you want 24 hours a day and just go on for a few hours or even just one hour if you want. You're not obligated to work any amount.

If you want to drive for Lyft use my code Amanda6846 or for Uber use the code 4BCFUUE and you will get a sign on bonus of $500 after completing a certain amount of trips.

If you drive strategically during the busiest times you can make a few hundred dollars per week easy. It's a great second job. I average about $20/hr.

Hope this helps![/QUO

Thanks! I'll look into that! My car does fit this criteria, Do you live in a bigger city? I live in a pretty small town (we just got a Walmart about 6 months ago, WOOHOO!!) about 40 min outside of the city, but I'm there for work and school everyday anyway.

Bang on. Lose your health and you lose your wealth.

You need to cut down somehow on outgoings (or get a roomate) rather than working yourself into bad health (which could be semi-permanent).

No one should work more than 8 hours a day. If you do find you have to, something's wrong.

This definitely wouldn't be a permanent situation. I had to finance a new AC unit and refrigerator recently, and neither are cheap. I'd love to find a roommate, I've been looking, but no luck yet.

Go through your home and start selling stuff you don't need online.

This definitely wouldn't be a permanent situation. I had to finance a new AC unit and refrigerator recently, and neither are cheap. I'd love to find a roommate, I've been looking, but no luck yet.

Another thing you can do if you're in the US is Amazon Flex. You can deliver packages to peoples' homes, and the pay is excellent. In fact, it pays so well you may be able to do that and not work anywhere else.

However, it's only available in certain cities. Search jobs.amazon.com and put in Amazon Flex (or click on the icon) and see if your city has a program. Also, it may interfere with your current job, but I believe you can work as early as 4:30 am.

From what I've seen, they pay between $18-$22 per hour. And you choose when you want to work.

That being said, I agree that you shouldn't work too much. A friend of mine was working the overnight shift and going to nursing school full time during the day. He drove his car into a retaining wall because he fell asleep at the wheel leaving work. So if you can find a roommate I think that would be a better solution. Does your school have a community board where you can post ads?

Tutor elementary, middle, and high school students on the weekends. If you are good at math and science you can make over $20 per hour. I get between 25 and 30 dollars per hour. For chem and calculus you can get even more.

That's an awesome idea that I hadn't thought of. Do you need any kind of certification to do this? Did you do this through a company/organization, or on your own?

Ah the price of keeping things cold eh? Savage....

You could always move to the UK, we have all the cold you could possibly hope for - free of charge as well.

Clearly define the blocks of time you are available for work and include a total. Clip that info to the paper applications you fill out at temp agencies in person. Online applications don't count--they don't place anyone who doesn't go there in person and complete an 'active' file. I'd do the same with local retail places.

We've come to view electronic applications as the only means of applying, but it's a black hole. Do the leg work, or you'll never hear anything from anyone.

Clearly define the blocks of time you are available for work and include a total. Clip that info to the paper applications you fill out at temp agencies in person. Online applications don't count--they don't place anyone who doesn't go there in person and complete an 'active' file. I'd do the same with local retail places.

We've come to view electronic applications as the only means of applying, but it's a black hole. Do the leg work, or you'll never hear anything from anyone.

I couldn't agree more about the online applications. I can't say that I haven't submitted a few, there are a lot of places that only accept online applications, but even for retail, etc I like to drop my resume off in person. I understand there may or may not be someone available at that time to talk to me, but I showed up, brought a resume, and looked professional.

I have a friend that works for a temp agency, she knows my situation and what I'm looking for, but said they don't have anything. She said they have a lot of one day jobs, but so far they've all been days that I'm already working. There is another temp/employment agency in town, but I'm not sure how I feel about using them. I'm an office/HR manager in my regular job, and we use this agency for work often. I have a good relationship with them, but my boss (the owner) does not. I find myself smoothing problems over with them regularly, and I'd just feel a lot more comfortable a different route.

In the last year, I had to replace the AC unit at my house and buy a new refrigerator. Those 2 things I financed. I also had a variety of unexpected expenses, they add up really quickly! I bought a car about 6 months ago. (I knew it was coming, so I saved a little and financed the rest.)

I have the typical expenses, mortgage, utilities, car payment, car insurance, etc. Really, they only extra things I have are netflix and internet.

I'm definitely responsible with my money, its just been a rough year. I've cut back on my extra spending. The AC unit and the refrigerator are the debts I really want to get rid of.

Oh, and my bank messed up on my escrow, so my mortgage went up 100.00/month for the next year. So between that and the fridge and ac, my bills went up about 500/month.

What about going to school a little less until you can catch up - maybe next semester instead of going 12 credit hours, just take 1 class - just for one semester - unless you will lose a scholarship by doing it. It will free up the money you would have paid for the other credit hours. And it will free up time. I know the old formula was to expect to study 1-2 hours a week for every credit hour you take. If you are freed up a little, you can wait tables, or see if anyone you know needs a babysitter so they can go on a date night if you like kids. If you need to make up $500 per month, a few weekend nights waiting tables and the savings on not going as many credit hours that semester might close the gap for you.

Also, what are you doing for food? Will cooking ahead once a week and portioning it out from the freezer save you money? Do you have friends who are interested in doing a once a week thing where you rotate whose house you go to and each bring a dish, and each walk away with leftovers to have a variety of foods during the week?

That's an awesome idea that I hadn't thought of. Do you need any kind of certification to do this? Did you do this through a company/organization, or on your own?

Mostly on my own. I used to work for a tutoring clinic, but that payed peanuts. I just advertised on craigslist and in the local PennySaver and a site called Wyzant online. I have my Master's, but it's in a division of Psych. But I have a minor in Physical Science. As long as you know the material, it doesn't matter what your degree is or isn't in.

Archived