Do I quit the seasonal job after 2 nights because of mean spirited manager?

blackgnat

I am retired from a Special Ed teaching job, but still sub because I need the money.

I was recently hired for a seasonal job in retail. I'd originally applied in June, got no response so decided I wasn't a good candidate.

August comes and school starts, so I start subbing again. retail store calls me up and literally says, "We couldn't find anyone else, so I'm asking if you are still interested in the job". I said Sure.I was leaving for a months' vacation and told her so. She said come in anyway and we will train you when you get back from your vacation. I got the job on the Cash register, which I find daunting-not too great with machines and nervous about the possibility of long lines. I had originally wanted to do stocking and this was also greeted with why are you here if you didn't want this position? And "Oh, it's easy, you just swipe everything". Hmm.

Training consists of me listening to company policy. Also spending a couple of hours on the computer, listening to online tutorials. No actual hands on training at the registers. Different manager "trains" me, all the while eye rolling and being sarcastic, asking why I'm there if I'm going on vacation. I say "the other manager told me to come in, so here I am". I could tell we did not like each other at all.

I started Sunday, shadowing another cashier, and it was kind of fun. Thought I might have the hang of it.

Tuesday I do 5-10 pm , after doing subbing from 8-4 at school. Was pretty drained. Manager I didn't like was consistently eye rolling at mistakes I made. I told her I didn't feel confident enough to work alone, but after a couple of hours I did. She was sighing, tutting and being miserable. I asked her whether I could give out one of the endless coupons to someone who asked for them and instead of just saying "yes", she says, exasperatedly, "Yeah, that's why they're sitting there, so we can give them out". Completely unnecessary.

I must add that EVERYONE else was pleasant, patient and helpful with me. Even the first manager who hired me. But THIS one-I felt my confidence was SO depleted by her snarky attitude towards me that I don't want to go back. Next week I have 23 hours, two of the days are straight after subbing (which pays $18 per hour, as opposed to this $8.25 retail gig) and the other two are Thanksgiving 5-1 a.m. and Black Friday, 5-10.

I guess my point is I really want to quit already. I was making beginner mistakes, but her attitude was so appalling that I feel I won't be able to do a good job.

Do I just suck it up, or do I have to "endure" her, as a point of honour, like, she'll "win" if I leave? It's not like me to give up so easily, but I just feel I'm too damn old and worthy of more respect than this.

Thanks if you've read this far-I know it was very detailed and all over the place, but I'm pretty beat...

In situations like this, I ask myself one question and I instantly know what to do:

"Can I afford it?"

- If yes: Leave the job

- If no: Suck it up

- If I'd have to move back home with my mom: Suck it up and get a third job

I worked 100 hour weeks for 7 months to get myself out of a financial rut. When I got what I needed, I picked my least favorite job and dropped it.

Don't give up so easily. You can't quit every time someone is being nasty towards you. Don't let anybody get between you and your $. If the meanie keeps making you feel uncomfortable, talk to your hiring manager. I hope it works out for you. Good luck on black Friday, btw.

Wait a second. You are a retired/sub special Ed teacher and you Are putting up with THIS behavior? If she is trying your patience, I can only imagine how she tries others'. However she IS technically your superior. If it is a temporary situation, I would ride it out. Don't waste your time though in the interim, learn some additional people skills to circumvent her attitude (I'm sure you will run into her type and worse dealing with the public). But if you can not turn it into a positive learning experience, then I'm sure you could find another job that requires less personal sacrifice.

So let me get this right, you have only been working at this place for less than a week? That is far too soon to give up on this job in that case.

I've been around long enough to tell you that there are all types of people in the work world. And people in positions of power, eg. managers, bosses, anything along those lines, well, they have a lot of pressure on them. Probably more than you realize. Sometimes they have to play hardball with people even if they are new. That being said, there are ones that abuse it and people out there that definitely have personal issues that leak into their jobs.

My advice... stick it out for a bit. Learn to do the job to her expectations and see if her attitude improves with you. If you ever feel she gets out of line, I would report her to someone higher up. If it is your work and things she criticizes, so be it. Just make sure things don't get personal. I've been put in that spot where I've been personally attacked and had facts made up about me. Don't put up with crap like that. But if she is just being a strict boss, well, you have to deal with it. Either that or be broke.

I've had many part time second jobs over the years - even the dreaded Telemarketing ones (which are easy and pay better than most other second jobs). What do you do?

j.man said it best... If you really need it - suck it up. When you're done... Drop it like a rotten potato.

About your eye-rolling, sarcastic bosses... Some people are just arrogant idiots. The world is full of them... You can look at it this way... You don't have to live with them so they can kiss your you know what when the day is done.

No...don't quit. You focus in your job....not HER attitude. Once you get into the groove, you likely won't have to deal with her very much. I was a manager for a long time...at a salon, but no, this is not how a manger should be acting. Just do your job to the best of your abilities until you decide you're ready to leave.

If you really need the money, keep at it, but I would keep an eye out for seasonal work elsewhere. The holidays are just ramping up and lots of places are looking for temporary help during the season. It's not just this place. Here, even the USPS offices are hiring for the holidays for help. I say keep at it but look for another job, maybe one that pays a little better. Once you find one, quit.

This manager is likely soured and in burnout mode. She makes it tough on people, because she's sure you'll quit, not realizing she's a big part of the problem. I've seen it before. You can either:

a) nod, say "Got it," keep going and ignore her.

b) snark back understanding she may fire you, but if they're desperate not so likely

c) decide you don't have to put up with it at all and not go back

d) give it a time table before you either get the hang of it and she gets off your back OR you decide to be done with it. Two weeks is what I typically gave myself before I would decide to bail on an iffy job or client. Only exception to that rule is hands-down crazy behaviors or sexual harassment, neither of which is the case here.

D is probably your best bet, because as you gain more experience things will likely smooth out and she'll get off your back. If she continues to snap and snarl after that when you aren't doing beginner mistakes then you can say something or just walk away.

Use what you've learned in dealing with difficult kids on her and push forward. It is just a temp job as well, keep that in mind. It's not like you have to be married to this person or even go into the office with them every day.

I guess my point is I really want to quit already. I was making beginner mistakes, but her attitude was so appalling that I feel I won't be able to do a good job.

Do I just suck it up, or do I have to "endure" her, as a point of honour, like, she'll "win" if I leave? It's not like me to give up so easily, but I just feel I'm too damn old and worthy of more respect than this.

Replace "appalling" in your sentence above with "unprofessional", and it might be easier to let it go. It's not required that co-workers be pleasant, although it is a plus when they are. In any event, she's being immature, and you could take it in as personal research on how NOT to manage people. (Take notes and write a book…jk…but imagining doing so can help it run off your shoulders.) If you still need the money, figure out what you need this specific job for (a specific amount? a regular income over a set amount of time? A fill-in until you find your dream job or to pay for training or schooling or buy a car?). Having a specific goal with a foreseeable end result can make an unpleasant task more tolerable.

I wouldn't quit. Just don't reapply for next season. And if you do decide to get a seasonal job next year, apply somewhere else and apply early. You might figure out by the end of your stay that cash register work is not for you and you are better off doing a seasonable job that involves stocking, greeting, or in a store where you are helping customers and the cash register is a smaller part of your job. If you are a sub and find that your work sometimes gets inconsistent you will be happy with the extra money to put away for emergencies - or might be able to save it so that you don't have to take a job next summer - you never know.

I appreciate all the replies. I've been through a lot of stuff before but for some reason, this person is renting out way too much space in my head. I guess I can't understand why she would be so unpleasant.

The thing also is that I know I'm really not cut out for the tech stuff and all the coupons and discounts-I'm smart but also stupid at the same time, haha, when it comes to logic and I really can't take in a lot of information at once-I have to process it more slowly or I just blank out. If I was kicking arse at the job, her attitude would still bother me, but I'd be able to discount it because I'd know I was doing the job right.

This week will be a big test-am doing tomorrow 5-10 (after subbing in school from 8-4) and Wednesday the same hours. Thanksgiving I'm doing 5-1 a.m. and Friday 5-10. I'll either be magnificent at it, or be a basket case. If the latter, I will simply tell her to shove the job where the sun don't shine...

Wish me luck!

In situations like this, I ask myself one question and I instantly know what to do:

"Can I afford it?"

- If yes: Leave the job

- If no: Suck it up

- If I'd have to move back home with my mom: Suck it up and get a third job

I worked 100 hour weeks for 7 months to get myself out of a financial rut. When I got what I needed, I picked my least favorite job and dropped it.

This. I work 2 jobs, 60 hrs/week. Im separated so quitting isn't an option, but if i could afford to i would. Others should do the same

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I appreciate all the replies. I've been through a lot of stuff before but for some reason, this person is renting out way too much space in my head. I guess I can't understand why she would be so unpleasant.

The thing also is that I know I'm really not cut out for the tech stuff and all the coupons and discounts-I'm smart but also stupid at the same time, haha, when it comes to logic and I really can't take in a lot of information at once-I have to process it more slowly or I just blank out. If I was kicking arse at the job, her attitude would still bother me, but I'd be able to discount it because I'd know I was doing the job right.

This week will be a big test-am doing tomorrow 5-10 (after subbing in school from 8-4) and Wednesday the same hours. Thanksgiving I'm doing 5-1 a.m. and Friday 5-10. I'll either be magnificent at it, or be a basket case. If the latter, I will simply tell her to shove the job where the sun don't shine...

Wish me luck!

Her being unpleasant could be any number of reasons including something that she is enduring at home. Don't be so quick to ditch the place. I bet after some time, she will warm up and who knows, maybe she will actually turn out to be a nice person just going through something horrible. *shrugs

Archived