Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Never understood why Facebook is a place for people to brag

tarrel

I wish I could like this, but I can't (it's in offtopic, no "thanks")

tarrel, there's a lot of things in the world that will make you feel cruddy. The onus is on you (the viewer) to restrict what you want to see or not. Anyone can post anything that they want on FB, and anyone can unfriend or unfollow anyone. Do you know how many people I've unfollowed? A good handful. Not because of their "good news", but they are new moms and I was tired of my news feed being blown up with babies so I couldn't see my OTHER friends' updates so now I've unfollowed them and I may follow them again in a few years if they calm the heck down.

Remember that FB is a reflection of only your good things in your life. No one talks about their health problems, their foreclosures, their marriage issues, etc. I can think of a few people who have "happy happy joy joy" marriages to the public but if you really knew them, you'd know that they have serious problems, like cheating, insecurity, unhappiness, etc.

It's a facade. People have a mix of good and bad things in their lives. On FB, they only post the good. Remind yourself of that and focus on your own.

I know it is but I am shocked that most people don't realized that and get bothered by someone posting good news.

Because some people maybe going through a rough time in life and will become more sad when people are doing well. I think when it comes to a new house or car you share it with your closet friends not the entire facebook list.

Remember 10 years ago if someone was unemployed and broke they didn't have to see their certain people going on vacations and moving into new homes.

But to take a pic of a new house to me is a little over the top. And the person who did this post another comment saying that she was not bragging at all. Do you know why? Because it rubbed some people the wrong way which is why she made that comment.

Yeah....I don't think that way at all. I'm excited for friends when they buy houses, get a new car, get engaged, get married, go on vacation etc. I don't think of it as bragging...I think of it as them sharing their life with others. I like it because then when I see them next, I can fall about different things I saw in their photos, and for me, it makes small talk a lot easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I find it easier to use FB for funny things, or news articles. Some of my friends brag, some people whine, and I'm just over here like "Look at this cat video", lol.

Messaging is the best part of FB, and that's mostly what I use it for. My Aspie friend and I talk over FB and we get into some really vent-y convos about the world and society. But that's best for a private arena (like messages with a friend), not on FB wall.

Most of my friends post about their political views, and I love it. I learn a lot about different parties that way.

It's also been really good lately because with the Syrian refugee crisis, I've also been able to find out which of my "friends" are racist, and delete them.

Most of my friends post about their political views, and I love it. I learn a lot about different parties that way.

It's also been really good lately because with the Syrian refugee crisis, I've also been able to find out which of my "friends" are racist, and delete them.

Last time I posted about political things, it was about the Zimmerman case, years ago, in the US. I'm sure you've heard. I didn't claim to know the truth, just that I didn't feel there was enough evidence to convict based on what I read and that I believed in the US Justice system of having a high threshold of evidence, and unfortunately that means that some guilty people walk, but as a society, we believe that's better than locking up innocents.

I was yelled at for being a racist and blah blah blah but I said "You can't decide who is guilty/innocent simply based on news articles and we can't convict based on public demand. That is mob rule and I am not in support of that because that doesn't work very well in other countries."

I had 3-4 people delete me, people who I used to talk to IRL who never, ever talked to me again.

Now I keep my mouth shut. It's not worth losing friends. I am sure that some of my friends would delete me if I actually spoke my mind, which is why I don't. Some people you can talk to about certain things, others you can't. I learned my lesson.

Last time I posted about political things, it was about the Zimmerman case, years ago, in the US. I'm sure you've heard. I didn't claim to know the truth, just that I didn't feel there was enough evidence to convict based on what I read and that I believed in the US Justice system of having a high threshold of evidence, and unfortunately that means that some guilty people walk, but as a society, we believe that's better than locking up innocents.

I was yelled at for being a racist and blah blah blah but I said "You can't decide who is guilty/innocent simply based on news articles and we can't convict based on public demand. That is mob rule and I am not in support of that because that doesn't work very well in other countries."

I had 3-4 people delete me, people who I used to talk to IRL who never, ever talked to me again.

Now I keep my mouth shut. It's not worth losing friends. I am sure that some of my friends would delete me if I actually spoke my mind, which is why I don't. Some people you can talk to about certain things, others you can't. I learned my lesson.

It sounds like they were over sensitive. If people say, "maybe" or "looking for more evidence" or whatever, I think...they're open. They're looking for more info.

But when people post things like, "Muslims are terrorists" or "Syrians should stay in their own country and stop ruining ours."...there's no maybe in that. There's no kindness. And I don't want to have people in my life like that. Fortunately, no one I talk to in my real life posts stuff like that....just people from forums I've friends over the years (and it's surprising to me that I've known some of them for decades, skyped etc, and not known them to be like this)...and well, my family posts stuff like that. Which is good, I know what not to talk about the next time we get together lol.

I agree that those things are not good things to say, because they are generalizations. Honestly, I think it comes from a place of absolute fear and maybe some xenophobia rather than racism. I think if they came face to face with a refugee who is suffering with a family, they would change their tune. It's easier to demonize someone when they are a blip on a news screen and everyone is freaking out and scared about being hurt themselves.

My city is a big refugee destination (not Syrian, different smaller country) and we've had thousands and thousands of refugees pour in to the point that we've had to built special centers dedicated JUST to dealing with that population, because they come very poor, and thus, with a lot of health issues, and no one here really speaks their language. It's actually a significant problem here so I understand the burden on the local community. So my concern with refugees is one of that and security risk rather than race.

I hope the higher ups can figure out a solution that will address security issues and strain on local communities (hospital, social workers, homeless resources) while also being able to help those who are not at a risk to us and are really suffering.

Some take to social media because they need validation from others and Facebook is the quickest way to achieve that. It's a self-destructive habit, the people who misuse it. I do post but not every hour or for every little thing and I don't ever post anything from my house, the car I drive or etc...

Yeah....I don't think that way at all. I'm excited for friends when they buy houses, get a new car, get engaged, get married, go on vacation etc. I don't think of it as bragging...I think of it as them sharing their life with others. I like it because then when I see them next, I can fall about different things I saw in their photos, and for me, it makes small talk a lot easier.

Completely off topic but omg we can now "like" off topic posts? And there's an option for "unlike"? I'm so excited! Can't tell you how many times I clicked like by accident.

I agree with faraday, I feel happy for my friends if I see photos from an important life event or vacation photos, I enjoy seeing these photos and think to myself, that's an awesome house! Or those wedding photos look beautiful!

I also enjoy people sharing information on restaurants and bars they've been to, if it looks good, I'll go too. Also like funny posts and news articles.

What I don't enjoy is when people always whinge about things on Facebook. Or if they post their new purchases of high end designer brand products all the time (one of my Facebook friends do).

Baby photos and pets photos I don't mind, but can get a bit much if someone posts it ALL the time.

Completely off topic but omg we can now "like" off topic posts? And there's an option for "unlike"? I'm so excited! Can't tell you how many times I clicked like by accident.

I agree with faraday, I feel happy for my friends if I see photos from an important life event or vacation photos, I enjoy seeing these photos and think to myself, that's an awesome house! Or those wedding photos look beautiful!

I also enjoy people sharing information on restaurants and bars they've been to, if it looks good, I'll go too. Also like funny posts and news articles.

What I don't enjoy is when people always whinge about things on Facebook. Or if they post their new purchases of high end designer brand products all the time (one of my Facebook friends do).

Baby photos and pets photos I don't mind, but can get a bit much if someone posts it ALL the time.

I have one friend that posts a pic of every meal she eats, and that's annoying. And another one that makes 3-5 posts a day thanking God.

Kind of annoying. But whatever, it makes them happy.

Learn to be all that you are, and accept with good grace all that you are not.

I have one friend that posts a pic of every meal she eats, and that's annoying. And another one that makes 3-5 posts a day thanking God.

Kind of annoying. But whatever, it makes them happy.

Learn to be all that you are, and accept with good grace all that you are not.

Oh yea I agree, those are annoying too lol...

Fb for me is a way to pass the time if I'm at the dock or off watch. Ppl brag on fb bc well some ppl just like to brag. Also use it to shop anything from duck decoys to tires for my Ranger. Plus it's a good way to keep up w/ friends while I'm on the boat for a month

Archived