Open Club  ·  45 members

Off Topic

Never understood why Facebook is a place for people to brag

tarrel

When I go to facebook I go to have the same type of discussions I have on here not about what I have. People posting pics of new cars and houses and I thought it was just for chatting with friends about certain topics.

How did it become a place for boasting?

Perhaps that is all they have to talk about; I know quite a few people who can go on and on about trips, etc...

Rather dull lives with nothing at home

I personally use Face book to catch up with friends, see what others are up to, and keep up with the latest trends. Plus, the creator is getting TONS of money just by people signing up.

Perhaps that is all they have to talk about; I know quite a few people who can go on and on about trips, etc...

Rather dull lives with nothing at home

I personally use Face book to catch up with friends, see what others are up to, and keep up with the latest trends. Plus, the creator is getting TONS of money just by people signing up.

Huh. I use the phone and face time (as in getting together).

I stay away from Facebook & Co. I even stay away from the professional networks like LinkedIn. People on there brag too! I always have to smile how people polish up their CV and make it better than it is. Especially if they are people who used to work for me and I know exactly what they did and what their position was.

I don’t have a large circle of friends / acquaintances (you see that’s also the issue with Facebook, everyone is a “friend” now) but I prefer to meet in person. With people who live a bit further away, I will talk on the phone or write e-mails.

I primarily use Facebook to keep in touch with some of my relatives that lives over seas-also to keep up with their lives.

Facebook also helped me to re -established contact with old school friends that I'd lost contact with over the years.Same goes with my grandfather who is in his 70's.He is now able to stay in contact with people he attended grade school with and from the army.

With being said, I personally don't think there's anything wrong with Facebook, it's the people that uses the site.We are able to add and delete who want-also block anyone we wish on our newsfeeds.Then again this just an individual preference.To each to their own

How did it become a place for boasting?

It depends on who you know.

Its strengths are information sharing, community groups, family connections. (I love seeing photos of my nieces and nephews.)

The boastful folks or people obsessive about a cause or prone to rant I stop "following" them. If I feel a need to be in on those things I can always go take a look. Or give them a call.

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

I'm happy for people when they get a new car, or a new house, or meet someone great. I want them to be happy, and have lives they're proud of.

I like Facebook because it helps me keep in touch with family that lives far away...I met a bunch of my cousins children for the first time a few years ago (I hadn't been back in 10 years) and it was neat- I knew their kids names, I knew what they looked like, and what they were into.

It's great for people that I want to have superficial relationships with- friends from high school, family that lives far away (there's a reason we moved lol), clients etc...I'm in a bunch of groups on fb, that I find interesting. It helps me to not feel discouraged...I mean, I live in a very conservative place...and to find like minded people here is hard...it's nice to know that there are people that are science minded, liberal people out there...because you'd never know it reading the comments on news articles! Its also been great for me to use to determine who I want to be friends with....if I meet someone at a party and add them, I can go through their fb posts and if they seem like...we won't be compatible, I don't bother setting up more things to do with them. It's also been great for networking, meeting clients, finding employees etc.

I guess...I don't look at it as people boasting or bragging...I see it as people sharing their lives...and that's what's important to them. When we bought a house, I posted a lot about the process of looking, putting in offers, home inspections...and shared our elation when we finally found our place. It took us 5 months to find home. It was all-consuming...it was our lives there for a while. And people were excited for us. And if they weren't...that's fine...they can unfollow or unfriend me if they feel strongly.

I love when people post about their new builds- it's an exciting time for them I always think it's great when people are achieving their goals....why can't we be happy for people instead of feeling like...their success is a slight to us?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I just am not into Facebook much anymore. It's really the only contact I have with most of my family who are overseas so to that extent it's nice, but I dunno. I just feel it's started to run its course.

I miss the way people used to live before Facebook and Myspace.

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

I'm happy for people when they get a new car, or a new house, or meet someone great. I want them to be happy, and have lives they're proud of.

I like Facebook because it helps me keep in touch with family that lives far away...I met a bunch of my cousins children for the first time a few years ago (I hadn't been back in 10 years) and it was neat- I knew their kids names, I knew what they looked like, and what they were into.

It's great for people that I want to have superficial relationships with- friends from high school, family that lives far away (there's a reason we moved lol), clients etc...I'm in a bunch of groups on fb, that I find interesting. It helps me to not feel discouraged...I mean, I live in a very conservative place...and to find like minded people here is hard...it's nice to know that there are people that are science minded, liberal people out there...because you'd never know it reading the comments on news articles! Its also been great for me to use to determine who I want to be friends with....if I meet someone at a party and add them, I can go through their fb posts and if they seem like...we won't be compatible, I don't bother setting up more things to do with them. It's also been great for networking, meeting clients, finding employees etc.

I guess...I don't look at it as people boasting or bragging...I see it as people sharing their lives...and that's what's important to them. When we bought a house, I posted a lot about the process of looking, putting in offers, home inspections...and shared our elation when we finally found our place. It took us 5 months to find home. It was all-consuming...it was our lives there for a while. And people were excited for us. And if they weren't...that's fine...they can unfollow or unfriend me if they feel strongly.

I love when people post about their new builds- it's an exciting time for them I always think it's great when people are achieving their goals....why can't we be happy for people instead of feeling like...their success is a slight to us?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because some people maybe going through a rough time in life and will become more sad when people are doing well. I think when it comes to a new house or car you share it with your closet friends not the entire facebook list.

Remember 10 years ago if someone was unemployed and broke they didn't have to see their certain people going on vacations and moving into new homes.

But to take a pic of a new house to me is a little over the top. And the person who did this post another comment saying that she was not bragging at all. Do you know why? Because it rubbed some people the wrong way which is why she made that comment.

Because some people maybe going through a rough time in life and will become more sad when people are doing well. I think when it comes to a new house or car you share it with your closet friends not the entire facebook list.

Facebook pictures aren’t a reflection of real life. Have you ever seen pictures on Facebook of the bank foreclosing on the house, because the people could not afford the monthly payments anymore? Ever seen pictures on Facebook of cars being towed away by the lease companies, because the monthly payments were long overdue?

Facebook pictures aren’t a reflection of real life. Have you ever seen pictures on Facebook of the bank foreclosing on the house, because the people could not afford the monthly payments anymore? Ever seen pictures on Facebook of cars being towed away by the lease companies, because the monthly payments were long overdue?

I know that but some people don't realize that and get depressed about their life when they see pics like that. That's why it's just best not to post pics of you and your spouse, new car, or new home because it will rub certain people the wrong way. It will be a reminder to them of what they don;t have.

The phenomenon started in 2008, when an Australian court allowed — no, ordered — a lender who was attempting to foreclose on a home to serve notice on the defaulting borrowers via Facebook, as well as at their Canberra home and a backup physical address. Since then, attorneys in New Zealand, Canada, and, this spring, East Sussex, England, have all authorized mortgage lenders and their attorneys to serve borrowers with foreclosure notices via Facebook, when the borrowers could not otherwise be located.

/

The phenomenon started in 2008, when an Australian court allowed — no, ordered — a lender who was attempting to foreclose on a home to serve notice on the defaulting borrowers via Facebook, as well as at their Canberra home and a backup physical address. Since then, attorneys in New Zealand, Canada, and, this spring, East Sussex, England, have all authorized mortgage lenders and their attorneys to serve borrowers with foreclosure notices via Facebook, when the borrowers could not otherwise be located.

]

Interesting! I did not know that.

I wish I could like this, but I can't (it's in offtopic, no "thanks")

tarrel, there's a lot of things in the world that will make you feel cruddy. The onus is on you (the viewer) to restrict what you want to see or not. Anyone can post anything that they want on FB, and anyone can unfriend or unfollow anyone. Do you know how many people I've unfollowed? A good handful. Not because of their "good news", but they are new moms and I was tired of my news feed being blown up with babies so I couldn't see my OTHER friends' updates so now I've unfollowed them and I may follow them again in a few years if they calm the heck down.

Remember that FB is a reflection of only your good things in your life. No one talks about their health problems, their foreclosures, their marriage issues, etc. I can think of a few people who have "happy happy joy joy" marriages to the public but if you really knew them, you'd know that they have serious problems, like cheating, insecurity, unhappiness, etc.

It's a facade. People have a mix of good and bad things in their lives. On FB, they only post the good. Remind yourself of that and focus on your own.

I also am on Facebook to keep in touch with old friends and meet new people through the Facebook groups I am on (both local) and get information on relevant topics. I do consider it bragging when it reaches a certain point or is overly materialistic (I know that's subjective).

I also think it's unsafe to post about acquiring expensive items (including up close photos of engagement rings, etc). I believe I've posted about 3 milestones in the 7 years I've been on - marriage, parenthood, first day of pre-school and posted one photo that was in the newspaper with a from behind view of my son and me. I don't post photos of my son or let others if I can help it (safety reasons). I have no interest in using Facebook to brag and I have found that certain people who brag a lot or portray a certain type of lifestyle in reality are quite unhappy. Also I have a friend who uses FB to vent about stuff -the world, politics, etc and says it is therapy for her. I find it kind of disturbing.

Yeah, I find it easier to use FB for funny things, or news articles. Some of my friends brag, some people whine, and I'm just over here like "Look at this cat video", lol.

Messaging is the best part of FB, and that's mostly what I use it for. My Aspie friend and I talk over FB and we get into some really vent-y convos about the world and society. But that's best for a private arena (like messages with a friend), not on FB wall.

Archived