Is Morality Dead ?

Michael777

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I truly don't believe the majority of people set out to be destructive and/or cruel towards another person, with that intent. And this is coming from a pessimist. Selfish, sure.

There is nothing loving or even admirable about staying with a person just because they've been a good partner, even though they've long since 'checked out'. How awful would it feel, if you knew that someone was staying with you out of an 'obligation'? Rather than truly loving you and your companionship? That's tremendously unfair to both people.

Call me old fashioned but I believe that commitment means you stick with someone forever unless they do something to deserve you breaking that bond.

So why does almost everyone now believe that it's acceptable to break up with a partner who has only ever offered love and support ?

Hurting someone in that way is to my mind far worse than physical violence and does more damage.

I think when you take vows and promise forever in front of your friends and family (marriage) that both parties should do everything in their power after that to make things work (within reason. If there is abuse or infidelity, I think divorce is acceptable).

I think up until that point of "I do"...anything can happen. It can end at anytime for any reason. In fact, every relationship of mine (except my current one) has ended before marriage...and I'm glad...hindsight says the wouldn't be great husbands.

I truly don't believe the majority of people set out to be destructive and/or cruel towards another person, with that intent. And this is coming from a pessimist. Selfish, sure.

There is nothing loving or even admirable about staying with a person just because they've been a good partner, even though they've long since 'checked out'. How awful would it feel, if you knew that someone was staying with you out of an 'obligation'? Rather than truly loving you and your companionship? That's tremendously unfair to both people.

"Checking out" is a choice. It's a choice to direct your energy away from your partner into other things or other people. If someone stays out of obligation and fails to redirect their energy into their partner, then yeah, that's a lousy thing. If obligation makes you reassess the situation and realize that you've been neglectful and it's time to start putting more energy into your partner, than that's a beautiful thing, and on the other side of it should be a deeper and more fulfilling relationship.

I think it is immoral to break up with someone to whom you have made a commitment unless they also want the break up or they have done something so appalling as to deserve the break up.

That's what the word commitment means to me - a promise you will fulfil.

I think it is immoral to break up with someone to whom you have made a commitment unless they also want the break up or they have done something so appalling as to deserve the break up.

What do you do if the other person does not want to work it out but wants you to stay, but you aren't happy?

So what happened? I'm guessing she left you for another guy with little warning and little explanation other than this is what she wants now?

One can see a relationship ending for a variety of reasons, but surely not if one partner is lovely, loving and supportive. However, if one partner wants to try out the perceived greener grass accross the hill, that is another matter. Usually finding out later that the greener grass is sour, but then too late......

Certainly, no relationship can prosper if there is abuse and violence, disrespect and demeaning. Usually, the "leaver" is the one who perpetrated those actions....and in fact the left person is mighty lucky the "leaver" has upped and gone.

However, I don't think that is the thrust of these posts.

A marriage or commitment requires work. As an older couple I know who have been married about 48 years said to me when I asked about their time together, they replied: "the spade work starts once the honeymoon is over".

Yes, Faraday: I agree fully with you. Much much better not to get into a marriage or commitment and then find that the other does not suit. But you can't tell people that, I mean, "rooommmaaance" infatuation, limerance, so much more fun.

I don't think this happens now any more than it ever did. It just seems like it to you plus the media constantly bombards us with messages about how "cool" and "inevitable" affairs are, which is basically a crock of SH-aving cream.

One thing I think that does happen is we're all pushed so bloody hard with "you have to be in a relationship now, now, now" that people no longer take their time to get to know someone before rushing in. It makes people ignore red flags and put up with things and people they wouldn't if they understood finding someone that is truly compatible with you, who will grow with you, takes time. There is no such thing as insta-relationships. And that's because we have that message jammed down our throats 24/7 that without being a in a relationship, no matter how ***tty or elfed up it may be, we are nothing. And it simply isn't true.

Take your time. Date, get to know people, put a life together that you enjoy for yourself and then share that with someone after they've proven they can be trusted and deserve to be let in. And yes, it takes time to do that just like it takes time to do anything right.

Wait ---- so, absent abuse/violence/etc ---- you can only break up with someone if they agree? Well, that's a fairly unlikely scenario.

Ok, great, people should stay together even when the relationship is deader than a door knocker because the other person does not agree and it doesn't matter a tinkle about our feelings AT ALL. We can be endlessly unhappy until the end of natural life because they are a " good guy" and don't want to break up.

I would stay to honour the commitment unless their behaviour justified otherwise.

And no this is not about me or my own experiences

I see.

I suppose that is where it becomes very very important to know and understand what each person in a relationship believes commitment means.

I would actually see it as a form of withdrawing from the commitment on the part of the one person who chose not to try and work things out if the other said they were not happy and wanted to try to find a way so both could be happy. I think that's sticking a person between a rock and hard place to expect them to stick around even when you are 'absent' in that way emotionally.

But what you said made me think of my grandparents. Leaving each other, barring abuse or something of the sort, wasn't even an option to them. I can see the upsides and the downsides of that kind of commitment.

Michael ---- you cannot live your life to make other people happy at the expense of your own self worth and happiness.

It is wonderful when a relationship supports both people, but when it does not/cannot ---- it should not be sustained merely for the sake of not making one party feel alone.

Under that system the person you dated at 14 you should still be with because you shouldn't hurt them by leaving.

No because I am only talking about committed relationships whether married or otherwise.

And just because you no longer feel as attracted to your partner as previously that doesn't mean that you can't work to build the love.

Attraction is not a constant .

After all how did people in the last few centuries stay together in committed lifelong relationships ?

Of course they were not always in love but they worked on it.

And nine times out of ten the person who betrays their partner and leaves the relationship ends up much worse off and regrets their decision later !

Archived