Lost our cat twice....how did this happen?????

Maemay

Okay, so recently our cat...more kitten went missing exactly 7 days ago. She is only about 7 mos. old and escaped through an open basement window that was left open during the night by accident (no screen). The next morning I had expected she had not gone far, but it was pouring rain and had no luck in our searches for her. The next day I searched again...this time more extensively and a little further figuring she was probably scared and hiding somewhere. No luck, so the next day (day 3) I posted posters around our neighbourhood. Posted online to two sites and filed a report with the local pet shelter. Anyhow, now 7 days later and low and behold our next door neighbour comes over to inquire if the cat they had found was ours. They had found her Sunday night, 12 hours after she had went missing, the next day they took her to the vet to check if she was micro-chipped....she wasn't, we had only gotten her a month and a half ago. They said that they were glad she didnt have a microchip and no one had filed a missing report...YET...not even 24 hours later. They went out and bought 100.00 worth of stuff for my cat and got attached to her quickly. They are willing to give her back if I give them the money spent at the vet of 130.00. Is it just me or does this not seem right? I told them I was not going to take to the vet till after xmas...understandably, she was still a young healthy kitten and not in need of any immediate health care, and with xmas and 3 kids i figured the vet bills could wait till the new year. They seemed to not take this into consideration, and said they would return her as long as they got their money. Like if you wanted a kitten/cat, you can't assume the first lost cat is up for grabs so soon after finding it? Let alone your neighbours cat...I cant afford to pay them the money right now, and politely told them I will let them know asap if we want her back...which I do and I know my kids would be thrilled to find her back home.

Sigh, both sides are wrong. You let your cat get out without having a collar and a microchip on her and not fixed when at seven months, she is already able to go into heat and get pregnant. That part is on you. Your neighbors just assumed since the kitty didn't have a collar or a microchip that she was most likely simply one more of the thousands upon thousands of homeless cats that abound just about anywhere one looks. Still they should have waited to decide kitty was theirs for at least a good solid two to three weeks and made an effort to make sure she wasn't missing from some family's home. That part is on them.

However, the fact is you needed to get your kitty fixed anyways now, not later. Most female cats go into their first heat at six to seven months and then yes, get pregnant. And if you've never had to try and keep a cat in heat inside then let me tell you something--it is not fun. And given that you have three kids chances are better than not that kitty would have found the first open door or window to bolt through with a pack of eager toms waiting just outside. I rescue cats, so I know more about that than I even want to. You would have quickly had a litter on your hands if you had decided to wait until after Christmas to take her to the vet.

So they did just save you having a cat that comes back with a litter of kittens now in tow to be born, so you should just pay them the money. If you don't want to pay them the money then how about you let them keep the cat and you take the kids to your nearest no-kill shelter and get another cat or two? If it were an older cat with a deeply established bond to the family I wouldn't suggest that, but it's a young cat just out of kittenhood. Your kids will be just as happy to go pick out a new kitty to bring home for Christmas, the neighbors will be happy since they get to keep the cat they've gotten attached to and just spent to get fixed which she needed right now anyways, you will be happy since you don't have to shell out the money for the cat (but please do get the kitten or cat you bring home fixed ASAP if they aren't, do not delay that) and everyone wins.

Those are just my thoughts on how I'd handle it.

I know it may come accross harsh but if you can't afford the 130 bucks, maybe you can't afford the cat? And at least you know there is a home for her if you can't. I mean, what would you have done if she got in an accident and needed emergency care at the vet? Say, if you found her injured?

I've almost always had a cat or two, and every single one was either abandoned or the owners decided they couldn't afford them anymore. It's not usually out of any meanness - just simply not taking into consideration the longer term costs and needs of having a pet.

And I don't think it is reasonable to expect a neighbor or anyone really to shoulder the costs, even temporarily, because you can not afford what is part of the cost of having a pet - vet visits and emergency money for when things go wrong, even accidentally.

I agree with above speaker, if you want the cat back however you need to pay them. But since you can't pay, ask them if you can pay them later. Not nice, but you have to be more responsible from now on. Instead of waiting till things go wrong, get them fixed/insured before they do.

That is another good point. Your neighbors rescued your cat before she could get injured or killed. I don't know about your area, but I live out where I get abandoned cats all the time. I give them all about a 12-hour window in which I or someone else on my ranch can find them before they are injured or killed by the coyotes, bobcats, owls, dogs, cars or yes even other cats. And that's not even counting the occasional whack job who enjoys hurting animals. Your kitty is lucky to be alive. It's true cats can survive outdoors, but it's equally true they have an extremely high mortality rate in doing so.

Just another side of the picture for you to consider.

Why on earth are we all so obsessed with fixing or animals?

I'll never get it...all we do by fixing the ones we want, is end any genetic benefits from those lines that have been with humans more than those that are running feral...

Op, if the cat is that young and they want to keep it, I'd let them keep it. The cat has already left on its own once, so chances are, it'll leave again. There'll be another cat in your future...just, not right now...

The cat probably ran away because she was in heat. Fixing a pet will prevent a lot issues. An unfixed pet is more prone to fighting, running away, spraying, reproducing (obviously)... I don't know how this situation is going to turn out, but if you get the cat back or get a new cat you should fix it and microchip it. This will prevent a lot of unnecessary problems. Just be happy the cat didn't die and was found.

I'll never get it...all we do by fixing the ones we want, is end any genetic benefits from those lines that have been with humans more than those that are running feral...

Op, if the cat is that young and they want to keep it, I'd let them keep it. The cat has already left on its own once, so chances are, it'll leave again. There'll be another cat in your future...just, not right now...

You need to get a part time job or volunteer at your local SPCA to see why if you have a cat or dog as a pet that you need to have it fixed. You will not be so worried about the genetic lines you are ending, believe me.

I am with the others here, if you cant afford a $130 vet bill you probably shouldn't have a pet to begin with and count yourself lucky that your kitty made it to a great home.

If you love this cat and really want it, then just pay the money. They were wrong not to take it to a shelter to see if an owner would come for it, but at the same time, they took good care of your cat.

And I agree, if you can't afford the $130 to get her back, then you probably don't have enough money to own a pet in case of other unexpected vet bills for the cat.

I agree with above speaker, if you want the cat back however you need to pay them. But since you can't pay, ask them if you can pay them later. Not nice, but you have to be more responsible from now on. Instead of waiting till things go wrong, get them fixed/insured before they do.

I agree and offer to sign an actual contract promising to pay the money.

Not a cat owner... But my dog is a breed with incredibly high testosterone that he was competing with another non-neutered dog in the house. He was marking (urinating) on expensive furniture and in every single room of the house. Sine he is a link removed, it's considered an undesirable trait for dog shows. Breeding my dog would be pointless.

In this thread, I learned that cats are sexual deviants.

Most parents tighten their wallets around christmas and that does not mean they cant afford a pet. She could have just as easily been planning a future litter and wouldn't have needed the vet visit just yet.

Good luck, I hope things work out for you. I'd pay the money one way or another if you want this kitty back. Sooner than later...or I'd imagine more fees are going to rack up AND consider getting a collar for the little escapee.

...if you can't afford the $130 to get her back, then you probably don't have enough money to own a pet in case of other unexpected vet bills for the cat.

This is a tough issue, in my opinion. Ideally you can afford any unexpected expense that comes with owning a pet. Ideally, every cat or dog born will have a loving home. But when there are more cats and dogs than available well-off homes, is it best to leave animals in crowded shelters (some which may end up needing to euthanize animals)? On the other hand, the OP is not refusing vet care ever, but for non-emergency bills she had a plan for her budget. Maemay, perhaps the cost of any new pet could be part of xmas with 3 kids, and they could learn early the importance of pet ownership.

I'm guessing OP did not get this kitten from a shelter or society, otherwise she would have had tags and/or a chip.

And usually they will help (even insist or roll it in the adoption costs) with pet insurance and affordable spay/neuter programs.

The problem isn't the shelters, but the little private breeding going on.

I know what you mean, JourneyNow. In an ideal world....everyone who got a pet would make sure they could cover all costs prior to taking the animal in. That's not reality though.

And in this situation, like a lot, all in all it is a loving home. But I do really think it's important to make sure you can fully afford an animal before you get one. Otherwise they just end up back where they started, a lot of times. In a shelter, or on the street, or without medical care when they need it.

Depending where you got the kitten OP, you might be able to get some help with this vet bill temporarily? Til after the New Year.

If not, I like Journey Nows idea, if you want to have the cat. Take it out of Christmas budget.

You can also look for vets that will work with you on a budget. My vet will work with people on a budget if they have a huge bill.

But yes, it is a great idea to teach your kids about pet ownership now and what goes into looking after a pet. Many homes are great loving homes but then they realize that pet ownership actually cost quite a bit of money. There is neutering and spaying ,regular yearly needles ,regular yearly health check up and then accidents that happen along the way. All these have to be considered with pet ownership. Pet ownership is a privilege not a right.

If you worked at a rescue shelter or just lived some place like I do where unwanted animals are dumped off on a near-daily basis you would not be asking this question. If someone wants to breed the animal for a specific purpose they can do so no problem. But given how people have changed the landscape of nature, knocking down natural predators who function as a sort of birth control while creating over-inflated populations of domestic animals that then get cast out into the streets whenever the animal is no longer considered cute or needs a vet then I think urging people to get their animals fixed is the better thing to do.

I hate walking into my local pet supply store and seeing the cages full of rescued cats and kittens they're struggling to find homes for. It breaks my heart and it's totally unnecessary. And in the meantime my animal menagerie keeps growing although I've had decent success rehoming most of the animals I rescue. Still, I end up with the older injured animals since no one wants to adopt those and I can't turn them away. So yep, I foot the bill for people who won't just get their animals fixed in the first place. Your all welcome by the way. At least I get the love, nothing can put a price-tag on a doggy smile or a cat's purr or yes, even a ferret's cuddle. (they are astonishingly affectionate as I've just found having rescued my first one of those.)

Because even with the huge push to get pets fixed, there's still a huge amount of kitten born every year. I foster kittens through a no kill shelter...and they are always begging people to foster more kittens because the shelter is full.

Because even with the huge push to get pets fixed, there's still a huge amount of kitten born every year. I foster kittens through a no kill shelter...and they are always begging people to foster more kittens because the shelter is full.

Yes ,in our town the shelter is absolutely bursting to capacity they told me they have no more room whatsoever to take any animal particularly cats.

Any animal that enters the shelter is spayed or neutered right away. They are also microchipped.

Archived