Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

I was really lazy this morning and didn't get much done. But now I am working on my son's room. His older brother left a bunch of stuff when he moved out last fall and we never got around during to finishing up on getting it organized.

My younger son got a great start on it but I am going through and getting rid of his brother's stuff. I am also thinking about painting the room if my son wants.

So at least I got some done today

Today was my younger sons birthday. I went to church this morning and also taught Sunday School. On the way home it occurred to me to check with my older son about groceries he needed in order to make dinner tonight.

Of course he hadn't planned ahead much so I ended up going to the grocery to get the supplies he needed to make a special dinner for mothers day and his brother's birthday. When I called my mom later, she laughed and laughed.

Of course it took him so long to make dinner that we didn't eat until 8:30. But it was really tasty. Korean noodles with beef and Napa cabbage. Yumm!

Thanks Silver

Part of it was different- my ex arranged to have a family birthday party at my in laws' house and I was invited. Part of the deal was for me to pick up my son for the week - so I had to make it for at least a few minutes. I told them I would be late, as the party started at 2.

When I ended up going to get the groceries I really did end up getting there late- over an hour late. Nobody seemed to notice.

They served the cake when I got there and I visited with my former in laws.

My ex and his girlfriend were there of course. They left about 4. I wanted to leave but my son's aunt had gone on a long bike ride for mothers day and she was trying really hard to get there but it was windy yesterday and it slowed her down and wore her out.

We waited until 6 but finally left. That is partly why it was such a late dinner.

But it meant so much to my mother in law that I came to the party. I usually don't because it is too awkward but since it was my son's actual birthday I couldn't really get out of it .

My ex called, as he was concerned about our son's midterm grade report. We strategized on how to handle it and came up with a plan. I am thankful that he is an active parent now (for the most part). He certainly was not when we were married.

A friend of mine had a threat from her ex because of her son's grade report- he threatened to file for full custody because of it. While my ex is self absorbed, I appreciate that he is not reactive threatening or vengeful. My poor friend is a great mom whose son has depression and ADHD. What a jerk of an ex.

How old is your friend's son? Depending upon the age at which a child can decide the husband may have no choice if the boy wants to live with his mother that's where he will live. Some places it's 12 ,some places it's 14 ,some a little older. If the child is old enough for a guardian ad litem maybe she can look into that.

My older son is taking some computer science classes. He told me that all of the stereotypes of nerds apply with the guys in his class. I really had to laugh because my son (just a few points off from having been diagnosed with Asperger) doesn't have the best social skills either... But he said the women in the program are pretty normal.

Younger son had a group project for his high school health class. They had to film a public service announcement for pregnant women. Four girls and my son on the project and they cast my son as the pregnant lady in labor! !! Hahahaa! But he said it went really well and he thinks they got a good grade on it.

One of my best friends is a teacher. She prefers substituting because she likes the excitement of something new each day. The only problem with that is that she really can't support herself very well on such low pay.

And every summer she ends up charging things because of no pay during the summer. I am seriously concerned for her well being because she is feeling the financial pressure but is depressed and unable to do something about it.

The things she loves to teach are not the subjects she is certified to teach but she has no money to go back to school to get certified In those areas. She is such a great teacher and years later students come up to her in the store to tell her proudly what they are doing in their lives - and they thank her for her encouragment.

The psychologist said that he was 2 points away from qualifying after the assessments were given. No matter. She - and neighbors that have children with autism- and family members that have children with autism- all feel that he has Asperger qualities.

The assessment was given when he was in 2nd grade. If he had gone through the assessments again later he probably would have qualified because expectations are higher as a child develops.

He went through a Montessori school program which was not traditional so he never really needed services. I wished that he had qualified for help with his fine and gross motor functions but he also just barely missed qualifying for that too.