I'm marrying a cheater :(

Cilantro

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I agree with Miss Firecracker, I have a feeling you're going to go through with it anyhow.

This really makes me nervous for you...the very title of your thread indicates that you consider what he did as cheating. You may be backpedaling now, but somewhere in your mind, you know that what he did was wrong, and that it indicates a lack of devotion on his part to a woman to whom he's about to pledge his life.

A man who is getting married in a few months simply should NOT be exchanging explicit, "dirty" emails and texts with another woman. The fact that he found it flattering isn't an excuse, and really, only shows a selfishness on his part, i.e., that his need to have his ego stroked came before his faithfulness to his fiancee'.

I hope this works out for you...I would only ask you to not let the cost and planning of the wedding affect your decision. True story, I once knew a couple who were mere weeks away from a $20,000 wedding that her parents were paying for, when she found out he'd been seeing an ex-girlfriend behind her back. He apologized and seemed remorseful, so against the advice of all her friends, she went through with the wedding.

They were divorced before her parents even finished paying off the wedding bills, and she told me that if she had it to do over, she'd have postponed the wedding and gone through counseling with him.

Good luck in your decision...whatever you go with, I hope it works out for you.

I'm not very religious but there is an old joke that really comes to mind here:

Once there was a man whose house was in a flood. He stood on the porch as the waters rose. A boat came by, the driver urged the man to get on board but the man said he was waiting on the Lord to save him. The waters rose, the first floor was flooded and as the man looked out his second story window, another boat came to rescue him. The man turned the boat away, saying he would wait for God to rescue him. Finally he was clinging to the chimney on the roof. A helicopter flew overhead and dropped down a ladder. The man waved it off, saying Jesus would save his life. Finally he was swept away in the waters and drowned. At the pearly gates, he saw God and said, Lord, all my life I did as you asked but when the time came you did not save me. And God said, "I sent you two boats and a helicopter, what else did you want?"

What do you think God is trying to tell you in this situation?

I know this generally isn't a recommended course of action, but have you contacted the ex?

Also, calling the wedding off doesn't mean you can't marry him, it just means you aren't going to marry him while you're in so much pain and not sure where you stand with him. Do you really want to stand up and say the vows to someoen who has hurt you like this now? That will ruin all the memories of this day pretty much forever and will mean you'll start marriage with a streak of poison in the relationship.

I haven't contacted his ex, nor will I. I also won't be contacting the girl from the bar. It's not their fight. They know what they get themselves into, and they have to be responsible for that. They didn't make my fiance do this. He did.

I approached him abuot marital counseling if we do have the wedding. He said he'll do whatever we need to do to get past this. I just hope his words will start holding water.

No, I don't think anyone can change in 2 weeks or 2 months either. Look at your own life. Are you the same person you were 2 months ago? Probably. Probably even the same person 2 years ago. Maybe over 10 years, you can say you have changed. But really, is there any reason to get married right now with a man you know can't change in the next 2 weeks or months?

I've actually changed a lot in the last 4 or 5 years I guess. I've done a lot of growing up.

My sister cheated on her husband before they were married. Somehow they got through it. Her husband knows. He still married her despite that b/c they promised each other to get through it together. Both of them are faithful to each other and have a very happy marriage. People can get throgh it.

I've actually changed a lot in the last 4 or 5 years I guess. I've done a lot of growing up.

My sister cheated on her husband before they were married. Somehow they got through it. Her husband knows. He still married her despite that b/c they promised each other to get through it together. Both of them are faithful to each other and have a very happy marriage. People can get throgh it.

As far as you know, your sister and her husband are happy. Have you ever seen the news when these women disappear and all the relatives say how blissfully happy the couples were? Not saying something like that will happen, of course. Just that people tend to sugar-coat their lives when talking to other people.

Just remember, things are not always as they seem. People are probably looking at you two and thinking what a perfect couple you are.

As far as you know, your sister and her husband are happy. Have you ever seen the news when these women disappear and all the relatives say how blissfully happy the couples were? Not saying something like that will happen, of course. Just that people tend to sugar-coat their lives when talking to other people.

Just remember, things are not always as they seem. People are probably looking at you two and thinking what a perfect couple you are.

I agree - some people are very happy (or seem like it) then you find out they have had some dark secret for years. You just never know. Only the people in a marriage know what is going on.

If you marry him now, he has this in the bag. He knows if you won't dump him NOW while it's very easy, he has a free ticket to do it when you're married.

If a man can get you to the altar after cheating, you are saying ok, I know you are a cheater and I accept that. I deserve no better.

This is exactly what I was thinking of writing, so I'll just go with the quote.......

Archived