Gardasil

EQD

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think there is a good deal of fear on both sides of this argument.

fear of an experimental drug which isnt proven.

and

fear of developing cervical cancer.

Fear makes people consume products, and fear makes people stay away from the unknown.

Because the immune system must be activated before her body is threatened with the virus. It also provides higher antibody levels, the earlier you get the vaccine.

Okay, so they are trying to maximize immunity, fair enough. So why aren't I a candidate for the vaccine? Is it useless because at my age if I haven't built up an immunity by now my body is incapable? Or is it the reason I was given which is that I've likely been exposed to hpv already and no longer need the assistance, I have already built up my own immunity.

So, instead of basing their criteria on age (because they wouldn't give a 46 year old nun the vaccine either) why the heck don't they test people for their immunity first? I'll tell you why, because it's too expensive. And if my daughter is not important enough for them to test first before introducing a new vaccine to see if she even fits the real criteria which is previous exposure, they can keep their shot because they obviously do not care about her as an individual. I will alter my opinion when more results are available and not until then.

The whole thing stinks, people who have had measles do not receive the mmr vaccine as it is unnecessary.

and

Fear makes people consume products, and fear makes people stay away from the unknown.

True, but I would rather take the precautions than worry about extremely rare side effects.

I can tell you that there are many enzymes of the human body require trace amounts of many metals to properly function.

Mercury is also present in much higher doses in a lot of the food people eat, including seafood and high fructose corn syrup. Personally, I avoid those things like the plague, but many people sit around complaining about vaccines while not even worrying about the toxic crap they're consuming every day.

How do we really know how rare they are? the big long term trial has just begun.

Not just with the HPV vaccine's all vaccinations in general. All we hear in the press is the rare deaths and side effects. If I get another form of Cancer from this vaccination I wont blame the doctors; I will have taken it at my own risk.

Hell. everything causes Cancer these days. One day there will be a cure to cure all Cancers; would you take it? I would.

P.S I love your threads lol.

and

Are you more afraid of being bitten by a unicorn or being hit by a car? lol

CC from HPV is much more common than side effects from Gardasil right now. People just play the odds, that's why they get the shot.

I couldn't afford Gardasil and actually heard about it as my pap came through and my Dr. was consoling me saying "we'll just have to keep testing you and hopefully this won't progress." Sweet! Every 6 months I was having acid poured on my cervix to make sure the cells weren't getting more screwy.

I wasn't living in fear of getting HPV/CC until it was right in my face. Since the vaccine is new, I think it should be a choice. If you don't want it, don't get it.

But for children, hep shots, boosters, and all of those serious illness vaccines should be mandatory.

Not everyone contracts that strain, it doesnt always show up on the tests, so if the results are based off of that then gardasil doesnt have solid numbers at all.

You are right. Gardasil only protects against 2 strains (the most common) of cancer-causing HPV, but there are others. It also protects against the 2 most common strains of genital warts.

What this means to me, as a woman, is that every time I have unprotected sex wherein I've already ruled out other STDs (my boyfriend and I have both been tested), I will be wondering if I've picked up one of the strains of HPV that wasn't "covered" by the vaccine.

And what sort of peace of mind is that?

Believe me, after a HUGE HPV scare, I was ready for this vaccine to take away all my fear, but no such luck. (So I didn't get it.) If something sounds too good to be true -- it is.

And yes, viruses mutate easily and quickly. It's their raison d'etre to survive by adaptation to our methods. That's one of the challenges with HIV as well -- treatments that used to work don't.

The FDA has approved many drugs that are widely detrimental and unneccessary to peoples health. Yet they still ended up having commercials made about them, still allowed to be sold to millions. Still pushed and pushed by doctors everywhere

I won't go into my beliefs in depth here, as I believe they are too controversial for this board, but I'll just say that the FDA has blocked medications I need (and that are considered relatively safe and have long histories of safety) from being approved in this country because they couldn't easily be patented, while allowing hasty approval of lucrative drugs. So even though I am not a scientist, I am a patient who has seen the inside story of this, and it's a travesty.

I don't doubt that many good people, and brilliant people working for the good of public health are working on these drugs, too -- but I don't trust Gardasil after my doctor told me how incomplete its protection. And there's a lot else I don't trust. Not being a skeptical patient is dangerous, in my own humble experience, which is vast with the medical profession.

Archived