Aschleigh

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahh, c'mon what's going on here???

Bigger city means more people and more places to go and more ways to get into trouble!

How can anyone not understand this???

it can be the other way around too - teenagers in small cities where there is not much to do often get into a lot of drugs, drinking, sex on weekends. i went to high school in a very large city, and there were always things for us to do on weekends, like concerts, conventions, events, etc.... but talking to a lot of my friends in small towns, they didn't have anything else to do on weekends besides drugs and get pregnant.

Actually that's not true. Look at the oxytocin problems for example in small towns accross america (affecting mainly teenagers but also adults). Big cities typically have more cultural and other activities to prevent teenage boredom.

Ghost -yes, of course my view is my personal opinion. I never tried to state it as fact and my opinion isn't a sweeping negative generalization about an entire group of people with no factual basis. My opinion is simply that I disagree that "most american women (under 30 and I believe not from small towns - your opinion is a moving target!) lack morals and values" And, I can't disprove what you wrote because what you wrote is not only a moving target, you've provided nothing but vague generalities about what you are referring to, so it's impossible to respond -- "all about family" "wholesome?" what do those mean (and those are just two of the subjective/unclear phrases you used).

On the topic of city versus country.

I don't think the size of the community has much of an impact.

I think it has more to do with the economic situation. A small town with poor schools and little work for the kids will have a big drug and possibly crime problem.

Put that into a large city and you have an even bigger drug and crime problem, not to mention prostitution and all the other horrible things that come with a poorly run society.

Cities are by far worse lets not kid ourselves.

That stuff, paying for the meal, opening the door , courting, it's called chiveraly.

Men still make more than women on average, the person with more money paying for the meal seems fair. Men still have more upper body strength, they can get the door. Modern relationships suck often. It would be nice if men were taught how to be chiveralous.

When they do the same job for the same number of hours in most industries women actually earn more.

When they do the same job for the same number of hours in most industries women actually earn more.

Basis please? Definitely not true in the U.S. although not suprisingly there are those who dispute it because of the factors of more women leaving the workplace to work in the home with children, etc. But since you made this statment as fact I'd be interested to know your basis.

Basis please? Definitely not true in the U.S. although not suprisingly there are those who dispute it because of the factors of more women leaving the workplace to work in the home with children, etc. But since you made this statment as fact I'd be interested to know your basis.

Google it.

Lots of people in the US are grossly underpaid. I cannot believe that the minimum wage is so low.

Thanks - that has nothing to do with my question - your basis for claiming that women get paid more. Your response had to do with a different opinion about the minimum wage being too low in your opinion. Since you made the original statement I presumed you had facts to back it up.

Avergae wages increased every year but 1999 (the most recent recession):

Year Period Hourly Rate

Published 1997 Sep $15.09

Published 1998 Dec $15.72

Published 1999 Sep $15.36

Published 2000 Jul $15.80

Published 2001 Jan $16.23

Published 2002 Jul $17.18

Published 2003 Jul $17.75

Published 2004 Jul $18.09

Published 2005 Jun $18.62

Source - Bureau of Labor Statistics

Minimum wage is a non-indicator of wages in general. MW applies only to enttry level jobs, and on the most unskilled will work for MW for very long before being moved up.

BLS data from link removed allows queries with many characteristics. For 2007 avg weekly earnings Men 766, Women 614....

Is that why Men should be expected to pay for dinner?

eries Id: LEU0252881800

Not Seasonally Adjusted

Series title: (unadj)- Median usual weekly earnings (second quartile), Employed full time,

Wage and salary workers, Men

Percent/rates: N/A

Earnings: Median usual weekly earnings - in current dollars (second quartile)

Industry: All Industries

Sex: Men

Race: All Races

Ethnic origin: All Origins

Education: Total

Class of worker: Wage and salary workers, excluding incorporated self employed

Labor force status: Employed full time

Year Qtr1 Qtr2 Qtr3 Qtr4 Annual

2000 641 639 631 652 641

2001 659 664 676 681 670

2002 682 677 671 686 679

2003 695 692 689 704 695

2004 711 714 704 722 713

2005 729 713 716 731 722

2006 744 731 749 749 743

2007 759 763 767 774 766

Series Id: LEU0252882700

Not Seasonally Adjusted

Series title: (unadj)- Median usual weekly earnings (second quartile), Employed full time,

Wage and salary workers, Women

Percent/rates: N/A

Earnings: Median usual weekly earnings - in current dollars (second quartile)

Industry: All Industries

Sex: Women

Race: All Races

Ethnic origin: All Origins

Education: Total

Class of worker: Wage and salary workers, excluding incorporated self employed

Labor force status: Employed full time

Year Qtr1 Qtr2 Qtr3 Qtr4 Annual

2000 489 486 494 503 493

2001 509 511 507 522 512

2002 530 520 527 542 529

2003 551 547 550 561 552

2004 567 572 571 578 573

2005 586 580 585 588 585

2006 600 593 599 609 600

2007 615 607 616 618 614

I've never expected a man to pay for dinner other than if he asks me out on a first date and he chooses the restaurant without asking if I have any budget constraints. Otherwise I expect him to offer to pay on the first date and I expect him to decline my offer to pay.

I don't personally put myself into the contexts of "men over the ages". I am not a man, I am a male human. I am me, and I choose not to be typified by my gender. I like being what one would call chivalrous, I just like being that way. I cry at movies sometimes, and I write poetry. I also know when to stand for myself and my loved one.

My girlfriend and I believe in relationships and that to be in one means something. We both know that a relationship isn't all fields of flowers, it;s understanding, compromise, and supporting each other as well as expressing our love in whatever ways we feel safe and secure in doing.

The trends of the present only hold as much sway as the people allow it. My girlfriend and I refuse to let our identities take on that role. She is her, and I am me, and that's all we care about.

guess im still stuck in the old times, i pay and open doors...to bad women see the nice guy as the flame that will not leave and thus are not excited so go for someone else who has a spark. Think about it...what is a spark...its a flash of light thats bright but only for a split second...so dont ask me why men dont want a relationship rather ask why is it you keep seeking out these men when there are perfectly good ones you choose to avoid...and yes i live in the most superficial of all cities, great la la town.. but the fact of the matter women from my experience seek out the men that can only give them what they want in the short run and complain why they arent getting what the want in the long run.

I've never expected a man to pay for dinner other than if he asks me out on a first date and he chooses the restaurant without asking if I have any budget constraints. Otherwise I expect him to offer to pay on the first date and I expect him to decline my offer to pay.

Well, the first is an easy test. I'd say it is a reasonable expectation for the person who made the date (date - not dinner meeting) should offer to pay.

The second is a bit of complex mind reading and advanced game playing. Are there levels of declining to pay: gently refuse, stuff their own credit card into the waiter's hands, wrestle you to the floor and pin you while shouting "I pay! I pay!" (Personally, I'd 'gently refuse the offer'.)

LOL - when I have offered on a first date where he did the asking, it's been in a polite understated way. I agree that it's not right to do that if I expect the man to say "no" to my offer so I limited that.

However, I once met on a "first meet" through the internet at a popular dessert cafe. The bill was just under $30. The check came and I think he looked at it and I said "oh, let's split it" or words like that (I didn't want to see him again). He said "oh, thanks for treating! I LOVE being pampered." I was a little shocked but I couldn't see myself treating him (since what he said I thought was bizarre and maybe offensive even if he thought he misheard me). I said quietly "no, I meant to split it."

He called again for another date - obviously didn't think he had been rude in the slightest.

• 2 weeks later...
guess im still stuck in the old times, i pay and open doors...to bad women see the nice guy as the flame that will not leave and thus are not excited so go for someone else who has a spark.

Welcome to my world. I'm stuck in this one because it was deeply embedded into my being. Didn't have a male father figure growing up, so it was my mother and her 'nice, being a gentleman' lifestyle that was instilled into my being.

Archived