Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More money for doing OT and development?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared

More money for doing OT and development?

One of my daycare littles is going to need OT and special development support. I will be expected to help with these therapies and have a developmental therapist at my house on occasion. Everyone tells me to ask for more money to care for the child.

I took her to a first assessment today because her mom couldnít due to work. Mom is very upset from the results and will be more upset when she hears from the developmental worker about the full extent of issues. I couldnít tell her the full extent which could include global delay and FAS. That the worker wanted to talk to mom and dad about but let me talk about the need for OT.

As a mom of someone with a disability I feel for her and her child and understand the need for support and but.... I donít want to hit mom with a price hike while she is worried about her child.

Platinum Member
    I think youíll need to look into the laws in your area. I feel that charging someone with a disability/special needs more might fall under discrimination and be illegal? (At least where I live).

Perhaps you could charge for extra services (ie: taking her to doctors appointments)...

I think you should look into the legalities and what your competitors do before making any decisions.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by RedDress
    I think youíll need to look into the laws in your area. I feel that charging someone with a disability/special needs more might fall under discrimination and be illegal? (At least where I live).

Perhaps you could charge for extra services (ie: taking her to doctors appointments)...

I think you should look into the legalities and what your competitors do before making any decisions.
    I wonít be taking her to drs appointments just things I can walk to as I have 5 daycare kids. That will be up to her parents I only took her to the developmental worker because she was at our local community centre today and my other kids could play while she was assessed.

But you are right charging more for daycare because she has a disability is not right but she will be getting far more attention than the other children.

Platinum Member
    Yes. Look into laws and protocols in your area. Where we live it would be more for a child with a disability if a lower staff go child ratio was needed. Also you donít want to divert attention from the other kids or restrict their activities or schedule to accommodate extra help for this child. Youíre being very proactive about this. Good for you !

Platinum Member
    Do you have it in your contract for the other kids to be able to have permission to take them off premises? I know my little niece needed parents to consent for her leaving the property where the day care was.

I would charge more within reason if the disabled child takes more time and attention away from your other daycare children. It's business.

Platinum Member
    The parents should pay for another individual to come in for therapy sessions with the child. I don't think you can charge more just because the child takes more time because then every daycare that had an unruly kid would charge differently per child. I would say if you are required to provide DIFFERENT services then maybe its a consideration but simply talking a little more time is not

If the child can interact with the other kids, i know in my nieces daycare the kids that are more on target are very caring and "help" the other child that is not - they are patient for them when they take longer to finish a task

Of course. They know we go on field trips and to the community centre and walks and parks etc .
    ..:
    Originally Posted by abitbroken
    Do you have it in your contract for the other kids to be able to have permission to take them off premises? I know my little niece needed parents to consent for her leaving the property where the day care was.

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    The parents should pay for another individual to come in for therapy sessions with the child. I don't think you can charge more just because the child takes more time because then every daycare that had an unruly kid would charge differently per child. I would say if you are required to provide DIFFERENT services then maybe its a consideration but simply talking a little more time is not

If the child can interact with the other kids, i know in my nieces daycare the kids that are more on target are very caring and "help" the other child that is not - they are patient for them when they take longer to finish a task
    I would be doing the extra work with the child other than when the developmental worker is there. They donít need to pay her thatís a community service . And I have my full-time employee . However, if I take over complete care of this child sheís responsible for the other four.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    Yes. Look into laws and protocols in your area. Where we live it would be more for a child with a disability if a lower staff go child ratio was needed. Also you donít want to divert attention from the other kids or restrict their activities or schedule to accommodate extra help for this child. Youíre being very proactive about this. Good for you !
    Luckily ,I have another full-time staff but most of the workload of the other four children will fall on her .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice