Huge career change and gamble

RKO

I've worked in IT 11 years, I kinda fell in to this career, I have no real love or passion for it. Growing up,I wanted to be a teacher but due to finances I couldn't afford to go too far to university so stayed local and did IT.

I've been an IT manager in quite a well paid job since 2014. It was really stressful and I've since moved jobs to a better place, less stress, slightly less pay but better prospects etc.

Problem is I'm bored, I don't like computers, I couldn't care less about it. The thought of doing this the rest

Of my life breaks my heart.

Past few months I've been doing a teachers assistant course for children with special needs, a job has come up to be a TA for special needs children in a local school, I've been told if I apply I'm pretty likely to get it due to my qualification I have.

My worry is that it's not permanent, 1 year contract, and just £11k a year, which is a huge drop for me.

I've done budgeting and can get by on this, albeit cutting back massively.

I'm just torn what to do, it is my dream job so to speak but after 12 months I could be left jobless but with a lot more experience from it and more employable. I've only been in my new job 5 weeks, should I give it more time?

I don't know if I should follow my heart now and take this gamble. I'm 35 soon so a career needs to be chosen and stuck with ASAP.

Unfortunately, money is important. If I were you, I would stick with this job for another year but act as if you're on the budget of a teacher. Save everything else and be diligent. You'll understand if you can exist on that amount of money.

Then you'll have lots of savings too. I think it would be worthwhile to pursue teaching after this time period.

Also, special needs education has really high turnover. It's high stress with low appreciation and pay. More mainstream education may be a better first job.

Unfortunately, money is important. If I were you, I would stick with this job for another year but act as if you're on the budget of a teacher. Save everything else and be diligent. You'll understand if you can exist on that amount of money.

Then you'll have lots of savings too. I think it would be worthwhile to pursue teaching after this time period.

Also, special needs education has really high turnover. It's high stress with low appreciation and pay. More mainstream education may be a better first job.

Thanks for your input. Are these stats for U.K.?

No, I wouldn't do it. Sorry, I know it's not the romantic answer. But if it were me, I would volunteer on the side to get your fix.

It may be that you can look into some other careers that you like (not necessarily IT) that can transition from where you are to something else. But I don't recommend basically living in poverty. Even if you can get by, you can't get ahead. Do you plan to marry? Have a family? Save for retirement? I mean, it's just not practical if you want even one of those things.

Think of a job as a means to fund some of those hobbies. After you have some money tucked away, you can always go back to this. But now? Nah.

Can you teach IT classes at a local high school or college? You might have to go back to school to get credentials. I'm in the US don't know how the UK works.

I would not make any impulsive decisions. You've just recently come to the conclusion that it's time to change career paths. Take some time to do it the proper way so you don't end up 35 and broke in addition to hating your job. Do you have debt? Pay it off before changing to a lower paying career. Save up a ton of money so you are more free to do whatever you want.

You're 35 so you understand any good thing takes time. Don't just do something based on feeling. Devise a plan and follow it. What are your goals and what can you do today to start your way towards the goal?

I work in the mental health/educational field, but in the US. However I can't give you job specifics because UK does special education very differently compared to American special education.

Unfortunately I will say that Instructional assistants/teacher aides don't make it financially. The other drawback is the incredibly high burnout in the special Ed field- it is super rare for TAs and even teachers to stay in the field past 5 years (and you thought IT was bad... You are in for a ride). TAs also work 10x harder than the special education teacher during school hours; special ed teachers end up taking their work home on the weekends to plan/write instructional planning records (it's called "IEP" here) for 8+ children.

Yes it is a rewarding profession. People will really look at you like you are freaking Superman and will go out of their way for you if you ask. It's awesome. Also the major bonus of working in the mental health field is that every day is new- the children really make the program. However, not everyone has the patience or personality to work with children with disabilities.

In the long run, being a TA doesn't financially support you. Almost all of the TAs I know have to work a second job just to stay afloat UNLESS they are married to a rich spouse. Just being a TA alone doesn't pay enough to cover the bills.

Personally if I were you, I would:

1. continue to work in IT

2. Enroll at school for part-time.

3. Take 1-2 evening classes and earn the degre in either special education, occupational therapy, or counseling.

4. Switch the job after the degree.

Having TA experience will really give you a leg in to mental health and education. It will look fantastic on a resume. But no, it's not a permanent job.

I hate double posting, but I would like to personally address this:

Also, special needs education has really high turnover. It's high stress with low appreciation and pay.

I wouldn't say special education teachers aren't appreciated. I've known many people praising special education teachers because of how hard they have to work and sometimes offering to help with anything (from discounts to donations, to volunteering in the classroom). However their job is sometimes misunderstood because people really don't know what goes on behind the scenes of lesson planning, paperwork prepping, and behavior managing. I will agree that it is a ton of work involved compared to teaching other fields than what most people are prepared for. Say goodbye to your weekends and majority of personal time during the first year, but I often hear that it gets better the following year (especially if you got the same roaster and already know the individual deficits/have a relationship with the students).

As for turnover, there is a 50/50 chance for ANY teacher to leave their job after 5 years of teaching- not just special ed. It is a bit higher though. I was one of these people who taught English and went into mental health.

I'm another vote for staying put at your job - for now.

I think it's great that you've rediscovered your passion for children and teaching and have been working on a qualification after work. I don't think you should consider yourself stuck in your career, and I absolutely believe it's possible to reinvent yourself and completely change fields at (mostly) any age. However, I wouldn't take such a huge pay cut, and such a low-paying job. I can only assume things are a bit different in the UK as far as costs, taxes, etc because I don't think that I could survive on less than 14,000 USD per year, and if I somehow could, I would be utterly miserable.

Are there any other degrees or qualifications you could work towards that would ensure a higher entry-level salary into your new field? Could you perhaps take a job that combines the skills and experience you've built up in IT with your passion for teaching and children? There are non-profits working on education, large education companies, etc. I agree with the suggestion to volunteer, or perhaps even take a second job, working with children. You could spend 10-15 hours per week working with children, and that might be a good way to satisfy your search for meaning and passion while also keeping yourself on solid financial ground.

I embarked upon a complete career change at 30, and I'd say the advice given by mustlovedogs is spot-on. By all means, have a solid financial plan in place. You need money. Is there an educational requirement for your new career? What is the cost? You will probably need to take a significant pay cut to edge into a brand new field. No big surprise there, but how much of a difference are we looking at? What are your current expenses? Save your money until you have a cushion for the hard times, which may last a couple of years until you are back where you started financially. Find ways to participate in/test the water in your chosen field while you are still employed. Talk to people who are involved in the industry and learn as much as you can. Volunteer in your spare time. When you are financially ready, make your move. but not before then.

Thanks everyone for your advice, to summarise briefly all your questions as follows:

I can't volunteer to do this work in a school, I work full time Monday to Friday during school hours.

Salary wise it's around £11k, almost a half drop for me currently. However the job is in my town, I would t have to travel and looking at my out goings I think I could cover it. Once qualified and with experience you can start to look at roles that can pay £25k

I'm almost half way through my qualification, should be finished by April.

I spoke to the headmaster of the school, he said permanent roles in the school are only for those that have at least 1 years experience, this role I'd be going for is for people looking to start out with no experience like me.

As for my future plans yes I want marriage, kids etc, but at the minute I'm not close to that, I'm single and living at home, although paying my house keep etc.

With my years experience and qualifications I think I'd be able to walk back in to IT after a year if I didn't like it or wasn't kept on. It's just a gamble, as you say it could be stressful but my last job was stressful but at least I'd care about this one.

After speaking to the headteacher (who actually taught me in high school) he remembered me and although couldn't make any promises did say he thinks I'd be ideal for the job and gave me pointers what to put on the form and interview.

Are there any UK posters who could advise and maybe know our infastructure better?

I can't volunteer to do this work in a school, I work full time Monday to Friday during school hours.

You wouldn't necessarily need to volunteer at a school, just a related activity. For example, a social welfare organization for troubled children that provides after-school care.

You wouldn't necessarily need to volunteer at a school, just a related activity. For example, a social welfare organization for troubled children that provides after-school care.

I volunteered at a shelter and read to children and also worked full time -went once a week at 6:30pm

RKO, I am with mustlovedogs and jibralta. I believe that you should at least try and see what happens. As you said you could find a job in IT after a break of one year so I think you should give it a try.

I have a question though. You said you work in IT for 11 years and you get around 20-22K. Isn't it a very low salary for someone with 11 years of experience?Just curious.

RKO, I am with mustlovedogs and jibralta. I believe that you should at least try and see what happens. As you said you could find a job in IT after a break of one year so I think you should give it a try.

I have a question though. You said you work in IT for 11 years and you get around 20-22K. Isn't it a very low salary for someone with 11 years of experience?Just curious.

They advised NOT trying it?

It's probably geographical why it's that rate, I don't live in a city but a rural town. It's actually good pay due to cost of living around here, I more than get by with this salary and able to save each month too.... But it's not making me happy as it should

Archived