Is it trashy to sell jewelry?

MoonRise

So I broke up with my ex about 6 months ago. I can say, definitively, that we will not get back together. So now, I'm pretty broke, and I'm wondering if it would be wrong to sell the a garnet ring he had gotten me a few years ago. I'm never going to wear it, it's just been sitting in a purse in my closet since we broke up. Or would that be trashy? I appreciate the input

So I broke up with my ex about 6 months ago. I can say, definitively, that we will not get back together. So now, I'm pretty broke, and I'm wondering if it would be wrong to sell the a garnet ring he had gotten me a few years ago. I'm never going to wear it, it's just been sitting in a purse in my closet since we broke up. Or would that be trashy? I appreciate the input

no , I have done it ..

Ehhhhhhhh... to me, I do consider it a little bit tacky. "Trashy" is a bit heavier a word than I'd use. You're well within your rights to keep or sell it as it is a gift, and really, selling it is no worse than stashing it away somewhere, but I'm personally of the opinion that big-ticket, relatively easily salvagable / resellable gifts should be returned (think something like a ring or necklace rather than a blender). If my girlfriend were to buy me an expensive watch and we broke up, I wouldn't feel comfortable not giving it back to her.

But, again, it ultimately was a gift and I wouldn't say you're wrong. And if you need the money, I guess you need the money. Far worse ways out there to get it. I think the only time I would put myself out there and say it's wrong is if it were a gift contingent on an agreement, such as an engagement ring or "promise right" (gagging).

Go for it girl, it's not trashy. Like you said, you broke up, you'll never wear it again, and it's worth money so you might as well sell it for some quick cash (which is worth more than a ring from your ex that you'll never wear ever again, obviously). From a practical perspective, it makes perfect sense. I did it once with a Tiffany necklace a very old ex gave me. I kept two necklaces from one of my ex's though because they are pretty and I no longer have an emotional attachment or even memory attached to them.

Used jewelry doesn't bring much money in my experience.

Unless it's Tiffany's then you can still get a fair bit money for it (albeit still heavily discounted).

I don't know where this idea of it being "trashy" come from? It's your belonging and you do what you want with it.

I don't think it's trashy at all. Personally, I would keep it if it had some sentimental value to it (depending on how the relationship was even though it had ended) but that's Just me. Maybe you could pawn it for a loan, and get it back when you can repay it? If you don't care about it very much as it seems, go ahead and sell it. Like I said I don't think it's trashy. If you were to sell it for drugs or something, then yeah. But not if you just need the extra cash to help supplement your income

Archived