What engagement ring do you like?

I think the fact that you're getting such differing opinions proves how much of a personal choice it has to be. For instance, if I was given number 1 I wouldn't be overly pleased. I'd think that my fiance to be had no idea of my personal tastes at all. I much prefer number 3 because I prefer small understated jewellery. I would be happy with number 2 (teehee...I'm a child and 4.

I think the fact that you're getting such differing opinions proves how much of a personal choice it has to be. For instance, if I was given number 1 I wouldn't be overly pleased. I'd think that my fiance to be had no idea of my personal tastes at all. I much prefer number 3 because I prefer small understated jewellery. I would be happy with number 2 (teehee...I'm a child and 4.

I also would not like #1. It's too much.

Honestly though, she will probably be happy with whatever she gets. Unless of course she cares more about the ring than the actual getting engaged, and then that's a whole other issue!

You're right.

zrehman - I remember reading your posts before - it seemed you were going to propose because she broke up with you for not proposig before you left for school? Is that right? I hope you're doing this for the right reasons, and are definitely sure it's what YOU want.

I personally LOVE 2 (is it from Tiffany? it looks a lot like their classic cut) ... but I also think it is almost totally irrelevant. They are all beautiful and you should pick first within your price range, then whichever one you think she would prefer within that range.

And I agree with Parsley that you should be getting engaged for the right reasons.

Number 3 is my favorite... the way the band thins towards the diamond makes the stone look bigger. The only one I don't like is Number 1, there's too much going on for my tastes. But you know her best! Maybe she would like something more elaborate than a solitaire, who knows but her (and you if you ask her...)?

I can't see any pictures either but like so many others have said it is so much down to personal taste.

If you buy the diamonds independently you can then get them set in the style you like. If it turns out she doesn't like the setting it is not that expensive to get it changed.

Also be careful if you are thinking about square cut diamonds. To make that cut work you really need a much better quality diamond than say a brilliant cut. Even with a high quality diamond, a square cut will not "sparkle" as much as one with more facets. Brilliant cut is the more spectacular if you are looking for "flash".

Check out diamond prices on line. There are a number of good sites that give you the prices for "raw" diamonds and this will give you a great idea of what you SHOULD be paying.

Remember a best quality 1 carat diamond will be many times more expensive than a low quality 1 carat diamond. It's probably best to go for something in the mid range as you will get a lot more "bang for buck".

#4 in my experience most women like the round ones. i don't date women that require stuff like this though. marriage or not.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................

I'd say that before you settle on any ring you need to know if your lady is expecting one type of ring in particular. I absolutely love my engagement ring, but then again, I helped to design it and it is a one-of-a-kind ring. When my fiance and I first considered getting married we decided to browse jewelry stores in our area. What I realized when we did that was that so many of the engagement rings out there are virtually identical. Yeah, some may be platinum, others may have a bigger rock, but the overall design could have been purchased anywhere. So when it came near the time for us to actually get serious about getting married I pushed for us to have our rings designed specifically for us by a jeweler whose work we both loved.

The rings you have selected are beautiful. Personally, I like the first one with the sapphire because it is a little bit different than what you might expect. Do sapphires have any particular significance to you? Ultimately, it's your call, but I do hope you "feel out" her opinion on rings--most especially, what specific styles she is fond of-- before you pop the question. Good luck! Getting engaged is so exciting!!!