Loser with a liberal arts degree...

This spring is my final semester in college. All I need are three courses, and I'm finished. I recently discovered this. Some of my credits didn't transfer, initially, from my other college so I thought I would have to repeat them. But after going through some red tape they've been applied to my degree plan. So In the spring I'll be marching...

I'm glad because I am sick and tired of school...

However, my degree is in English(with a minor in Creative writing). I don't want to be a teacher so I'm pretty much screwed.

The only reason I went to college is because they offered an English degree. English is the only subject that I love. I write poetry and short stories as a hobby. Someday I would like to publish a novel.

However, until that happens, there is nothing I can do with this degree and I'm scared.

Plus, I owe around 4,000 dollars in student loans. So I'll probably have to live at home for another year while I pay it off...

Sometimes I think college was a waste of time. Some of my friends are highschool drop outs and have thriving careers already. image removed

Well, atleast it will look good on my resume. image removed

I don't regret getting it. But, it is a bit useless and it cost so much money.

I just needed to vent. Any advice would be helpful though.

What is your question exactly?

And why did you go on a 4 year journey without having a destination in mind? (Im not trying to criticise you. Its what many, if not most, students do afterall)

You might want to talk to some alumni English students. See where they are at and how they used their degrees. You will likely have to get a little creative with a degree like that, but there are awesome careers out there.

Also, make use of your school's career resource center and go talk to some of your profs.

You will find something great, and you won't regret your degree, as long as you did something you loved.

I have a history degree! people always ask if I want to work in a library... ha ha

Have you ever thought about teaching English overseas... NOt the same as teaching at home

at all!!

most people who teach overseas on these programs are recent uni graduates.. most without an Ed. degree..are NOt teachers

There are some programs, for example, the JET programme in Japan ( much better than any other English shcool... as you are placed in public schools)

All you need is a degree... and most people who go on this program are able to pay off all their student loans, travel around asia, adn get a great experience living overseas.

link removed

There are plenty of other options overseas , if you want to pay off your loans, look into teaching in the 'richer' Asian countries like Japan or Korea... and you get to live overseas as well..

My cousin has the same major and minor as you, and was a technical writer for a couple of years. She hated it though, it was just a job to her.

I know you don't want to be a teacher, but you have to do something with that degree. Think of how much you love English - you don't think it'd be nice to spread that love to other people? My cousin didn't want to be a teacher either, but when she finally bit the bullet and did it, she said that "teaching the Bard" made her so incredibly happy. She loves writing and she's WONDERFUL at it, so talking about it all day really brought joy to her life. (She quit teaching full-time last year because she sucks at prioritizing. Now she's teaching three or four classes a day at a private school.)

Hey! I have one of those degrees...only mine's in "General Studies" not English, so it's much less focused. I basically took a bunch of unrelated classes I thought sounded interesting until I racked up enough points to get out.

It prepared me for absolutely nothing career-wise, but I had a blast learning a little bit about a lot of things. My career training came through my extracurricular activities at my college's radio station. Radio's been pretty much the only thing that (career-wise) has been able to hold my attention for more than 2 minutes...and I've been in the biz for 24 years.

So, my point is, why not look to your hobbies -- those things you have a passion for -- to get some ideas about the type of work you want to do.

If you like to travel that idea of teaching English overseas could work out very well for you. I used to chat with a guy who taught English in Japan. He said he taught in the states and didn't particularly like it, but he liked teaching in Japan because of the other opportunities it gave him in terms of travel and learning about & living in a different culture.

What is your question exactly?

And why did you go on a 4 year journey without having a destination in mind? (Im not trying to criticise you. Its what many, if not most, students do afterall)

You might want to talk to some alumni English students. See where they are at and how they used their degrees. You will likely have to get a little creative with a degree like that, but there are awesome careers out there.

Also, make use of your school's career resource center and go talk to some of your profs.

You will find something great, and you won't regret your degree, as long as you did something you loved.

I really didn't have a question, it was more of a vent...

And, unfortunately, not everyone has the luxury of knowing exactly what they want to do after college. I went to college because I wanted the degree more than anything...At one point I could not find a job so I decided to go back.

My liberal arts degree has helped me to be a better writer. And I've learned alot about the classics. College was more about personal growth for me...

Now I need a good job...

Oh well.

fox..I'm 29... with a liberal arts degree. and I still dont' know what I want to do when I grow up! ...Most of my friends have an arts degree and have changed their mind along the way... What I wanted to do at 18, 23, 25, and 29 are all very different!

I don't think a uni degree should be about 'what-job-I-will-get" but about learning... I know that sounds like a load of hogwash now... but it is..

FoxLocke - I went for an English major too and changed mid-stream to journalism. I thought I could actually get a job writing if I did that (I didn't finish that either but that's beside the point I'm trying to make...)

OK - I had a bunch of other stuff written here but none of it was relevant. Suffice it to say, I can relate - except I feel lke MORE of a loser cos I never even finished. I do relate to your passion for writing and I'm glad you're finishing.

A friend of mine got a job at a publishing company with her degree in English. I think she's a proofreader presently but has other aspirations for that ever elusive "someday." So jobs ARE out there.

I guess it comes down to what you really want to do, maybe the top-3 things, even if these things are outside of the field in which you got your degree. Your degree does not neither define you nor your capabilities!

Think about it realistically too. What do you really want to do and then what can you do to pay the bills if need be?

For example, one of my best friends went to school for exercise physiology, got a master's actually. He couldn't find a job in that field but he found a job in pharmaceutical sales. While he has doing that job, he got a part-time job teaching an exercsise physiology class at a local junior college. So he is able to pay the bills in one sense, yet find fulfillment in his chosen field in another, albeit part-time, sense.

Perhaps this could be a path for you. Visit your school's career center, see what jobs are out there, maybe there will be jobs closely related ot your degree, maybe not. At any rate, focus on the basics of getting an income in whatever way you can and feel maybe not passionate about but feel good about. Then work in your passions through part-time/freelance opportunities, even if you have to volunteer your services at first to get your foot in the door and build a rapport.

Easier said than done I know. And you are not a loser. That's simply ridiculous.

Hi Foxlocke. It sounds like you and I might share some of the same passions. I have an Associates of Arts and am currently completing a BA in Communication Studies, with an emphasis in Journalism. My minor is also Creative Writing. I was very torn for a while whether to pursue a BA in English or Journalism. I chose Journalism because I felt it would give me the most bang for my buck. After all, I read tons of literature in my free time and I don't necessarily need a professor to teach me how to write well creatively. I decided that having a degree in Journalism would broaden my horizons and help my own personal growth as it exercised my writing skills in a different direction.

My long term goals are to share my passions with others and ultimately to work for myself. I love to travel (I've spent four years in Europe), and I love to write. Right now I'm in the process of building my own website/blog where I can write about my interests and make a little side money from it. There are many successful full-time bloggers out there who pull in decent above-average incomes because they've dedicated themselves to writing, and their passion produces quality articles.

You need to explore your own passions and figure out how you can flourish with them. Don't get locked in a mindset that you're a loser or that you need to follow a certain path. Your heart will never steer you wrong.

My bf is an English major as well, and he currently works as a proofreader. He hates it because his true passion in writing is composing music. Many years ago he was sitting in high school without a clue what he wanted to do with his life. His guidance counselor suggested an English degree and he chose it because he thought it might help him develop better lyrics. Obviously, he's not teacher material, nor a proofreader. He's a writer as a musician. He will never be fulfilled unless he is expressing himself in some way through his music.

The bottom line is, stop criticising yourself and instead figure out where your true passions and talents are. Do them well and you will build a fulfilling career for yourself. Don't be afraid to go off the trail and take risks, and never ever be afraid of failure. Case in point, do you know how many small companies Bill Gates had that were total flops before he established Microsoft? But he didn't let failure discourage him. He kept trying something different and new until he finally found something that worked.

I can't stress it enough. Never be afraid of failure. Take those risks and embrace your failures, because they will ultimately lead to your true calling.

First of all, everyone, thanks for the great advice...

The thread title was more of a joke than anything....lol. Me and some of my friends, who are also in the same predicament, refer to ourselves as "The losers with liberal arts degrees society." It was an inside joke...heh.

Anyway, I am glad I am getting my degree for the simple fact that it has helped me grow as a person. I was introduced to so much, and I hold a great deal of gratitude to the professors who encouraged me along the way...

I really just want a job that will support me while I pursue my writing passion.

Thanks for all of the helpful advice.

Well, I write alot of poetry(I love Haiku and sonnets), short stories, and fan fiction. I'm also in the process of penning my own fantasy trilogy(it is an extremely long story. Hope to have it published someday).

As far as professional writing is concerned I've written for my school newspaper; and, I've done some work as an assistant copy editor for a weekly in my city(My boss let me write a few articles from time to time).

If I had to choose a journalism career I would like to write film reviews.

The guy I'm going out with tells me I should go the journalistic route. I'm considering it, but I need another job that can pay the bills. We all can't be Carrie Bradshaw!

Also, I live in the 4th largest city in the states...Houston!

yeh Foxlocke - that's the trouble with writing journalistically, unless you ARE at the KAtie Couric level. You don't get paid JACK.

I write for a local newspaper but more for fun than pay. But also, I don't have a creative bone in my body so the "here's what happened" route was MUCH easier for me........

Don't ever believe someone whom says "Liberal Arts" will get you nowhere...because when it comes down to it, that is far from the truth.

Many companies really look for liberal arts degrees, as it shows your skills not only with writing, and thinking, but your general communication skills and well roundedness.

It's also a great stepping stone to other programs - graduate and professional - if and when you feel like returning to school.

Education is NEVER useless. At least not as long as you applied yourself to it and really embraced the experience.

That being said, very few degrees in ANYTHING will get you anywhere unless you have the personality, and ability, required....and that goes for sciences as well. There are many out there with Ph.Ds and Doctorates struggling to find something as there is more to it than the education...once you get the interview, there needs to be something else that gets you the job.

Don't be hard on yourself for not knowing what you want to do yet...you have a lifetime to figure it out, and it is VERY hard to know when you are just coming out of school and have no experience yet...that does not mean you won't find it, or it may mean you may decide in a few years to go back to school (as I did)...just embrace the opportunity to get out in that 'real world' and figure it out in time

Just a note....if you DO love writing, being a prof is actually great for that if you chose that, as in the academia world they are very supportive of research/writing of their faculty. I guess I am just trying to say...don't shut the door on opportunities without knowing all the details.

Ah FoxLocke, I can feel your pain. I am finishing up a masters degree and there are no local jobs in my field. Yup, 7 years of university and I am working in retail. Not exactly where I envisioned myself!

Like everyone else here, I do agree that education is never a waste. And the fact that you have a degree will always look good on your resume.

Good luck and best wishes!

fox, maybe you can go back to school for a master's in something?? i know, you probably didn't want to hear that-- lol sorry. it's always an option. or it's something you can do while you're working a full-time job.

don't worry about the loans-- 4K is nothing compared to what some other people owe.

why don't you want to teach? not that i'm trying to push you, but it's a great job to have if you want to write (summers off!).

i agree with what another poster said-- go to the career center at your school and ASK FOR THEIR HELP! you're paying for it, might as well milk them for all they got.