Best Break-Up Song Ever...

4 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

Lol. Don't think that's the best way to be starting a marriage. Kind of like people seeing Romeo and Juliet as romantic when the play is a tragedy, the kids only had two conversations with each other so didn't know each other, and they both end up dead. Hope I don't find a romance like that.

Right?  And even the way people think of Shakespeare in general.  A lot of people don't realize he was like the John Waters of his time.  He was writing things that were intentionally vulgar (at least vulgar for that era.) 

After I went to sort through my Grandma’s belongings in her humble, tiny and still overly warm house, with my new born baby wiggling at my chest, I played this all the way on the drive back home. I fought back tears the whole time. 

I remember my baby girl sitting content and unaware in the car seat, and I remember thinking about the Circle of Life, and why did she have to die? And all the things I wanted to say to her, and all the times I should have been round more, should have hugged her more, should have helped her more. I was too wrapped up as a new Mum with my 3 young babies. I often lament if she had been alive now, now that they are older and I’m not in such a happy but tired fog, we would have been over there every week at least. 

It’s a little abstract but; “I don’t live here anymore” kind of describes loss and death to me. One day, they aren’t there in that same chair, their mundane routines that once seemed so important, are gone to dust. It’s not all bad, there is beauty and wisdom and discovery out of suffering sometimes. 

But, I can’t really play this tune anymore without getting a lump in my throat. It also feels like moving on, the song, at the same time. Because that’s what the living have to do. 

I’d only listen to it by myself. 

I’m sorry for your loss Rainbow! 

x

8 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

@Wise and @Jauntydo you remember this from The Guess Who?  Oh man, now that's painful.

I love 60's music! 

Fantastic! Me too.  When I was a kid we even cut out 45 records from the back of cereal boxes-more in the 70s but we first listened to the Jackson Five ABC that way!

——

Beating like a heart 
I'm gonna walk through every doorway, I can't stop 
I need some time, I need control, I need your love 
I wanna find out everything I need to know

I'm gonna say everything that there is to say 
Although you've taken everything I need away 
I'm gonna make it to the place I need to go 
We're all just walkin' through this darkness on our own

——-

- ‘I Don’t Live Here Anymore’

The War On Drugs

x

Never had a romantic beak up before, never been through it, but I’ve been through plenty of friendship break ups, and I turn to this one for most of them:

——-

Our unsleepable friend gets the message on an ill-wind 
"All your friends and your foes 
Would rather die than have to touch you" 
To say the least TO: Oh, truly disappointed 
Truly, truly, truly

Drank too much and then said too much 
And there's nowhere to go but Down 
Young boy, I wanna help you 
See these lines? Truly disappointed 
Truly, truly, truly

Don't talk to me, no 
About people who are "nice" 
'Cause I have spent m ywhole life 
In ruins 
Because of people who were "nice" 
Oh, this world may lack Style, I know 
Each bud must blossom and grow

Young girl, one day you will be old 
But the thing is I love you now 
This is the last song I will ever sing 
No, I've changed my mind again

Goodnight and thank you!

——-

12 hours ago, Cynder said:

I have a friend who's a wedding DJ.  He told me a lot of people use this (or the Whitney Houston cover) as their wedding song.  Apparently not many people pay attention to the lyrics, lol. 

Kind of like when the people who run Independence Day ("4th of July") fireworks shows in the US use "Independence Day" by Martina McBride and "Born in the USA" by Bruce Springsteen in the show.  Martina's song is about an abused wife who burns down the family home with her abusive husband inside and Bruce's song is about the horrors of war.  People do NOT listen to lyrics, apparently!

Another favorite is when Disney used "Semi-Charmed Life" for one of their kids movies.  That song is about crystal meth and oral sex.  Not exactly kid appropriate!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheCrow said:

And heaven rest her soul..........

@TheCrow, thank you for linking this; I got chills listening, music is so powerful!

This thread turned into a lot more than I thought it would, I hope it will continue.

Not just breakup songs but a song in your heart that day, that moment or simply that you like.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

@TheCrow, thank you for linking this; I got chills listening, music is so powerful!

This thread turned into a lot more than I thought it would, I hope it will continue.

Not just breakup songs but a song in your heart that day, that moment or simply that you like.

Yes. RIP.  Just the best. Norah Jones -who I saw live pre-fame - also has a number of songs perfect for that sort of mood.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Fantastic! Me too.  When I was a kid we even cut out 45 records from the back of cereal boxes-more in the 70s but we first listened to the Jackson Five ABC that way!

Absolutely.  

Here's a good one to get your spirits up about the whole mess:

• Like 1

Not a breakup song, but hits close to my heart.  Love the video too.

"Jump in, let's go
Lay back, enjoy the show
Everybody gets high, everybody gets low
These are the days when anything goes...

Every day is a winding road
I get a little bit closer
Every day is a faded sign
I get a little bit closer to feeling fine"

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jaunty said:

Here's a good one to get your spirits up about the whole mess:

I almost posted that one myself. Why should all the songs be sad and depressing? Why not embrace the anger and insanity you feel after a breakup? Maybe you just want to take a match to the whole thing and watch it burn. Speaking of which...

• Like 1