Am I being unreasonable?

I’m 23 and I’m running my first ever half marathon at the end of the month. It’s a big deal for me as I never thought I could run such a long distance, and I’m proud of the training I’ve achieved. I’ve been with my boyfriend 3 years, and he knows I’d love him to come watch and cheer me on. However, my race clashes with the final game of the premier league, and he’s agreed to watch the game in London with his friends (he planned this before he knew about my race). I finish running around 12:30 and he’s agreed to watch the whole thing. But it’s the part afterwards that means the most - I want to celebrate with the people I love and get a celebratory drink But he is insisting that he needs to ‘dash’ as soon as I cross the finish line because he needs to get across London to get a good space at the pub and have pre drinks. Bear in mind that the football doesn’t start until 4pm. My feelings are hurt, because I don’t want to cross that finish line of my first ever race, only to see him checking his watch to see how soon he can get away to go and drink with his mates. This race means so much to me, but he’s insisting he has to leave ASAP to ‘get to the pub on time’. He says he might not be let in if he’s too late but I don’t know how much I believe this. Anyway - am I right to be upset by this? He did book the pub before he was aware of my race, but surely he can sacrifice one hour of pres with his mates to go for a drink with his girlfriend who’s just run 13 miles? He’ll still be about to watch the whole game, even if he leaves at 2 … what do you guys think?

Bottom line - Is it really bratty of me that I don’t really want him there at all if he’s just gonna be clock-watching to see how long he’s got before he can go and sit in the pub with his mates? It’s not like the football starts at 2pm, he’s got ages, but he still wants to get away ASAP …

Well take into account that he is willing to be there.

I get where you are coming from wanting to spend some celebratory time with your loved ones, but on the other hand he has been planning this and getting reservations to a rather important social event. I think the important factor to consider is his travel time, from some rough number it could take him 2 hours by underground not counting for delays. If he left at 2 he could be running late, especially with everyone else rushing off to watch football.

Just enjoy the fact that he wants to be there, and is willing to do so.

29 minutes ago, Luna Lover 28 said:

I’m 23 and I’m running my first ever half marathon at the end of the month. It’s a big deal for me as I never thought I could run such a long distance, and I’m proud of the training I’ve achieved. I’ve been with my boyfriend 3 years, and he knows I’d love him to come watch and cheer me on. However, my race clashes with the final game of the premier league, and he’s agreed to watch the game in London with his friends (he planned this before he knew about my race). I finish running around 12:30 and he’s agreed to watch the whole thing. But it’s the part afterwards that means the most - I want to celebrate with the people I love and get a celebratory drink But he is insisting that he needs to ‘dash’ as soon as I cross the finish line because he needs to get across London to get a good space at the pub and have pre drinks. Bear in mind that the football doesn’t start until 4pm. My feelings are hurt, because I don’t want to cross that finish line of my first ever race, only to see him checking his watch to see how soon he can get away to go and drink with his mates. This race means so much to me, but he’s insisting he has to leave ASAP to ‘get to the pub on time’. He says he might not be let in if he’s too late but I don’t know how much I believe this. Anyway - am I right to be upset by this? He did book the pub before he was aware of my race, but surely he can sacrifice one hour of pres with his mates to go for a drink with his girlfriend who’s just run 13 miles? He’ll still be about to watch the whole game, even if he leaves at 2 … what do you guys think?

Bottom line - Is it really bratty of me that I don’t really want him there at all if he’s just gonna be clock-watching to see how long he’s got before he can go and sit in the pub with his mates? It’s not like the football starts at 2pm, he’s got ages, but he still wants to get away ASAP …

In all likelihood, he wants to be with you on the day as much as he wants to be with his friends. He has booked all of this before he knew about your race, and concentrate on this fact here. He probably was really looking forward to drinks with his friends, maybe he hadn’t seen them in a while, maybe he wants to spend time with them, maybe the soccer is a ritual for them. It’s just crappy timing that they both fall on the same day . Me personally, yes I’d be annoyed but glad that he was able to see me cross the line. Could you join him with his friends later on? Best of both worlds?

1 hour ago, Luna Lover 28 said:

he planned this before he knew about my race. He did book the pub before he was aware of my race, but surely he can sacrifice one hour 

Sorry this is happening, but it seems like he's trying to accommodate you and keep his prior commitments, which shows integrity. He shouldn't blow off his friends for last minute events. Try to compromise rather than force anything.

Well,  he did make prior plans before knowing about your marathon.  I'd take a rain check if I were you.  An early congratulations, btw!  I I were you,  I'd cross the finish line,  eat well,  shower,  crash and take a glorious, long, very quiet nap.  After you're well rested and recovered,  celebrate some other time with your boyfriend.  Perhaps go out for a meal or do something special like that at a later date. 

• Like 1

Congrats to you!  🙂 

Yeah, it's a challenge for both to be on the same day.  But, he's agreed to come be there for you during this event! you got that much 😉 .  Good on him for that.

But, I guess you know the challenge also involved with him wanting to get over to the other side to get a decent reserved spot with his friends for the game.

I guess, all you can do is accept this.  Do what YOU must do after your race and then, as mentioned, can you meet up with them later?  or you just gonna hang out & chill with your friends after the race & go home?

You want to celebrate? celebrate with other runners, or friends, family. Been with my husband for over 30 years, and we have celebrated separately, attended weddings/services/parties/events without each other due to other plans, him needing to work, or simply don't want to go. There's always a need for balance/compromise if you are in it for the long haul. 

Plus we all know what men are like when it comes to footie. They can be hit by a mac truck and still try to make it to watch a game. 

Final game of Premier League when maybe the title is decided between Arsenal and Manchester City. Vs your half marathon where you just participate. And he would still be there when you cross finish line but would just have to leave later because he needs to go to game. Yes, you are being unreasonable. Very much.