Sex on a first date?

• 4 weeks later...

I would say it depends on the date.  If I'm getting nothing more from her than sexual attraction, and the opportunity arises, then hell yeah I'll enjoy that night.  But if I'm connecting with the person in deeper ways, intellectually and emotionally, then I'd rather wait.

But also, a first date with anyone only gives you the tiniest glimpse of who they actually are.  Let's not forget how many go all the way to marriage only to find it just doesn't work.  I also think that IF it happens on a first date, anyone can start immediately questioning if that was the only goal in the first place.  And the only way to figure that out is through further dating.  If it happens on the first date, but you decide not to on the second, that will tell you a lot.  How they react initially and in the upcoming days.  You'll get a lot more of their true character and what they want out of dating.

Sometimes two people date and the sexual attraction is over the moon and so you do it, nothing wrong with that.  But other times it's all one of the two wanted anyway, so you have to use your head and figure that out after if you're looking for more.

And sometimes a lay is all both parties wanted, and may continue to 'date' in that way.  It's very subjective and situation dependent.

Hmmm.... I'm trying to think if I've ever done it on an actual first date. I think so but not very often. I'm not opposed to it but I guess then you have to keep in mind it might just end up being a one night stand. So if you do it you need to keep your expectations low.

It all depends on what you're both looking for and what you're both comfortable with.

Some people find sex right away okay, and end up getting married down the road.

Other people would find it far too rushed and wouldn't be comfortable with it.

Some people are only looking for something short term and don't mind a "hook up".

It truly is individual preference.

The problem comes in if you think you're on the same page as someone else with sex, and what it means, or doesn't mean, and it turns out that you're not actually on the same page.

• Like 1