ANXIETY about being FIRED.

I have this intense anxiety about me being fired and it's absolutely ripping me apart. 

My company is currently taking on new employees after departing from a partnership. The new employees aren't even in my same department but I'm TERRIFIED of being let go. 

Key info

- I'm the only employee in my field currently. Meaning there's no one at my workplace with the same job title BUT I'm also the only one in the company with my job title. 

- The new positions aren't in my same department and wont impact my job whatsoever. They're hiring mental health professionals and I fall under administrative work and supervisor management. 

- I run an office 40 hours a week. My supervisor comes by maybe 5 hrs tops and only on the weekends when she needs a quiet place to work meaning my position is definitely needed.

- I act as a placeholder when we're unable to get shift coverage for one of our lower level jobs like maintenance and security 

- No one has even insinuated that I'd be fired or anything of that nature. Infact my boss told me that these changes will not impact our department in any way but I'm scared. 

I just have this anxiety about being fired. I know if I'm fired my life will be completely ripped apart, I get anxious and then I start spiraling. If I were fired I'd have to go back into an abusive household and possibly get rid of my dog. 

This job literally saved my life. I was able to have my own home and escape an abusive household. It was truly a blessing and I'm terrified that I'll lose it. My life has not been easy and this solved so many issues in my life. 

How do I stop being scared?

I doubt the fact that the company is hiring people to do completely different jobs means they are looking to fire you. But logically you know that.

Are you currently receiving any professional help to deal with your previous abusive relationship?

You're catastrophizing which is a symptom of extreme anxiety. And that would be completely understandable as a survivor of abuse.

There are ways to receive help if cost is an issue. There are online services, free groups, hotlines, etc. that are very low cost or free. So don't let money keep you from getting help.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

Have you thought about exploring the job market and updating your resume? Sometimes being proactive helps to soothe anxiety.

Exactly this!

Start working on plan B. Having a plan B in life (in general not just your job situation) makes you feel more secure and less anxious.

Have a plan B as people mentioned. Can you talk with your supervisor about this? Like literally ask if they know anything. My current manager confirmed to me during a previous lay-off period that I won't be made redundant. They did this to keep me. And yet, I've been job searching since then for plan b and for different reasons.

Have a talk, at least you may get a reality check. And prep your resume. It's okay and it'll be okay. I promise it won't be the worse case scenario if you have a talk and have some plan b preparations. Deep breaths. Please consider venting to a friend or therapist.

Have you always dealt with a lot of anxiety? 

Have you ever talked to a therapist about your past trauma?

When I feel anxious about something, I think about what would I do if the worst happened.  Walking through things in my mind like, "I will collect unemployment, I will reduce my luxury expenses, I will start saving a little more now, just in case I need it, I'll update my resume and start looking on line."

The other thing I do if I am not feeling good mentally, look at your health. Are eating, sleeping, drinking well? Are you making your health a priority? keeping to your personal goals with exercise and breaks?

Health is the new wealth. Don't discount the impact physicality can have on your mentality.

If you do lose your job, it doesn't mean you will lose your life. It could be the best thing in the long run. 

Try to remember, you made it this far. You can and will face whatever happens.  Maybe you're discovering its time to adress your past and move to the next level in your healing. 

There is a Yiddish saying, "when you must, you can"

hang in there! 

• Like 1

I can't tell you whether you'll be fired or not, but judging from the "key info" you posted, I would say: all signs point to NO! It's always good to have a plan B just in case, but worrying this much about something that, based on what you say, is not very likely to happen, is IMO a sign of high anxiety in general. I would look for help about your anxiety.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, rchubn said:

How do I stop being scared?

Just ask if there is anything they would like to see more initiative on, or less of.  Opportunities down the pipeline.  Or just, are you meeting expectations, and what would they like to see to exceed them.

If you can ask, for someone to be your mentor; can be related industry, and does not have to be in the same company.

22 hours ago, rchubn said:

I just have this anxiety about being fired. I know if I'm fired my life will be completely ripped apart, I get anxious and then I start spiraling. If I were fired I'd have to go back into an abusive household and possibly get rid of my dog. 

I hear. You do understand that you keep inflicting such an event upon yourself over and over again as a form of self torture, correct?

This isn't to invalidate your anxiety or your fears, but rather, to suggest that you can experiment with the concept of 'power over choice' whenever you start pulling mind drills into horrific outcomes.

In short, it's a stop gap measure to delay a big spin. You can stop for a few seconds and ask yourself whether at THIS moment you want to drill into the direction of causing yourself pain, or whether you'll choose instead to focus on other matters until you can explore your fears productively in the company of a counsellor, therapist, clergy, or someone you trust to not be dismissive with your concerns.

You might also question what weighs more: fears of a job change, or fears of the abusive household? Consider that in your rush to panic, you're overlooking infinite possibilities in between.

For instance, collecting unemployment until you find an even BETTER job, or using a workforce development grant for unemployed people to study something you'd really love to learn.

There is just so much real estate between losing a job versus total destruction of independence.

Learn whether your company offers an EAP (Employee Assistance Program) of 3 or more free and confidential sessions with a provider of your choice. Compare the list of local providers with a list from your insurance. Circle the providers that are on both lists. This way, if you want to continue working with the same provider after your free sessions, you can negotiate with the provider privately about reducing future co-pays if you'll commit to 'x' sessions covered by your insurance.

Head high, and write more if it helps. We're with you, honey.

Your anxiety is probably not being generated by the fear of getting fired but is more of a survival mechanism. People who have maladaptive behavioral patterns with come up with excuses to justify the behavior.

The only way to deal the anxiety disorder is to try to stay in the present moment. Nobody can be prepared for every single situation, in fact that is exhausting and a waste of energy. Even the biggest companies with the smartest people have to consistently work to ensure that they are succeeding and adapting when things start to fail.

If you have 6 months of saving, that will probably quell some of your fears.