Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Family and Life Updates

boltnrun

I miss my friends but the introvert in me is glad I have my alone time back.  I did some errands early yesterday morning, got a latte and some pastries at one of my favorite bakery/coffee houses, then spent the rest of the day doing a couple of chores and watching racing and NFL football.

Oh!  And I talked my manager into allowing me to work in the office only two days a week instead of three.   A big time win.

Forgot to mention I bought a car too.  😁

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Congrats on getting to work from home more and the car! 

Thanks!

The car happened sooner than I thought. I had intended to buy this weekend but it turned out to be last weekend. And I had a 1:1 with my manager and figured why not ask? The worst he could say is no. But he said it was fine unless we had an important meeting or some honcho visiting and if so he would let me know. 

It's a relief to have a car I can rely on and that has a warranty.

My brother flew out of state to visit a "friend" for a few days. He chose a return flight on Sunday that involved FOUR layovers. Knowing him he chose it because it was the cheapest. He complained to me over text pretty much the entire trip and I wanted to say "how about spending a few more $ and book a direct flight or at least a flight with fewer than four layovers next time?" But I didn't. He ended up with multiple delays and didn't get home until almost 2:00 am. Traveled something like 13 hours when a direct flight would have been about five hours.

We are traveling to a destination next spring. I most definitely will NOT be flying with him. I will book my own flights, TYVM. No way will I tolerate four layovers. I joked that I will be sitting in the hotel relaxing for HOURS while he's still flying because he wanted to save $100 😄

31 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Oh my lawd, there ain’t no way. I would never do four layovers . Not even to save $1000. My sanity is worth more . I am with you there . 

I am actually going to pay about $1,000 for the flight because I will NOT be crammed into a middle seat between two possibly infectious individuals (yes, I still worry about Covid) so I'm flying premium economy or business class plus I want a direct flight or at the most ONE stop. And I won't fly out of the airport near my brother as the flight options are extremely limited.

Thanks to my brother I will not have to spend much on a hotel room (probably $125 total). 

I'll tell him I'll see him when he eventually gets there, probably several hours after I do. I can have some snacks and beverages ready for him. 

23 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I am actually going to pay about $1,000 for the flight because I will NOT be crammed into a middle seat between two possibly infectious individuals (yes, I still worry about Covid) so I'm flying premium economy or business class plus I want a direct flight or at the most ONE stop. And I won't fly out of the airport near my brother as the flight options are extremely limited.

Thanks to my brother I will not have to spend much on a hotel room (probably $125 total). 

I'll tell him I'll see him when he eventually gets there, probably several hours after I do. I can have some snacks and beverages ready for him. 

I would do exactly what you are doing . Bravo to you. Because of my very severe claustrophobia I would probably have to be knocked out to fly. I wasn’t like that when I was young. I don’t know what gives but it is what it is . 

So the rear driver's side window of the car I JUST BOUGHT was smashed in this morning.  The thieves got my canvas tote that had disinfectant wipes, kleenexes, a few pair of latex gloves and two pair of over the counter dollar store reading glasses.  I hope they feel it was worth it.

I filed a police report but with no witnesses there isn't really anything they can do.

Fortunately I found a local shop that will come to my home to replace the window and clean up the broken glass from inside the car.  I tried to clean it up and all I got was a cut finger 🙄  They will come today to replace it.

These thefts are rampant in my neighborhood.  I live in a very upscale area and most of the cars are Mercedes, BMWs, Teslas, Navigators, etc.  And mine has the temporary paper license plates so they probably thought they would be getting a bunch of expensive electronics.  Joke's on them.

I hope they get caught and are prosecuted and thrown in jail. Unlikely, but I still hope so.

Welp, they actually tried to steal my car.  Pried open the steering column cover and broke some pieces off.  I literally came within 15 minutes of catching them in the act.  Which would have been bad because, since I wasn't expecting for my car to be broken into, I had nothing with which to defend myself.

My son in law was assaulted by some men who were stealing his catalytic converter.  He still has scars.

• Sad 3
2 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Welp, they actually tried to steal my car.  Pried open the steering column cover and broke some pieces off.  I literally came within 15 minutes of catching them in the act.  Which would have been bad because, since I wasn't expecting for my car to be broken into, I had nothing with which to defend myself.

My son in law was assaulted by some men who were stealing his catalytic converter.  He still has scars.

I am so so sorry. 😓

3 hours ago, Seraphim said:

I am so so sorry. 😓

Thanks. The whole thing has been like a horrible dream but I'm hoping for a good ending.

I got jerked around by the towing company who cancelled on me without even letting me know.  So of course I had to take care of it myself 🙄

9 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Thanks. The whole thing has been like a horrible dream but I'm hoping for a good ending.

I got jerked around by the towing company who cancelled on me without even letting me know.  So of course I had to take care of it myself 🙄

I feel so bad for you . Man , all of that is awful. 😓

My car won't be ready for a full week. Not because the repairs are complex or extensive but, because of the TikTok videos instructing people in how to easily break into and steal Hyundai and Kia vehicles, there's been a rash of break-ins resulting in a backlog of replacement parts orders. So as soon as they get the parts they can do the repairs...but they have to wait until the parts come in.

I did confirm my car had a recent anti-theft software upgrade. This software disables the ability to drive the car if it isn't opened and started using the designated, programmed key. So she just plain wouldn't drive. Good for her. 

I say she didn't want to leave me and go with those thieves 🙂 

• Like 1

It does hurt a bit that my brother has not asked a single time how I am after the attempted theft of my car or how the repairs are coming along. In fact he pretty much stopped texting me. And he used to text several times every day. He has expressed zero concern. 

I do suspect that his "friend" who he visited a week or so ago has finally become more than a friend officially. He did say he's going back next month to see her again, and he wouldn't take a five plus hour (one way) plane trip with multiple stopovers for just a friend. He tends to become completely consumed by whoever he's dating. So I guess he isn't thinking about anything else.

Anyone else find some of the "articles" on here to be borderline offensive?  "What is the most attractive breast size?  Do men like women with dyed hair?"

Apparently women should be objectified? Is this site now a "how to get a man" site along the lines of Cosmo magazine???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Anyone else find some of the "articles" on here to be borderline offensive?  "What is the most attractive breast size?  Do men like women with dyed hair?"

Didnt saw one about the breasts but there is one called "Are soccer legs attractive to guys?". Also from some reason "Do you find this influencer woman attractive?". Worst thing is I am familiar with said influencer(she is not really that famous) so its kinda a shock to stumble upon article like that here. Usually I stumble upon normal "5 things you should do in a situation X" articles here. But from some reason, every subforum has different articles linked based on a subforum. So checked ones on "dating" subforum and they are really bizzare. Found "What does it mean if a guy calls you Chula". What is even "Chula" and who even uses that word lol

Btw Chula apparently means "pretty" in Spanish. Which is extra weird because as far as I know "bonita" or "bonito" means "pretty" in Spanish. So again who even uses that word?

Sorry, just wanted to comment on article situation. 

Chula means cute rather than pretty. You're right that "bonita" means pretty, also "hermosa". 

I guess I should be worrying about which of my physical attributes I can alter to make myself "attractive" to men 🙄 Very weird track for the forum as a whole to take. 

• Like 1

Thanks for a clarification, didnt heard for "Chula" until today.

Anyway, Forum needs to live of something. So maybe "clickbait" articles are a way for a Forum to gather some money. Nobody comments on those articles so dunno how succesful they are in that. But if it made us click and see them maybe they are lol. Anyway, yes, they are baffling from some reason.

56 minutes ago, Kwothe28 said:

Thanks for a clarification, didnt heard for "Chula" until today.

Anyway, Forum needs to live of something. So maybe "clickbait" articles are a way for a Forum to gather some money. Nobody comments on those articles so dunno how succesful they are in that. But if it made us click and see them maybe they are lol. Anyway, yes, they are baffling from some reason.

I'm sure it has to do with money and of course traffic to the site. They need to make revenue from ads and most of us "old timers" don't buy anything from the ads. But perhaps someone who googled "relationship advice" would.

I just find the titles of many of the articles to be off-putting. Like a woman needs to go to extremes with her appearance to "get a man", but the men don't need to alter their physical attributes in order to lure in women.