Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Family and Life Updates

boltnrun

I'm having pain in my left ankle, knee, wrist, hand and shoulder. My right hand is also sore and my neck hurts. I wish I could confide in someone because I'm kind of bummed out. But my brother thought I was "broadcasting" when I told him I fell which makes me not even want to talk to him. I don't want to worry the kids. And my cousin has her own issues to deal with. My good friends would probably worry too. 

I'm just hoping I feel better tomorrow.

I'm so sorry you are in pain and bummed out. I hope you feel better tomorrow too. You are a sweet mom to not want to worry your kids. It's ok to reach out sometimes though too, they love you. Felt good to be there for my mom when I could after all the support she gave me. 

• Thanks 1

So I told my brother I left work early today because my neck and back hurt from the fall and sitting in an office chair was making it worse.  He made a joke about me partying too much.  Zero concern.  My coworkers showed more concern than he has.  I just responded "haha" and he didn't reply.  I guess a middle aged woman who lives alone and takes a hard fall is hilarious and is no cause for even a little bit of concern.  OK then.

Next time he whines about not feeling well I should just make a joke about it instead of telling him "That sucks, I'm sorry.  Let me know if you need anything".

My brother's response to my fall still irks me but I am moving froward from it.  Fixating on negativity breeds more negativity.  I don't wanna.

I went on a really nice walk this morning on the boardwalk.  I came home, showered, had some Eggo waffles and then fixed myself an iced matcha latte.  I'm looking at cars to buy.  I'm going to watch Nascar and order out Chinese.

My dear friend and his spouse are coming to my city for a long visit in about ten days.  I am so excited!  I tend to play Julie the Cruise Director when people visit, but I will make it clear; I am happy to spend time with them and drive them around but I absolutely want them to relax and do whatever they want, with or without me.  I can certainly entertain myself!

1 hour ago, boltnrun said:

So my brother complained to me today that he tripped over something in his home and hurt his foot.  I guess I should have chastised him for "broadcasting" his mishap and then made a joke about it.  Instead I just ignored what he said.

Right ? He was nonchalant about your injury . I would ignore it too and if he says something about it I would say stop broadcasting . 

How are you feeling btw ? 

8 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

How are you feeling btw ? 

I am a LOT better today, thanks. Yesterday I was still sore and the pain was more concentrated on the body parts that took most of the impact of the fall. But today the pain has reduced considerably. I even went on a 2 1/2 mile walk this morning. A beautiful walk along the boardwalk. 

18 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

He's texting me pics of his injured foot. So he wants sympathy but he told ME I was "broadcasting" when I told him I had a dizzy spell and fell. 

I'm trying to think of a joke to send him.

Now I'm annoyed. And I was having such a nice day.

Seriously , I would tell him he had no sympathy for you so don’t come looking. 

I am so glad you are feeling better . 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Seriously , I would tell him he had no sympathy for you so don’t come looking. 

I am so glad you are feeling better . 

I made a joke about how he finally has a perfect excuse to explain why he's just sitting around at home doing nothing. 

And thanks. Yes, I am feeling a lot better. I didn't think I had any real injuries. The dizziness concerned me more. But I plan to make a doctor appointment next week to address that. 

I'm glad you are feeling better too.

Do you have a close relationship where you can be upfront like "hey, it bothered me how you laughed off my injury. I was in a lot of pain and could have used a bit of support." ? 

Giving the benefit of the doubt, could he maybe not have realized how you were actually really hurt ? Or is he just kinda a jerk about these sorts of things in general?

1 minute ago, boltnrun said:

I made a joke about how he finally has a perfect excuse to explain why he's just sitting around at home doing nothing. 

And thanks. Yes, I am feeling a lot better. I didn't think I had any real injuries. The dizziness concerned me more. But I plan to make a doctor appointment next week to address that. 

Yes, that should be addressed . I had a pretty bad dizzy spell last week where I almost passed out as I got up fast into my vehicle but that can be a side affect of my blood pressure meds. 

27 minutes ago, itsallgrand said:

I'm glad you are feeling better too.

Do you have a close relationship where you can be upfront like "hey, it bothered me how you laughed off my injury. I was in a lot of pain and could have used a bit of support." ? 

Giving the benefit of the doubt, could he maybe not have realized how you were actually really hurt ? Or is he just kinda a jerk about these sorts of things in general?

For the most part he's good about my multitude of medical issues. I just think he's really inside his own head these days. He made a series of bad choices and they've been biting him in the butt for the past year and a half or so. 

When he's been insensitive in the past I've just mirrored his responses the next time he wants sympathy. He usually gets the hint. 

This isn't of extreme importance to most people these days.  But it's a big deal to me.

I have been continuing to wear a mask at the grocery store that I shop at most weeks.  It's the only place I still wear one (except the doctor's office where it's still mandated in my area).  I don't wear one at the other grocery store I shop at.  The reason is, the one I usually go to is in a different area where medical care is not affordable for a lot of the residents there.  Unfortunate but true. Also, I seem to encounter a LOT of people at that store who are coughing, hacking, sneezing, wiping their noses with their hands and then handling the items at the store, etc.  All maskless, of course.   The other store is in a high-end area where I presume most people have access to medical care and who generally are not exhibiting symptoms of a respiratory virus.   The first store is a discount store so I can get more with less money, while the high-end store is a LOT more expensive.

All of this is just fluff that tries to explain why I've continued to wear a mask at the first store.  But I really would like to try to stop.  I'm about to head there now and I'm debating with myself.  I guess I can bring one and if I start to feel uncomfortable I can put it on.

We all have to do what makes us comfortable. I still see people young and old who wear masks. I see teenagers who still wear them. It is going to be a long time, or maybe never for some of us to recover from the last three years. Those who live through the pandemic are going to be scarred in someway for those of us who are old enough to remember it. I think it is totally normal. Just remember we’re not far out from something that was what I consider at least catastrophic. It is still very much in our every day consciousness.

I wore the mask. And I noticed about 20% of the other shoppers did too. At the store in the higher end area almost no one wears one. It's interesting. 

It's hard to imagine living like this for the next 35 years or so. But then again I'm exponentially less affected than I was three years ago. That was decidedly awful. 

Great.

There was a deadly shooting at the parking lot of my favorite oceanside trail last night. Two people found dead. I go there alone all the time and it's in a very, very high end area. Always felt perfectly safe there. It's tragic, sad, scary and upsetting. 

This will never stop as long as guns can be so easily obtained. Yes, criminals will get guns if they really want them. But that doesn't mean we should make it so easy. Reasonable, common sense regulations should be implemented and enforced.

The shooting wasn't at my favorite trail. Still tragic.

Note to self: do not eat two day old leftover egg drop soup from the local Chinese food place for lunch. I had explosive, very loud diarrhea at work. Very embarrassing. And uncomfortable.

I'm having a lot of trouble with my eyes. Struggling to focus. And my eyes feel like they're kind of rolling back in my head uncontrollably every so often. I also feel lightheaded a lot. Driving has been kind of scary.

I'm going to be making an appointment with an eye doctor. 

I'm also having a bit of trouble getting used to things being as they were pre-Covid at work. Closed door meetings with multiple attendees, communal food in the break room, hand shaking... it's like no one remembers what was happening just a few short months ago. I am also aware that it's me who has the issue, not other people.

• 2 weeks later...

My friends left after spending a week visiting my town. I am sad 😢 

My brother also left on a week long trip. Even though we bug the crap out of one another I still have him to talk to and now I don't. For a week anyway.

But I am thankful for the time I got to spend with my friends. I hadn't seen them in two years. 

• Like 2