Blame in the work place

Lisii

I work for an IT company, I'm not keen on giving out too many details as it may give away personal info, I will try to explain best I can.

We had a huge process setting up one of our apps for a large client.

The app in question had to be loaded onto their devices which I did, I was not part of the development team, but I did it on my spare time (as I tend to have a lot of it at the moment)

I did 2/3 steps as they had to load the correct details (sorry being vague) the 3 step I was told to leave as the technician was still working on a bug..

I our meeting this morning it has come to light that the 3rd step was omitted and the technician sent the devices to the client..

I am being blamed for it, my boss looked at me in front of all the staff and said how disappointed he was that this happened, and that the steps were not completed.

I feel so bad, I don't like doing mistakes, and I don't want to give excuses, but I feel this blame is unjustified, as the technician sent the devices knowing full well that I was told to wait for him to complete his debug.

Do I just leave it and take the blame, as I am the most junior of the Team (and the only female) - or do I talk to my boss.

I feel stink, I want to cry, I hate letting people/Companies down and I feel targeted.

Am I being over-sensitive??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speak up and explain exactly what happened and why. Do it now.

This isn't about throwing anyone under the bus or displacing blame. You need to stand up for yourself and make sure you boss knows who actually effed things up, how and why.

If your boss is professional, he will revisit the whole procedure to make sure these kinds of issues don't happen again or try to create some kind of quality controls to check that.

This isn't the time for tears, this a time to get angry. Seriously angry. You are well within your rights to storm into your boss's office and tear him a new one, so he never dares to make assumptions about your work again. If you have anything at all, any e-mail, text, anything to back yourself up that you were told to wait for the de-bug, bring it with and slam it onto his desk.

This isn't about throwing anyone under the bus or displacing blame. You need to stand up for yourself and make sure you boss knows who actually effed things up, how and why.

If your boss is professional, he will revisit the whole procedure to make sure these kinds of issues don't happen again or try to create some kind of quality controls to check that.

This isn't the time for tears, this a time to get angry. Seriously angry. You are well within your rights to storm into your boss's office and tear him a new one, so he never dares to make assumptions about your work again. If you have anything at all, any e-mail, text, anything to back yourself up that you were told to wait for the de-bug, bring it with and slam it onto his desk.

Slam it on his desk? Ummmm NO!

I wouldn't "slam" anything on his desk.

One of my coworkers was written up because she slammed something on my desk.

But, do defend yourself. Explain (without placing blame) exactly what you wrote on here. And I'd put it in writing just for your own record in case it ever comes up again.

Also, have a private conversation with the person who neglected to complete their work and ask them if they plan to go to the boss or if they want you to. But do NOT let them off the hook.

....slam figuratively speaking. Not literally. What I am trying to get at is that she needs to go in strong as in powerful and not tearful or whiny.

Place it on his desk with firmness and an air of purpose, confidence and determination with a bit of fire in your eye.....lol......

ha, that made me smile - i'm not the type to slam, I'm the silent tsunami of tears running down the face girl.

I might wait for today to be over and talk to him on Monday when I am more composed.

I now have to face morning tea with them...

ha, that made me smile - i'm not the type to slam, I'm the silent tsunami of tears running down the face girl.

I might wait for today to be over and talk to him on Monday when I am more composed.

I now have to face morning tea with them...

Just go and talk to him. Don't put this off. By Monday he'll have other problems and this is one of those you teach people how to treat you moments. Don't let them treat you like that.

Please do not cry!

That is so unprofessional and your boss won't take you seriously.

But I agree, don't let it sit over the weekend. Just very simply explain what happened.

I've gone to my boss when I DID make a mistake and each time I was told they appreciated my honesty and the fact that I wanted to clear the air.

And if you let this sit all weekend you'll have an awful, stressful weekend and you'll dread Monday morning.

I am being blamed for it, my boss looked at me in front of all the staff and said how disappointed he was that this happened, and that the steps were not completed.

Whether it was your fault or not, that is soooooo unprofessional of your boss! A competent manager would never set up such a terrible dynamic, especially in a team environment! I don't think that your feelings are unjustified at all. Anyone in your shoes would feel that way.

Any chance you can transfer to another department or work for someone less foolish?

Was it the technicians job? Why did you do work because you had spare time? Did doing stuff you were not assigned step on toes? A lot of jobs require social intelligence as well as whatever skill set involved.

Storming into the office reading the boss the riot act before you reflect on your role and why you were the fall guy may seem bold but as the junior person it may seem as aggressive and overambitious as doing other people's work when not asked to.

I was not part of the development team, but I did it on my spare time
Was it the technicians job? Why did you do work because you had spare time? Did doing stuff you were not assigned step on toes? A lot of jobs require social intelligence as well as whatever skill set involved.

Storming into the office reading the boss the riot act before you reflect on your role and why you were the fall guy may seem bold but as the junior person it may seem as aggressive and overambitious as doing other people's work when not asked to.

We are a small team (can't divulge too much) - I do all the extra's on top of my role - to help with my understanding with the systems that we are developing (very complex - not something you can learn from tutorials, just practice and time), they all knew I wasn't busy and it's only fair that we spread the load sometimes.

I wont storm, like I said I'm not that kind of a person, I will ask him if I could take a couple of minutes of his time and then just explain (without tears - hopefully) that I did what was asked, he can decide what to do from there.

We don't have departments, just job descriptions.

Absolutely no tears!

Do you usually cry at work if something goes wrong?

I don't want to shame you for being emotional, but it's usually not looked upon favorably when someone cries at work. It looks like that person can't handle situations.

Yeah, ask for a few minutes, then calmly explain what happened. Don't place blame or try to say it wasn't your fault. Just state the facts and then ask for his input.

I'm sure this will all blow over, but hopefully in the future this boss won't be so unprofessional as to call someone out in front of the group!

I don't cry as in sob, but I have a few times had tears streaming down my cheeks, which I can't control... (I can't handle being screamed at by work mates or clients - due to my PTSD, I don't have tough skin or board shoulders, words hurt)

I don't think they notice being men and at the opposite side of the office... I put my head down tail up so to speak and hide behind my glasses.

Thanks Mel, - I forgot to mention, my boss is very old school, and hates excuses.... I feel like I will be feeding a fire .

There is a big difference between making an excuse and defending yourself!

Had you dropped the ball and tried to cover up why. . then that's making excuses.

If someone intervened and it was out of your control. . you do not take the hit and defend yourself.

(I have to deal with this sort of thing all the time at my work. I learned this the hard way)

"tear her BOSS a new one and SLAM it on to his desk"??!!!?! WTH? How about speaking with your boss calmly and like an adult, instead of acting like an insane person and explain what actually happened.

You have to stick up for yourself, this wasn't your fault.

Archived