Trip anxiety

Cheetarah

I'll be flying out somewhere tomorrow for something...political. So there's a few things going on here.

Anyway, I haven't flown since before I had my son. I used to be really afraid of it, but basically forced myself to get over it by taking trips, alone(oh...the days of when I had the funds to do that).

Well now, it's been about...5.5 years or so since I've been on a plane. And despite all my previous work to get over it, I'm totally afraid again. I do have a Valium script, I've crossed over from a diff benzo for weaning purposes. I'm actually ahead of 'schedule' in terms of the weaning, but I intend to take an additional pill before I get on the plane.

I've never been away from my kid for more than a workday. I'll be gone 3 days. I miss him already and I haven't even left.

I'll be somewhere I've never been before, with a bunch of strangers.

I have to talk to members of congress and their staff about an issue that's dear to me. There will also be a media event.

So in a nutshell, I'm terribly nervous and can't seem to quell the anxieties. I've been sitting here deep breathing and meditating like I'm Buddha's lovechild. I've even tried ASMR(google it - It is very...strange). I can't seem to calm myself. Anyone...Tips, tricks, life hacks? Don't get me wrong, I'm also excited but the nerves are outweighing that majorly right now.

Replace anxious thoughts by visualizing success until you feel the high from that. Daydreaming about what the whatever you going for would do if you win lawmakers over and they take up your cause, etc. Visualize flight, not as scary plane, but as a bird soaring in the sky and incredible sense of freedom and satisfaction from that. Maybe find a video or two on youtube - eagles in flight, that sort of thing. It's replacing negative thoughts with positive ones. Initially it will take pure will power, but the more you do it, the easier it gets until it's second nature.

This is used a lot in sports. Visualizing winning, visualizing a perfectly executed move, etc. The more you visualize that success moment, the more it becomes reality when you actually go to do it.

Hey, don't knock ASMR I love those videos! My favorite videos involve either kinetic sand (love the scratching noises) or "humbrushing" - women brushing their hair and humming songs softly. Very relaxing.

That said, I do still get a bit nervous before flying. I think it's normal for a lot of people. What helps me is getting a drink of alcohol before/during the plane ride (in your case, you have Valium so that actually works better, haha) AND reminding myself of the statistics. I say to myself "Look, you're getting nervous about this plane. But do you get nervous before getting into your car almost every day? No? Then you (referring to myself) need to stop because you're way, way, WAY safer in a plane than you'll ever be in a cruddy car. If you can get into a common death death known as a car without breaking a sweat, you got this. This is one of the safest places you can be right now."

I remind myself of how many accidents happen, how many people I've seen maimed from MVAs, etc. It's weird but it works for me because I remind myself of how, statistically, I'm way safer than a plane and maybe even feeling a twinge of "man, I'm glad I'm going to be safe up in the air instead of traveling in a car".

Recently, I've felt terribly afraid of flying - even though I've flown tons of times and know that it's irrational. I'm due to fly transatlantically for my sister's wedding in a few months and am absolutely dreading it, so I feel you. On my last few flights, it's helped me to have music to listen to, and, while it makes my seat neighbors hates me, it also really helps for me to make inane small talk with my neighbor. It's hard for me to be extremely anxious and talk to a stranger at the same time, so it ends up forcing me to relax. Another thing I do is recite poems or song lyrics in my head - helps to have something mechanical to focus on (almost like a mantra, but they are just poems I know).

For the rest, vigorous exercise and then relaxation (or a vigorous yoga class that ends with more relaxed stretches) helps a lot with my anxiety.

I hope the trip goes well! Sounds like a big thing in the best possible way - good for you!

Ooh, I just found this, looking for insomnia relief.

Google 4 7 8 breathing techniques.

Almost every article and guide I've found says that oxygenating your system in this fashion can be exceptionally useful for someone suffering from anxiety related issues.

Good luck!

I can only talk about the flying. I get on the plane every day. Today it's 3 flights still one to go 17 hrs total. Urggg. Don't worry about it. You know all the facts. Don't worry about the strange place or strangers either. Think of it like this. Everyone is bound to go someplace people do it everyday, it can't be that hard. Good luck

I remind myself that it makes no sense to commit to a trip only to stew about it and harm myself over it. Either I'm on board with my own plans, or I'm not. If not, there's my answer, and if so, there's my final answer. Stress is a bigger threat to me than the odds of anything bad happening, so why self-impose harm?

I move my focus beyond all else but the goal point. I operate efficientlyand I take good care of myself rather than drill my mind and my health into a deeper hole to climb out of.

Decide whether you're committed to your trip, or not. If not, abandon it and consider the lost airfare your tuition for the learning experience. If you're committed, lock on to that like a steel trap and focus on where you're going instead of creating obstacles to getting there. Build pride in your efficiency and in becoming a 'good' traveler, and don't indulge in the kind of thinking that doesn't help anybody, least of all yourself.

Head high, you can do this--either way.

Good morning guys,

Thanks for the responses. I worked out HARD last night and I'm operating at about 3 hours of sleep, so I'm too tired to be as anxious as I was. At this point my only concern is whether my baggage is overweight, lol. I don't travel light.

I realize I feel trapped and that's why I feel the way I do. I wouldn't lose any money canceling this trip - The organization I am going with would. Although I realize I can still back out, I would feel worse doing it on their dime. But if I got THAT BAD at the airport - Freaking out and such - Then I would do what I need to do to take care of myself, even if that means backing out.

Been up for 2 hours and my eyelids are still half closed - Drowsiness, carry me through!

Glad to hear you made it. Even though we r complex individuals. I have noticed funny things while flying that makes us all the same.

Everyone has fear of the activity. I've had people hold on to me or there chair total strangers. Watch a sleeping person while landing it's almost 100% panic. Most people don't talk till the very last couple minutes. I always found this funny. You know they wanted to but for whatever reason didnt. The elderly are very talkative. It's very rare even though I sit next to people daily that a conversation starts. It usually happens with older people. Hope the rest of your trip goes well.

And yes soph, I chatted the ear off of the guy next to me! He welcomed it and said he experiences anxiety himself, so he like to chat too. Win win.

Yay! Im glad that helped a bit. Were you able to sleep through any part of it? I try to go on tired but no matter how much I nap during boarding my adrenaline always wakes me up before take off and keeps me on high alert. I hope the trip is productive and fun.

Yay! Im glad that helped a bit. Were you able to sleep through any part of it? I try to go on tired but no matter how much I nap during boarding my adrenaline always wakes me up before take off and keeps me on high alert. I hope the trip is productive and fun.

Flight home was great - Minimal anxiety.

I think it was very productive and I'm super glad that I did it. I logged so many steps on my FitBit my feet feel like they are going to fall off. I wound up getting a pedi and foot massage before I left.

No, no sleep - Full flights, lots of convos around me, and the guy next to me had a little tot on his lap on the way home. Most well behaved kiddo I've ever seen anywhere, let alone on a plane. Apparently he is already a little seasoned traveler. I let them have my window seat(I had a bunch of water prior to boarding, anyway) for distraction purposes.

Archived