Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

incredibly spooky/creepy incident with my cell phone today...

musicman777

Hey everyone,

So my mom is very sick in the hospital right now (full story here ). My sister was at the hospital with her today. I decided to call her while she was there with my mom and things.

In the middle of the phone call, something really weird happened... probably one of the weirdest things that ever happened to me in my life. I was in a bar/social club when I was calling her. In the middle of the the call, there was some kind of interference. My phone started making these EXTREMELY bizarre sounds, these weird beeps and blips, static, then in-between all the noise I could very clearly hear what sounded like BREATHING. The static would start again, then more breathing. And it wasn't my sister; I mean something was going on with my phone. It wasn't a dropped called, it was hardcore electromagnetic interference, and in a old building that really didn't have much in it to interfere with my signal. I was near my dad, and then I went to put it on speaker cause I wanted him to hear this weird crap in my phone. It suddenly stopped when I did that and then I hear my sister "hello", and she talks as if nothing happened! Like I lost 20 seconds of time or something during this phone call! I can't explain it!

Now here is the weirder part. With my mother, her mother died back in the 70's before I was born. But on TWO occasions, I had very very vivid dreams of her. I mean, facial features, her hair color, one dream was in black and white. Another dream I had of her I was emailing her from the great beyond in a graveyard on my macbook. I sometimes feel that, I don't know, I have some kind of connection to her mother. I always took care of my mom really well for the most part, more than my sister. I took her to do things, go to shows/concerts, I've done a lot for my mom and maybe it goes recognized?...

I want to mention, I am an extremely scientific person. I don't believe in ghosts, the paranormal, I'm hardly religious at all. But, these dreams with my grandmother who I never met. I seen she had black hair in the dreams, and it turned out she had jet black hair before I seen any photos of her really. And I was wondering, what if of her deceased family members was trying to say something during this call? It was really weird. I mean, because it was her, and her daughter (my mom) is in such grave condition right now. And this isn't something like a dream this time. I mean an actual phone call this time, with physical observation of things happening. And the breathing on the other end of the phone. But who was it? Was it her, or her dad who also died a year after her mom? Or someone else?...

My mothers younger brother also died back in 1996. He was 39 years old and died of a bleeding stomach ailment in his sleep! I was also wondering if it was his "spirit" if such things do exist. What else is weird about that; walking up to the hospital, I seen an early 80's model Monte Carlo parked beside the hospital, and it was the exact same year/model car he drove when he died. Keep in mind, that is purely coincidence such a car would be parked there. It obviously belong to someone young, it had custom rims, a custom black paintjob, and a monster energy drink the middle. But it was still odd that same car he had was there...

Any, uh, paranormal people here want to join in here? Whether you "believe" or not, you have to admit some of the stuff with the dreams and this very strange phone call with breathing and loss of time, it's spooky to say the least. I am actually so creeped out from it right now I'm afraid to go upstairs in bed, the house is empty tonight, dads not home, only the dog sleeping next to me. I have chills. I am just so spooked by this bizarre phone call today. I've never ever heard a cell phone do that like what happened today, I can't explain it. Maybe I'm just watching too much X-Files lately...

I can't say what it was, but in my family we have always communicated with our dead relatives, or our about to die relatives.

I usually get the communication in the form of dreams. I dreamed of my mother after she died. I even asked her in the dream why she came to me in a dream, and she kind of chuckled and said "I figured if I just showed up in your room it would scare you, so I thought a dream was a better idea". She told me she is happy and that "up here" (meaning where she is now), you have no pain so you can do things you could no longer do down here, such as hike up a mountain (which we were doing in the dream, whereas before she passed away she had difficulty walking). She also told me not to be afraid because when you die, someone you love and who loves you who has gone before you will come to you and walk you to where you're going next. So, I don't fear death at all. I just worry about not being a good enough person to be chosen to go where she is, so I'm trying really hard to reconcile my relationship with God (which has always been rocky lol).

Also, my beloved uncle passed away a little over a year ago. Before I even knew he was seriously ill, I dreamed of him too. In my dream he looked younger than he was. He was smiling his wonderful smile and just talking like normal. Somewhere during the dream I must have realized he'd come to tell me he would be going soon. Next thing I remember during the dream, I was in his lap crying and telling him "I don't want to live without you" (I was very, very close to this uncle for very good reasons). And he patted me on the back and told me everything would be fine. A week later, I found out he had become very ill and that there was serious concern. He passed away a few weeks later. Fortunately, I did get to see him before he died.

So, I 100% believe that these things happen. Science doesn't know everything. Shoot, it wasn't all that long ago that everyone thought the planet was flat and that the sun revolved around Earth!

PS: I hope I haven't frightened you with talk of death. Your mother very well could recover and live many more years. I sincerely wish her a full recovery and that she is soon feeling better.

Hey Musicman,

I'll start off with there is a fine and mostly hard to define line between science and the paranormal, simply because we don't know enough and empirical evidence is lacking (thankfully I like a little mystery).

I presume you were on a cell phone when this call happened, it could be as simple as a bad link due to the structure you were in or a problem with the switch gear. (80% of all wireless goes through a wired system) So it's possible you were getting an overlapped signal, interference due to a close in-band problem (I've seen this happen a few times), or something as simple a bad light ballast. (I have 10 years in the wireless industry and weird stuff happens!)

That said, it could very much be something from the other side of the veil. The dreams some would write off as just active imagination, however the vividness of this sort of dream always leads me to believe that there is something beyond the regular dream state. As with a lot of haunting suspicions, I would heavily suggest that you start keeping a log of these dreams and oddities to see if there is a pattern with your waking world or not.

I have experienced quite a lot of the paranormal, a few I could debunk but many more I could not; which left me seeking more answers.

Best wishes for your mother!

i would say if she's in the hospital there's a whole lot of stuff that could've caused the bizzare sounds.

still though..on the unexplainable stuff...i believe 100% that you could've caught a glimpse of something from the other side of the veil, and i too work in the "science" field so i don't buy just any ole voodoo. my family and i and most everyone i've met has had an uncanny experience or several that were way too precise to be written down to coincidence, imagination, stress or psychosis.

i have also known many people who swore they saw dead relatives or friends when they or their family were very ill (but recovered--- one actually told me her dead parents were waiting by her bed when she was in critical condition and after several nights she just asked them to leave because she wasn't ready to come with them just yet due to having young children of her own who needed her---she recovered and the parents never returned.) many people recount having visits from the deceased when they need help. a friend of a friend was warned in hypnagogic state (between dreaming and waking) by an apparition of her mother to go to the doctor for a breast exam. she had experienced nothing suspicious health wise before. they caught her breast cancer early and she's fine. some just say they got comfort and encouragement. so i second the thought to not jump to the conclusion that an uncanny sensation necessarily indicates your mum is leaving. strange things happen. i'm not even inclined to call them unexplainable, i believe fully there is a perfectly logical explanation for everything, we just haven't found it yet, and we don't need to know everything either. the human race can't be trusted with much knowledge until it has the selfless benevolence to match.

maybe someone appreciates you a lot and is just trying to let you know they're there for you and your mother.

on the funny side of spooky...this once i had left my laundry drying outside on the line during the night. well, several times. each time when i picked it up in the morning, i had a feeling i had collected a lot less laundry than i'd hung the previous night. i began suspecting someone was stealing it, although why they would bother taking just one sock from a pair eluded me. i figured they did it out of mischief purely. i also would hide underwear between two rows of sheets and towels so it wasn't visible, a thief would have to go through the laundry quite dilligently to pick out clothes only. a lot of my not so cheap things were missing, i was quite bummed although i should've known better than to leave it outside at night. weeks later, i forgot to run the wash until late in the evening and had no room inside left to dry it so i figured i'd risk it and hang it outside one more time. before falling asleep i thought to myself i sure would like to know who stole it. in the middle of my nice deep sleep i swear to god a loud and clear voice speaks like inside my head while i'm sleeping GET UP SOMEONE'S MESSING AROUND YOUR LAUNDRY LINE. it was so loud and clear i jumped from bed, straight to the door, fuddled with the lock and by the time i jumped out to the jard i saw two figures, male and female running from underneath my laundryline to the street, my knickers and tights in hands and my laundry line looking as impoverished as a string of frayed prayer flags in the himalayas. i got me an indoor telescopic drying rack and a dehumidifier after that lol.

I don't know what scares me more, the story or the horrible, anti-science talk in this thread. Sticking to the scientific, analytical part of your brain will do you more good than fooling yourself with supernatural stuff. Given how unreliable our memory can be, I'd let dreams be dreams and focus on what's real. There are dozens of different reasons why a cell phone call could be subject to interference, this reminds me of the tools that run 'Ghost Hunters' and then keep listening to the recordings over and over until they hear something, anything that vaguely resembles words. Add captions and a ton of confirmation bias and voila, ghost 'evidence'.

Unexplained stuff is just that, lacking an explanation. It doesn't become spooky and paranormal just because we can't explain how or what exactly happened. Accepting something as true just because one can't disprove it is not scientific at all, that is just an argument from ignorance fallacy.

Boltnrun, I believe that flat Earth was disproven through evidence in 3rd century BC. Geocentric models (based on the work of Ptolemy and heavily supported by christianity) were also proven to be incorrect. It wasn't through feels and dreams, it was thanks to empirical evidence.

Well, I refuse to believe that we know everything there is to know. Science is constantly learning new things, things that were thought of as impossible before. And perhaps science will prove there is a different plane of existence through "empirical evidence".

And I stand by my experiences too. I had no way of knowing that my uncle would be diagnosed as critically ill a week prior! I even told several people of my experience before I had confirmation he was ill. So it's not hindsight or backtracking.

Nobody is saying that we are at the point where we know everything about the universe. Just that without evidence, you can believe pretty much anything but you are not justified in saying that you know it. Science may prove another dimensions, maybe even the afterlife but the time to belive it comes after it has been proven, not before.

Dreams that somehow relate to real life events (and yours in particular) are great examples of the post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy, something that's fairly common thanks to how our brains work and how we tend to create patterns or see causality where there is mere coincidence.

Don't take me wrong, I did not mean to somehow put down your experience. I do believe that you had a dream and that other things happened after it, the logical fallacy is in drawing causation between those two events based on their order.

eta: on a less jerky note: i don't think people necessarily make the link that a dream proves this or that to be true and it certainly didn't sound like that to me in the examples given. rather, what i got was simply that sometimes you get a glimpse of knowledge that is considered impossible to obtain through currently recognized modes of aquisition. noone said "the fact that people dreamed of the earth not being flat is proof that it isn't and if science just listened to the weirdo dreamers we would've known the earth's true shape sooner". i see statements about insight into knowledge from the simplified notion of beyond being possible and often documented. whether the beyond is within or without isn't being debated, but if we really want to get philosophical and scientific, it's supposed to be both. now that's bizzare. or not.

it's okay musicman. noone cares whether the origin of weird experiences is internal or external. if you draw meaning, solace, encouragement from it, as do many people, you're okay. when you tell us there's venusian elves in your phone microchipping your ear and manipulating your brain activity...we'll have another talk. until then, outrageously un-scientific prayers to you and your mum

My final thoughts on this and then I'm moving on.

I never said my dream CAUSED my uncle to become ill. My uncle came to me in a dream to comfort me because he knew the upcoming frightening news and his impending death would upset me greatly. And I didn't suddenly come back later and say "Oh, but I had this dream!!" I told others of the dream BEFORE I was told he was ill. So I wasn't rewriting history, backpedaling OR using hindsight.

Anyway...I agree that the instruments and equipment in the hospital room could have caused the phone to act wonky. There are signs all over hospitals warning people not to use cell phones because they could cause interference, but everyone ignores those signs (myself included). But I know there are things that can't be explained, and I won't dismiss them just because science hasn't caught up yet.

I've had too many "outside the realm of the normal" experiences to discredit what happened to you or look for a "logical" explanation. One of my favorite Shakespeare quotes is from Hamlet: There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet, Hamlet to Horatio

Given that we are creatures of emotion and with no clear positive "everyone can see, touch, taste and feel" what happens to us after we pass on is it really a surprise that perhaps even though the body dies, something of that person--call it a soul, their spirit, their essence, or something else--doesn't perhaps live on and/or try to reach the living sometimes?

Your experiences are your own, you shouldn't discredit what happens to you. Even if it seems to make no sense, sometimes what is simply is.

For the record I've seen a few ghosts, heard them too. And yes, my dreams sometimes mean more than simply dreams whether it's that something supernatural happens or just that my brain processes information that may be so subtle I don't consciously pick it up, but subconsciously I do. I don't care if no one believes me, it was my experience.

And in the end that's really all that counts, what happens to you is what happens to you.

P.S. Musicman, as unnerving as these experiences are keep in mind this is family you're talking about, so there's no real reason to believe they would hurt you. And none of the "ghosts" or "spirits" or whatever anyone does or does not want to call them that I've experienced have ever been able to do anything beyond temporarily freak me out. It's not like a ghost can pick up a sledgehammer and smack you with it or break into your house and steal anything (thank God, right?) so there's really kind of nothing to fear.

P.P.S. Rainy, that story is hilarious. I can just see some ghost hanging around, "Ah man, they're stealing her stuff again? Okay, that's it. Time to Swayze it and warn her!"

I've had too many "outside the realm of the normal" experiences to discredit what happened to you or look for a "logical" explanation. One of my favorite Shakespeare quotes is from Hamlet: There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet, Hamlet to Horatio

Given that we are creatures of emotion and with no clear positive "everyone can see, touch, taste and feel" what happens to us after we pass on is it really a surprise that perhaps even though the body dies, something of that person--call it a soul, their spirit, their essence, or something else--doesn't perhaps live on and/or try to reach the living sometimes?

Your experiences are your own, you shouldn't discredit what happens to you. Even if it seems to make no sense, sometimes what is simply is.

For the record I've seen a few ghosts, heard them too. And yes, my dreams sometimes mean more than simply dreams whether it's that something supernatural happens or just that my brain processes information that may be so subtle I don't consciously pick it up, but subconsciously I do. I don't care if no one believes me, it was my experience.

And in the end that's really all that counts, what happens to you is what happens to you.

"

Beautiful reply ParisPaulette I agree with this as well..

Archived