Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Last movie you watched?, Part 2

Ac143

Forrest Gump, again.

And this time I have to say that movie is D-A-R-K. My memory was poor Forrest kept getting jerked around by the girl he loved. This time I realized holy cow, Jenny was being sexually abused by her father, Forrest probably saw it (remember when he's peering through the windows and talking about how Jenny's father loved her and her sisters, he was always kissing on them and touching them) and then there's the scene where she and Forrest flee into the cornfields and she prays she can fly away from her drunk angry father who is trying to find her.

And after that the entire movie I'm like, "Oh god, this girl is suffering from living in hell as a child and this guy is literally too dumb to have gotten that that's why she runs from him. She feels she isn't good enough for his innocence when hers was so viciously stolen away from her. Also no wonder she's doing drugs, jumping from abuser to abuser."

I have to admit the second time around I was a whole lot more interested in Jenny's story than I was his. There were other things that were just really kind of dark and awful too, but that was the biggest one for me. This was not the fluffy bunny warm sentimental movie I remember. This was pretty much a lesson in what childhood abuse can do to a person.

I cried just as much this time watching it, but for very different reasons.

Voodoo Chile - Bootsy Collins voices the words of Jimi Hendrix taken from letters and interviews, against a timeline formed by concert footage, location shots etc.

Interesting characteristics of quality emerge: a drive to learn, always. A focus on his craft and an affection for it. Clarity about those whose work informs him. A vision of how his work connects to the world around him.

Forrest Gump, again.

And this time I have to say that movie is D-A-R-K. My memory was poor Forrest kept getting jerked around by the girl he loved. This time I realized holy cow, Jenny was being sexually abused by her father, Forrest probably saw it (remember when he's peering through the windows and talking about how Jenny's father loved her and her sisters, he was always kissing on them and touching them) and then there's the scene where she and Forrest flee into the cornfields and she prays she can fly away from her drunk angry father who is trying to find her.

And after that the entire movie I'm like, "Oh god, this girl is suffering from living in hell as a child and this guy is literally too dumb to have gotten that that's why she runs from him. She feels she isn't good enough for his innocence when hers was so viciously stolen away from her. Also no wonder she's doing drugs, jumping from abuser to abuser."

I have to admit the second time around I was a whole lot more interested in Jenny's story than I was his. There were other things that were just really kind of dark and awful too, but that was the biggest one for me. This was not the fluffy bunny warm sentimental movie I remember. This was pretty much a lesson in what childhood abuse can do to a person.

I cried just as much this time watching it, but for very different reasons.

Interesting. I had a very negative response to this movie when it came out. Felt like it was exploiting Forrest, people like Forrest. That it made him an object. I wanted to walk out.

Red Dragon

I read the book a few weeks ago (and before that, decades ago). The movie did an ok job conveying the major elements of the story. Obviously entire sections of the book were omitted, but appropriately so. They had good actors, and the acting was decent. Sometimes Ralph Fiennes was a bit overwrought, and I wasn't too keen on Harvey Keitel as Jack Crawford. But my biggest pet-peeves were that they overemphasized Hannibal Lecter's role in the story, and they changed the ending for no good reason.

The book was a lot better.

The movie Manhunter was also based on this book. I plan to watch that one, too. That movie was pre-Silence of the Lambs, so I expect Lecter's role won't be so out-of-whack. Interested to see how they handle the ending.