Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

4 month trip, advice and tips hugely appreciated!

Parsley

Hello!

I'm starting to plan a four month trip accross Canada now, and need some help on places I have to make sure I see! I've got a few places already noted down, tell me where I can bypass or where I'm a fool to be missing.

I fly out in September and return in January, it's just going to be me, scary but so exciting! I've been researching what I need to have ready for when I arrive, and found an article saying I would need a detailed itinerary when I arrived. My plan had been to follow my nose somewhat...have the skeleton of a plan but have some give in how long I stayed somewhere if I loved it, or if I got bored. This article spoke about have street addresses of where I would be staying. I'm planning to stay in hostels, and not necessarily book them all before I go (so I could have a little more leeway) but am I going to have to to satisfy immigration officials? A couple of friends are also thinking about joining me around Christmas or New Year for the holidays, but will probably not know for definite until after I leave, in which case where I need to be and where I stay could change. Also, it seems as though I will need to get myself a credit card just to prove I have funds...although I have a whole lot of savings I will be taking with me. I understand why a credit card could be a good idea, but I don't want to unnecessarily tempt myself or have to worry about paying credit card bills from abroad!

Here are the places I have thought about visiting already:

Toronto (this is where I fly into)

Niagara

New York (short trip)

Montreal

Quebec City

Ottawa

Winnipeg

Saskatoon

Edmonton

Clagary

Banff

Whistler

Vancouver Island

Vancouver (where I fly home!)

Thank you for any help you can offer, happy to hear if I'm overthinking or worrying, I just want to make sure I have no nasty surprises!

P

x

Niagara - the falls of course!

Vancouver - Stanley Park/aquarium; anywhere near the ocean; take the skytrain!

Ottawa - the canal, parliament hill

Toronto - CN tower, take a walk around downtown; much music (but not sure its still called that); Canadas wonderland, science centre

Edmonton - west Edmonton mall.

Saskatoon - HA whats in Saskatoon?

Banff/Vancouver/Calgary: the mountains/rockies

Quebec City/Montreal: les francophones

hmm I'll think of more!

I was in Montreal years ago and there are some really amazing works of architecture there. Churches and other buildings. Worth a site seeing tour.

Anytime I've been in Toronto was to visit the Hockey Hall of Fame, so I have only been in the downtown area, but its a great city.

Canada has hostels, lol?

I thought we only had those sketchy motels for 49$ a night.

Also, you NEED a credit card.

A lot of hotels won't even let you stay without one for the damage deposit.

I've driven accross Canada TWICE & I had a blast even though i was alone most of the time.

If all you need is a nice shower, I suggest skipping hotels and getting a day pass @ a nice gym.

For 12$ you have access to nice showers, toilets, outlets, etc.

I'm a girl so I have to get READY (shave, hair, etc.) but I wasn't going to pay 50/night so this worked out for me.

Skip Saskatch.

No cell or radio service for 12 h

All I saw was a donkey

Hey Parsley

Good to see you on here. Sounds really cool!

I haven't done any research on entering Canada, but when you hear about requirements for proof of onward travel and sufficient funds, it's usually because immigration is worried about people staying in the country to work illegally. I'd say with a return ticket and a credit card (which I think you should get regardless - if you have an emergency and need to buy a ticket home right away, need to pay for medical care or anything like that, it will come in VERY handy), you'll be fine. I highly doubt you would need a full itinerary with all reservations made.

Have a great time!

link removed

link removed

link removed

link removed

link removed

Basically look up any area you want to visit and ask for the biggest attractions and it will tell you what there is to see.

I am a Canadian and I love my country!! I've seen almost every bit of it and I think all of it is beautiful. I hope you enjoy your visit to my country.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a shame that you’re skipping the east coast! It’s SO beautiful! But Canada is a big country, so it’s hard to do it all in one trip. If you come back, definitely go there! Halifax is a blast.

From your list:

Toronto- Canada's Wonderland! link removed Also, Kensington Market: link removed

Niagara falls is a good choice.

I thought Ottawa was overrated, but I was there in the off-season (a few weeks before Christmas). I heard that they have some good events in the summer, and skating on the canal in the winter when it is frozen enough, but I ended up spending most of my time at the shopping mall. There are free tours at the parliament building which are worthwhile. I also HIGHLY recommend taking at least one of the tours of the jail hostel (available to all, even if you are not staying there): link removed

Winnipeg can be pretty sketchy, especially downtown and after dark. Don’t go walking by yourself there at night! The Forks is worth seeing: link removed I have also heard good things about Corydon Avenue: link removed and Osbourne Village: link removed If you have the ability to venture out of the city at all, I also recommend Spruce Woods Provincial Park: link removed

I agree with above posters about skipping Saskatchewan. The scenery is... nonexistent.

I haven’t been to Banff in a long time. It is nice, but very touristy. If you prefer less touristy settings, you might like Waterton better: link removed

I hope that helps. Enjoy your trip!

Im with Psych. I would swap Sask for some east coast if you can. I think its pretty easy to get to from NY, Ottawa or Montreal. I am going this year and I could not be more excited. Did you say powerhour? (26 beers for $65 bucks, make some friends at the hostel)

Don't expect sleep at the Van hostels, especially Samesun. You can get hockey tickets there too at a discount price. Not the best seats in the house but you will have a great time either way.

I have not been to Montreal yet but I know from the many Quebecers here on the west that it is PARTY CENTRAL. Looks like it has good eats too. And a nice park to walk your hangover off!

Mont Royal Park

image removed

When you travel to NY, depending on if you go by bus or plane you will need an ESTA(plane) or a Visa Waiver (bus)

The visa waiver info is here, and DO NOT FORGET to hand it back into Canadian officials on the way back in otherwise the next time you go to Canada you will be seen as and overstayer and refused entry. If you do forget there is an address in Kentucky you can post it but its a hassle to find. The ESTA they rarely ask to see, but have a copy on you (you don't have to hand this in at the end)

link removed

link removed

IF you are traveling alone, link removed is full of people who want to show you their city! Its also helpful if you get in a tight spot for accommodation. I have shown a few solo travelers around Whistler in the last few years and invited them out with my friends etc.

Archived