Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

The little birds in the nest right outside my bedroom window are being dutifully fed by their mama. They are very cute- they keep sticking their heads out of the nest. It won't be long before they learn to fly, and I really pray that my cat doesn't get them.

He lost his collar with a bell on it while chasing a mouse into the bushes. I just have to dig around to find it.

This weekend my younger son and I went out of town for a math competition. He said the math problems were really difficult and really made him think. He didn't place, but he thought it was a good experience.

We stayed with a friend, so while he was taking the exams, my friend and I went to the farmers market. I actually ran into someone I know there which was funny, since I was out of town and so was he.

We went out to eat later and then drove home. Actually, my son drove, so he could get some good driving experiences in.

My son and I had a nice talk on the long trip, which was great. We got back about 10 last night, and his friends were waiting for him to get back so they could hang out. So we went over to his friend's house at 10:30 pm and I dropped him off.

It is funny how a teenage brain gets revved up at night just about the time I am ready to go to sleep.

It was great, Silver. There is nothing like having a captive audience for those long talks on a long drive.

We discussed math problems and strategies, longterm and short term goals, the consequences of not following driving laws, financial stuff, college, and whether his brother is jealous of him (he is not).

He was worried, because my in laws were originally going to give their old car to my older son. But older son does not have a driver's license. So the car would have just sat at my place.

In the end, my ex decided to buy the car from them- my in laws needed the money suddenly, and my ex is tired of driving our younger son around to all of his activities and sports events. Younger son will get his permanent license after school is out for the year.

So I know that older son is fine with that. And the car is NOT in my younger son's name. It is his dad's car.

Anyhow, it was a great talk all around.

I miss all of that with my own son. I so look forward to his visits. Has made me want to contact him today.

The driving your son will be doing will help him get in lots of practice for when he is in more challenging driving situations.

Yes, he did about 5 hours of driving last weekend when we went out of town. But he does need to practice parallel parking .

It was great, Silver. There is nothing like having a captive audience for those long talks on a long drive.

We discussed math problems and strategies, longterm and short term goals, the consequences of not following driving laws, financial stuff, college, and whether his brother is jealous of him (he is not).

He was worried, because my in laws were originally going to give their old car to my older son. But older son does not have a driver's license. So the car would have just sat at my place.

In the end, my ex decided to buy the car from them- my in laws needed the money suddenly, and my ex is tired of driving our younger son around to all of his activities and sports events. Younger son will get his permanent license after school is out for the year.

So I know that older son is fine with that. And the car is NOT in my younger son's name. It is his dad's car.

Anyhow, it was a great talk all around.

Hahahaha I love having them a captive audience . glad you got to have a good yammer.

Yup, I lectured him on privilege. If he abuses the use of the car, then the use of it goes away...

Am I the only one who gets lectured by my son? Unfortunately. For a long while I have been very untidy with my car. It's filled with horse stuff, gardening tools, clothes, shoes, empty water bottles. My son has cleaned it for me and did a lovely job. He had insisted on doing it for me. Last time he visited, he saw it was a real mess on the inside again. He took photographs and told me he would post on Facebook!

Went for a 3 mile walk yesterday with my walking buddies. I meant to come home and get a lot done but I ended up napping all afternoon.

Today I didn't have to teach Sunday school so I skipped church all together. I have finished a book that I had been reading and now I must get up and get some things done around here. Like have some breakfast at 3 pm. And mow the lawn and get ready for the week.

Just a taste of what I can do this summer to recharge for the fall...